Elite Laundry Change?

Av8tor

Let's be fair. The notice shown in an earlier contribution to this thread was not saying that the benefit had changed.

It simply said that, because of the anticipated high demand for the service, it might simply not be possible to process everyone's laundry within 72 hours.

Yes, people are right when they say that the problem is partly caused by the fact that, by giving the short cruises the same value on the path to Elite as a 68 day Grand Adventure, Princess are making it perhaps too easy for people to obtain Elite status and thereby overburdening the system. However, we also need to look in the mirror and ask ourselves whether or not we are causing the problem by using the benefit in a way which was not originally intended.

I suspect the real problem is that people are taking unreasonable advantage of the system and want to go home with a suitcase full of clean clothes. IMHO, that is not what the perk is intended for and there would not be a problem if folks only sent down things which they wanted to wear again during the cruise.

We send down perhaps two bags of laundry on a 15 day cruise and only include items which we expect to want to wear again on the cruise. Anything we do not intend wearing again we take home with us.

I suspect that, in the fullness of time, Princess will conclude that the only way to address the issue will be by either limiting the benefit to X bags, or offering a 'laundry credit' similar to the internet minutes credit.

If they do go down that path then I suspect that most those who make 'normal use' of the benefit will see no difference, other than perhaps a welcome return to 'next day' service and it will only be those who seek to take full advantage of the benefit who will lose out.

Pam: Not sure that limiting it to one bag per day would work as it might result in everyone sending down one very small bag every day rather than a large bag every three days. Probably much better to go down the path of an allowance of one bag for every two cruise days, to be used at any time during the cruise, but subject to an end of cruise limit of no more than two bags in the last four days.

Note: The end of cruise limit will be necessary to stop folks sending down 7 bags two days before the end of a 15 day cruise and insisting that they are entitled to next day service!!

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I think one bag per day is very reasonable. On the Royal last year, my steward told me that some of his passengers were sending out 5-7 bags a day, every day, in a variety of sizes. It's unfortunate but a reality that a few will ruin it for everyone else.

Who in this world would really bring that much clothes on any cruise? People complain and use the excuse that they cannot dress formal due to airline restrictions. Then they are sending out 1 bag of laundry per day or even 5-7? What about the person who dumps her suitcases the first day to get everything cleaned/press so they can put it all on hangers for her?

People abuse the system and could care less about others.

Just off the Regal today. We were handed the laundry bag with a notice attached that stated the laundry would take up to 72 hours. We had 900 Elites on board and it did take 3 to 4 days to get laundry back. We are also advised that the cut off for sending out laundry was Oct 30 at 9am. Our cruise ended today 11/3.

I view this as a dilution of yet another Elite benefit caused by too many "45 day/15 cruises" Elites. :rolleyes:

Just off of the Regal 29 day Maiden TA.

Usually took 4 days to get my Laundry returned.

Princess had a notice on the Elite Laundry Slips advising of a 3 day return.

I can't imagine people sending down so much laundry unless they are in hot humid weather and on tours but that isn't every day. We usually wear swim suits everyday on the ship in warm climates and I wash them out myself. I am very picky about my clothes and get very attached to some so I don't want to wash things to death. I never completely dry my clothes in the dryer. My dh and I wear mostly Tommy Bahama clothes and there is no way I would send them through the ship's laundry. I wash a load and may send some just to be ironed. We dress for dinner and wear them for a few hours but there is no way they need to be washed every time. I hardly send any of my clothes down and never any of my lingerie. I usually send the guys underwear, shorts, socks and t-shirts.

I agree that these short cruises are allowing too many people to reach elite status - change it to days and not cruises.

Better yet, give me back some suite internet minutes and I will do all of our laundry.

Not necessarily true. You can still use the on board laundry. That's what we do and your laundry is back in a couple of hours.......

Island Princess 2008 Alaska

Island Princess 2009 Alaska

Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess 2012 Alaska

Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean

Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean

Royal Princess 2014 New England

Future Cruises

Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean

Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

OK, this seems like a good place to ask this since the OP mentioned it.

What IS the price for expedited laundry service for Elites? Is it what is marked on the forms? Just wondering as I am considering a TA next year after a bus tour in Europe (that has a limited luggage allowance).

Thanks,

Tammy

We got the same notice on the Island last month, 72 hours. The thing is, there were a total of only 23 elites!

Okay, it would appear then that the 72 hour possibility IS a new policy for Elites Laundry to reduce complaints when it takes more than 24 hours though it wont automatically delay the return of laundry by 72 hours. This on its own might also slightly reduce the amount of Elite Laundry.

The idea of a laundry $ credit for Elites does seem like a better way though it would sure be nice to have the allowance credited per day rather than per cruise. One bag per cabin per day still seems like the very extreme "high end" of "being reasonable" to me. We became Elite 4 cruises and 52 sea days ago and have averaged 1 full bag every 5 to 6 days and still feel very decadent!

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

I agree. This is a problem of Princess' own creation. IMHO, the only fair way to achieve a level should be by cruise days. That levels the playing field for everyone.

Sounds like a positive improvement! However, the cat is out of the bag and she won't be put back easily. :eek:

I think one bag per day is very reasonable. On the Royal last year, my steward told me that some of his passengers were sending out 5-7 bags a day, every day, in a variety of sizes. It's unfortunate but a reality that a few will ruin it for everyone else.

