Seat recline - is it the cabin steward's responsilbilty??

KarateMan, just because you want to sleep on a long-haul flight does not mean others can or want to, so to say they are rude is a little off IMO. I could equally say that your behaviour in expecting me to do the same as you is rude (not that I would). I like to have the meal even though it is late, although in J class I have been known to snuggle down after main and forego desert or cheese.

Overnight flights in Y are not my favourite but it's a matter of "suck it up" IMO and recognise that this is a cheap fare.

I deliberately wrote what I did because I knew someone would soon take the bait and respond. I found this original post very offensive that it declared seat recliners rude. I then constructed an argument to prove how hypocritical some people are and to also point out that perhaps people should look at things from another point of view.

I have just proved my point and many others were quick to take the bait.

Not taking the bait. Way too obvious.

That's why I wrote what I did. It puts a whole new spin on things when people look at things from another point of view don't you think?

Its easy for someone to call "seat recliners" rude and label them as "space invaders", however if I were to put a spin on that and label the light users rude, it becomes a different story

To be perfectly honest I cant understand why a thread like this would be started. People have to put up with all sorts of things on a flight.

Pity you do not approach this board as it was intended then and spend your time waiting for people to 'take the bait'. Some people consider posts to be a person's view, obviously I am incorrect.

Can't be bothered with your posts anymore; you've lost all credibility with me.

Nothing personal of course.

Hi All

I am sure there are many discussions on this topic but cannot find one in 'Australia' forum.

I seem to always get behind persons who love to recline every God given minute apart from when 'they' are eating or get up to go to the loo. Last time I flew back from the USA, fellow in front of me reclined as soon as he sat down, then was told to sit up during take-off, sat up while he had his meal and back he went even though we were still eating and trays were not removed:( Steward asked him to sit up until all were finished but this request was ignored. This was a day time flight!

My husband and I decided we would not do economy on long flights again and would pay the extra to upgrade to avoid these issues.

I recently flew from Brisbane to Melbourne and low and behold same scenario on a 1.5 hour flight. I asked this passenger to kindly sit up until coffee was finished. Got a dirty look but don't care.

While I like to recline also, especially on long haul flights am considerate of timing and passenger behind me.

Not sure how much responsibility if any is the airline steward or should be a personal request.

End of rant.

What I find irritating about flights is this. My recent Tokyo flight from Sydney and return. The flight left Sydney at 9:30pm and arrived Tokyo around 7:30am. Now my biggest gripe with that flight was the face that they seem to think you want a meal service an hour after the plane has taken off. Who the hell wants a cooked meal close to mid-night on an overnight flight!! To make matters worst this cooked meal delayed the time I could get some precious sleep meaning that I would be extremely tired on arrival at a time zone similar to the time zone I was leaving.

There were insane people nearby who somehow thought it was appropriate to have lights on and read the entire flight. How inconsiderate and rude!

Even worst breakfast was at a time like 4am.

Lucky I booked exit row seats as I could stretch my legs out and get some sort of comfort.

If I had that time again I would have used my points for a business class flight and shut myself off from everyone else and reclined onto a long sleep omitting both meals and telling the stewards to leave me be.

While I take your point, I fail to see how the two can be compared. One is a customer who does not listen and is rude to the Airline staff and others, the other is about preferences while flying without any rudeness.:confused:

While I take your point, I fail to see how the two can be compared. One is a customer who does not listen and is rude to the Airline staff and others, the other is about preferences while flying without any rudeness.:confused:

The point is what right does the person in question have to complain about people reclining their seats. It is something they are entitled to do. If they want to get comfortable then its their right to do that.

While I genuinely did not like the way my overnight flight to Tokyo was run and feel they could have omitted the meal and immediately dimmed the cabin lights to allow sleep, it has more credibility than getting irritated by passengers reclining their seat.

With my posts I was immediately able to identify the people that jump on the bandwagon and support ridiculous claims of rudeness without thinking of things from another perspective.

The point is what right does the person in question have to complain about people reclining their seats. It is something they are entitled to do. If they want to get comfortable then its their right to do that.

