Internet Speed on the Quantum

KingHal

Hasn't it been said though that it's slow due to the location of the ship? It is supposed to be much faster once closer to the US Coast and more so once it gets to lower latitudes. I'd also put money that it's dying thanks to all of the people on board desperately trying to upload photos and post here!

Would you mind posting a clearer photo of the prices? Please?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

$225.95* Cruise Plan (which we bought).

$189.95* Unlimited Plan.

$55.95* Daily Plan.

$26.95* One Hour Plan.

(*Before Crown & Anchor Discount - the "coupon price" in the photo is for a Gold C&A Member. This cruise is 8 nights.)

ImageUploadedByForums1415209246.015727.jpg.5819f0b3be96f8c14b8da8af4b8b9f71.jpg

Edited by KingHal

Wow! Are you paying that price now with the speeds you're getting? I would say something if you didn't already to RCL to get a credit back. Thank you for taking time to post the info and the photos I appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pretty sure it's been stated that the internet won’t be at full speed until QoS is at American (as a continent not a country) latitudes because the satellite only has coverage for that area. I’m sure another satellite will be available on Europe and Asia by the time Quantum and Anthem are around those places.

¿What's the difference between the cruise plan, and the unlimited plan?

Edited by ReneFlores

Pretty sure it's been stated that the internet won’t be at full speed until QoS is at American (as a continent not a country) latitudes because the satellite only has coverage for that area. I’m sure another satellite will be available on Europe and Asia by the time Quantum and Anthem are around those places.

Yup, it has. Fast speeds are not yet enabled on Quantum. Gotta configure the satellite once they are near Bayonne.

Edited by hitaway4

Cruise plan = 2 devices logged on at any one time.

Unlimited plan = 1 device logged on at any one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am surprised to hear a complaint about the speed of the Internet during the crossing. We have a friend on board who has been emailing regularly, and who has also been on other cruises, and she is just shocked at how fast the Internet is compared to other shipboard Internet. She also said that it will get even better once it approaches America, but nonetheless is very impressed by the speeds they've been having.

I am surprised to hear a complaint about the speed of the Internet during the crossing. We have a friend on board who has been emailing regularly, and who has also been on other cruises, and she is just shocked at how fast the Internet is compared to other shipboard Internet. She also said that it will get even better once it approaches America, but nonetheless is very impressed by the speeds they've been having.

Yes, I am on board and speed is excellent compared to other cruises, I have Skyped regularly with perfect quality. Don't know about the switch on of the new Internet, but very happy with unlimited for 2 people for 8 nights for $230.

I don't know how anyone can be happy with it.

Here's 2 new speed tests - one from last night, one from this morning:

As if to prove my point - upload failed.

I'll post the links instead:-

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1025631919

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1026117525

Finally, to correct an error earlier, I said "3D internet" - it's actually "O3b internet". See from the FAQS on the O3b website for details on the technology in use:-

Why is it important for O3b satellites to be 'close-to-Earth'?

Standard Geosynchronous (GEO) satellites operate approximately 36,000km away from Earth. As a result, round-trip data transmission times significantly exceed 500 milliseconds. O3b's Medium Earth Orbit (MEO) satellites are far closer – approximately 8,000km away from Earth. As a result, round-trip data transmission times are reduced to no more than 150 milliseconds.

This virtually eliminates the delay that plagues voice and data communications via GEO satellite systems. For example, it means that users can download a web page four times as quickly.

What types of antenna will be used by O3b Networks?

O3b's system employs parabolic antennas, which can handle large chunks of data. This helps O3b to deliver an ultra-low-latency trunking solution.

In what frequency band will O3b Networks operate?

O3b satellites will deliver services on a dedicated Ka band. Benefits of this frequency include very large bandwidth availability, a low utilisation by existing satellite systems and the ability to use smaller antennas.

Our dedicated Ka band will enable O3b to provide Gigabytes of capacity via its satellite transponders.

Why does O3b Networks use an equatorial orbit?

An equatorial orbit enables O3b to maintain permanent coverage of the earth using a relatively low number of satellites. Indeed, at a distance of 8,062km, just six satellites are sufficient to achieve constant coverage.

Can O3b Networks expand its satellite fleet easily?

O3b is positioning its satellites in an orbit 8,062km from Earth. This orbit is free from the obstruction of other devices, making it easy for O3b to launch additional new satellites as demand for services grows.

The initial launch of O3b includes eight satellites. Further satellites will be sent into orbit during the 18 months following the initial launch.

How do the satellites' on-board antennas work?

O3b Networks' satellites are equipped with steerable antennas, which, like those used on imaging satellites, have the ability to remain locked onto a fixed location on Earth as the satellite passes overhead.

What is O3b Networks' coverage zone?

O3b Networks was founded to provide affordable and high-quality internet connectivity across emerging markets. The coverage zone between +/- 45 degrees of latitude was defined in order to deliver services to almost all emerging-markets countries, with optimal cost efficiency.

I would assume it's in one of the orbs on top of the SeaPlex just like all the other antennas.

That was my thought...but since they've installed it on Oasis & Allure as well (with no SeaPlex) knowing what it looks like would be both interesting and a reference point for future installs on other ships.

That was my thought...but since they've installed it on Oasis & Allure as well (with no SeaPlex) knowing what it looks like would be both interesting and a reference point for future installs on other ships.

The satellite dishes are covered in round white domes, and they all look the same from the outside. I've done several Skype video calls which have been quite successful. Transfer rates checked with Speedtest have been very disappointing, and that's to be expected until we get operating on the O3B satellites when we get closer to the East Coast.

The satellite dishes are covered in round white domes, and they all look the same from the outside. I've done several Skype video calls which have been quite successful. Transfer rates checked with Speedtest have been very disappointing, and that's to be expected until we get operating on the O3B satellites when we get closer to the East Coast.

Thank you for taking the time to report back on that!

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/media-centre/press-releases/2014/date-for-third-o3b-launch-set-for-december-2014

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/media-centre/faqs

8. What is the overall system capacity?

Overall systems capacity is 80Gbps.

9. What is your coverage area?

O3b’s constellation covers all sea and landmass within 45 degrees latitude north and south of the equator.

After my post above, on the morning of Nov 7th, I cancelled my internet package and asked for a refund - which was given. Today they have announced that they are refunding everyone's Internet package charges, and have opened free internet to all from 3pm EST - hence I am posting again.

It wasn't just a question of internet speed, which was horrific. There were also serious problems even getting an IP address. Most of the time, I couldnt even get my devices to connect to the Wi-Fi to even log in. It could take several attempts to do that

It seems that they are seriously short in ports for their routers onboard. No matter how fast their system is, if there arent enough ports to get access, it doesnt matter.

Everyone was given free access to the "improved" Internet after 4PM on the last day of the sailing. While there was some spotty improvement in speed, overall, it was hardly noticeable. BTW, my Blackberry would not work at all.

Like many other things on the ship, it's a work in progress.:cool:

Everyone was given free access to the "improved" Internet after 4PM on the last day of the sailing. While there was some spotty improvement in speed, overall, it was hardly noticeable. BTW, my Blackberry would not work at all.

Like many other things on the ship, it's a work in progress.:cool:

I understand that RCCL was going to be installing 100 new WiFi access points when they boarded on Monday. The O3B people are telling me that the problem isn't with the satellite link but apparently with Quantum's own local networking resources. FWIW, though, my throughput tested at about HALF the throughput after we got onto the O3B connection, and it hadn't been great before that. :-( Hopefully it will be much improved by the time I board again on Nov 23rd.