This also sounds like the old trick of sending out bags for other people who don't have the privilege of Free Laundry! They will ruin it for others if they don't quit! :mad:

While we are not elite and probably never will be, we do book suites and it slows laundry down for us! :(

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

With all the 3, 4 & 5 day cruises, the problem is only to get much worse very shortly. I'm waiting to see them cap the laundry benefit with a dollar value or limit it to 1 bag a day which make it fair to everyone. Although right now there are no limits, there are some people who abuse the laundry amounts to the extreme.

We could live with either option very easily. :D

Just got off the Ruby, Quebec City to FLL. There were over 600 Elites. Laundry turnaround was turn in by 9AM and it comes back the next day around 6PM. Never had a delay.

We were on this cruise as well in a suite and got same day service no charge just like always.

Mike:)

Capping the laundry limit to a $ amount would penalize those taking longer cruises and make it really not fair. :( You're far less likely to send out laundry on a 7-day or less cruise.

So is limiting the internet minutes or bar setup. People on a 4 day cruise get 1 setup as do people on a 10 day trip. :cool:

One bag per cabin per day still seems like the very extreme "high end" of "being reasonable" to me. We became Elite 4 cruises and 52 sea days ago and have averaged 1 full bag every 5 to 6 days and still feel very decadent!

Terry

I agree. Last week onboard the Ruby we changed clothes twice a day and only sent out one bag of laundry three times during a 12 day cruise.

I think one bag every other day would be more than sufficient.

Mike:)

Capping the laundry limit to a $ amount would penalize those taking longer cruises and make it really not fair. :( You're far less likely to send out laundry on a 7-day or less cruise.

Internet minutes vary with the length of the cruise and there is no reason at all to prevent them varying the amount of 'laundry credit' with cruise duration.

What is interesting about this thread is that seems to be general agreement that something needs to be done to curb excessive use.

Just my thoughts re laundry on "Elite heavy" cruises:

* there should be no free laundry for cruises of 5 days or less

* Princess should only provide 3 bags per elite cabin on 14 day cruise - a surcharge should be applied for additional bags

* although it would be difficult to do anything about the perks given to 45 day Vs 150 day elites, it would certainly reduce the demand for the ship's laundry service. (Perhaps it's time to level the playing field and/or restructure the loyalty program?)

Since I don't qualify for this perk, I think I can see it objectively. :) If the objective is clean clothes, there are several options: laundromat on board, hand wash in the sink, bring enough clothes to last the cruise, or reconsider "clean" and wear some things more than once before washing. However, if the objective is "I earned it and I'm using it," then I guess using it will come along with some problems that must be endured. (As problems go, though, this one seems a little less horrific than some...;))

* Princess should only provide 3 bags per elite cabin on 14 day cruise - a surcharge should be applied for additional bags

* although it would be difficult to do anything about the perks given to 45 day Vs 150 day elites, it would certainly reduce the demand for the ship's laundry service. (Perhaps it's time to level the playing field and/or restructure the loyalty program?)

Just because the cruise is 5 days or less, doesn't mean that we haven't been traveling beforehand and could still use the benefit. We've also taken short cruises back to back, and could use the benefit on them.

If people are abusing the benefit--sending out laundry for others--then Princess needs to crack down on them.

Just because the cruise is 5 days or less, doesn't mean that we haven't been traveling beforehand and could still use the benefit. We've also taken short cruises back to back, and could use the benefit on them.

If people are abusing the benefit--sending out laundry for others--then Princess needs to crack down on them.

"geoherb", so agree!

Really feel this is the problem: Sending out cleaning/laundry for others who aren't even in the same cabin with them.

On our last cruise a woman was telling people she just met to bring their things to her cabin because she could send them out and have them cleaned for free. :rolleyes:

Another time, a woman was reminding some from a large family group with 10 different cabins to make sure their family members got things from everyone to be cleaned to her by 5 o'clock because she needed to fill out the laundry forms.

These are just two examples. Unfortunately, it happens frequently. :o

LuLu

I think three per cabin for 14 days is a little stringent. Three bags per elite passenger on a 14 day cruise is fine by me though. That is probably about what my mom and I each average on a 15 day cruise - a bag each every five days or so. I already don't like having to sacrifice my minibar setup on our sailings because we room together - I would hate to be restricted from a bag every five days for the same reason.

Unless people are limited with either a bag limit or dollar value there is no effective way to curtail any abuse. If they realized their was an upper limit the laundry problem would come to a quick end.

Since I don't qualify for this perk, I think I can see it objectively. :) If the objective is clean clothes, there are several options: laundromat on board, hand wash in the sink, bring enough clothes to last the cruise, or reconsider "clean" and wear some things more than once before washing. However, if the objective is "I earned it and I'm using it," then I guess using it will come along with some problems that must be endured. (As problems go, though, this one seems a little less horrific than some...;))

Your suggestions for Elites using the laundromat, hand washing, packing more clothes and "rethinking clean," absolutely negates the benefit that we earned! It is up to Princess to fix the problem they created.

Your suggestions for Elites using the laundromat, hand washing, packing more clothes and "rethinking clean," absolutely negates the benefit that we earned! It is up to Princess to fix the problem they created.

I agree. The question is which is more important, clean clothes or using the benefit? My point is that it is possible to get clothes clean, but using the benefit seems to carry with it some problems there is no (current) way of getting around.