While I genuinely did not like the way my overnight flight to Tokyo was run and feel they could have omitted the meal and immediately dimmed the cabin lights to allow sleep, it has more credibility than getting irritated by passengers reclining their seat.

With my posts I was immediately able to identify the people that jump on the bandwagon and support ridiculous claims of rudeness without thinking of things from another perspective.

if you made a suggestion to the company what big m said it should be ok

I like the way Emirates do it though. You get some stickers that say 'do not disturb' and 'wake me up for meals'.

So anyone passing can see your preferences and do as you would prefer.

Your perferences could have easily been resolved with a conversation with the air hostess. You be wiser for the knowledge now and can ask next time you fly to let them know you don't want to be bothered.

No comment needed here after all.:D

if you made a suggestion to the company what big m said it should be ok

I like the way Emirates do it though. You get some stickers that say 'do not disturb' and 'wake me up for meals'.

So anyone passing can see your preferences and do as you would prefer.

I like Emirates as a brand. Never had a bad flight with them. I think my worse long haul flight was with United Airlines from LA to Auckland.

What I find irritating about flights is this. My recent Tokyo flight from Sydney and return. The flight left Sydney at 9:30pm and arrived Tokyo around 7:30am. Now my biggest gripe with that flight was the face that they seem to think you want a meal service an hour after the plane has taken off. Who the hell wants a cooked meal close to mid-night on an overnight flight!! To make matters worst this cooked meal delayed the time I could get some precious sleep meaning that I would be extremely tired on arrival at a time zone similar to the time zone I was leaving.

People are on MANY different times zones on these long international flights. What might be too late for a meal for you could be just right for others.

There were insane people nearby who somehow thought it was appropriate to have lights on and read the entire flight. How inconsiderate and rude!

A well-fitted, silk-lined eye shade will easily fix this problem. Some people, like me, can never sleep on any flight so I read ALL NIGHT with the light above MY seat. Your using a sleep shade is far easier for you than my having to spend many hours with someone's seat reclined all the way unceasingly.

I don't think anyone hear is saying you cannot recline your seat fully, The salient point is courtesy. Maybe saying to the person behind you that you intend to take a nap for a few hours so that they can prepare; go to the restroom, grab another book from their carry-on, perhaps switch seats with another in their party, etc.

A well-fitted, silk-lined eye shade will easily fix this problem. Some people, like me, can never sleep on any flight so I read ALL NIGHT with the light above MY seat. Your using a sleep shade is far easier for you than my having to spend many hours with someone's seat reclined all the way unceasingly.

I don't think anyone hear is saying you cannot recline your seat fully, The salient point is courtesy. Maybe saying to the person behind you that you intend to take a nap for a few hours so that they can prepare; go to the restroom, grab another book from their carry-on, perhaps switch seats with another in their party, etc.

Or more importantly, NOT WEAR their drink on the meal tray.

The other thing that makes me scratch my head in amazement is that there are times years ago I do recall sitting in ordinary economy seats.

At no times did I ever feel squashed in or cramped when people reclined their seats in front. I could easily get out of the seat with the ones in front fully reclined and could even have something on the tray.

I seriously don't get what the issue is. There is plenty of room for the average sized human to be comfortable.

The other thing that makes me scratch my head in amazement is that there are times years ago I do recall sitting in ordinary economy seats.

At no times did I ever feel squashed in or cramped when people reclined their seats in front. I could easily get out of the seat with the ones in front fully reclined and could even have something on the tray.

I seriously don't get what the issue is. There is plenty of room for the average sized human to be comfortable.

Years ago there was more room in Economy seats. Those would be the old days that you remember. Times have obviously moved on from your days and they now cram many more seats into the same spaces they had when you were flying.

Years ago there was more room in Economy seats. Those would be the old days that you remember. Times have obviously moved on from your days and they now cram many more seats into the same spaces they had when you were flying.

I have certainly noticed that seat space on the new planes have much less room than the planes ten years ago, it may only be a few inches, but those few inches make a big difference when the seat is reclined and the tray is out.