Capri pants in dining room??

emilymad

I am sure this has been asked a millon times before but the search isn't working for me. Is it acceptable to wear capri pants in the dining room for informal nights? I have them in tan, black and white. Thanks!

You will see many women in capri's on casual nights, so wear them if you want to. Avoid wearing a T type shirt with them. That makes them look like you're out shopping in port or hanging by the pool. Just my opinion.

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

Yes, wear any color you choose. I'll be wearing brights, white and black. I have silk or silky tops to pair with the capris or crops. Shoes will have kitten heels. Chandeliers, drops or larger hoops and bracelet(s) and I'll be set for casual nights.

Karen icon_cool.gif

Carnival Miracle 10/24/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;10;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I too will be wearing some I am making. While I will wear them with a solid color t-shirt, I also will be wearing a matching jacket.

Kathy

Last Cruise -- Maasdam - E. Carrib - 11/03

Next Cruise -- Volendam - Eastfarer - 12/04

When you say no t-tops is it acceptable to wear a nice jersey top in a solid color. I also have matching jersey tops with a pattern to match the capri and they have little jewels on them.

Emily, you wrote that you want to wear capris on informal nights and that isn't really acceptable. Capris are just great for casual nights but definitely not informal nights. You will find that informal nights mean nice dinner suits or dresses you would wear to dinner at a very nice restaurant at home. For informal nights the men wear jackets, nice shirts and maybe a tie. Your capris will be just fine for casual and you will not look out of place.

Darcie

I think I am confused on the classifications of different nights. When I said informal I meant casual nights. I guess I was thinking that there were formal nights and then everything else. I am planning on taking some dresses. I just didn't want to have to bring 7 different dresses. Thanks for letting me know. icon_smile.gif

icon_confused.gif Same here.....I thought informal meant casual icon_confused.gif

Well, I'll be dressing for dinner in either one of 2 ways.....formal for formal nights and casual resort wear (which to me includes capris and a nice shirt or also slacks and nice shirts). No biggy.

=o) Judy (o=

This IS a confusing classification. Here in the US we have come to think that informal=casual. In many other countries, informal equals what we would call "SEMI-FORMAL"--coctail dresses, dinner suits, fancy pantsuits, etc. for women, suit or at least sports jacket and tie for men.

Not ALL cruiselines HAVE informal (semi-formal) nights, however, Celebrity and a few others DO. If your cruiseline has informal it should be listed in your literature and perhaps on their website.

There are actually three classifications for cruise clothing. Formal, Informal/SemiFormal and Casual/Smart Casual. Some cruise lines have formal and casual nights and some have formal, informal and casual. Celebrity, HAL, Crystal, Seabourn, Radisson, QM2, and Silversea have all three designations. Carnival, NCL, Princess and RCCI usually have just formal and casual.

Darcie

icon_smile.gif O.k., Kitty....that explains it clearly. I'm sailing next Sunday on the Conquest.....that ship falls into the Formal and Casual category. Thanks for helping me understand the difference and the why of it all. icon_wink.gif

=o) Judy (o=

It wouldn't hurt to pack one nice skirt to wear on informal nights. This way you will have the choice just in case you see others are dressing a little more dressy.

I took several long summery skirts and they could be dressed up or down. I had casual tank type tops to wear with them or my shorts for shore excursions or around the ship, as well as nicer sleeveless shells to mix and match with my skirts and pants for the dining room.

Mariposa

On Princess, dress guide lines are Formal nights, Smart Casual nights. No T-shirts for smart casual unless you wear a jacket. Capri's are fine with a nice collared shirt!

Charlene

~~lvs2cruz~~

Sun Princess - Feb.7/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;02;7;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Ummm....RCI uses Smart Casual, too. Women usually wear really nice pants outfits or dresses. Usually matching tops and bottoms, too.

Casual night is where we all wear capris, which is what the OP was talking about.

Peggy - RCI since 1973

I usually buy capri sets so I don't have to worry about matching tops. I love wearing them on casual nights!

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charlene:

On Princess, dress guide lines are Formal nights, Smart Casual nights. No T-shirts for smart casual unless you wear a jacket. Capri's are fine with a nice collared shirt!

Charlene

~~lvs2cruz~~

Sun Princess - Feb.7/05

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;02;7;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0700

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why a collared shirt? I have very nice Halter style tops that were pricey. Are these not acceptable with a nice pair of black capris??

Price is not necessarily indicative of acceptability. Besides, you'd probably freeze to death in a halter top.

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

I know the store. I agree there are some pretty items in there - but most are way too trendy for me. And way too skimpy as well. icon_biggrin.gif

As someone who gets cold easily, from what I have heard, even my gown, with cap sleeves, will be accompanied by a wrap. I think I would be chattering in a halter top.

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Since when did Princess quit doing semi formal night? they always had formal, semi formal, and casual on all my cruises. And so does RCCI.

Someone stated these 2 lines only had formal and casual.

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

• 1 month later...

Just remember that all capris are not created equal!

I have a pair of faded denim capris and another pair of khaki capris that are great with tees or oversized button-down shirts; I wear them with fake-birkenstock sandals or Keds sneakers. I enjoy wearing those outfits, and they look good on me, but NO WAY would they be acceptable in the dining room even on casual night. On the other hand, I have one pair of capris that was bought as a set. They're colorful and look "put together" -- they'd be just right for casual night. I think I'll look for a couple more outfits like that before our next cruise.

Archived