passengers who have docked in jamaica in the past few weeks

Akitkat118

My cruise goes to Falmouth Jamaica next week... and after reviewing everything that I have read on these boards and in the news about the Chikungunya virus, I decided the best course of action was to purchase a small bottle of Deep Woods OFF! at my local drug store and put it in my luggage.

Better to have some protection against the little buggers than nothing at all!!

Was there in Oct. Didn't see any mosquitos.... Now biting ants? That's another story! Hurt like the dickens & swelled up like crazy! But no issues. Bug spray is your friend. I left mine on the ship...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'd still bring DEET. We've had a few cases of Chikengunya here in Texas but all these were from Caribbean island visits. The thing about the mosquitoes that DO carry chikengunya, they are more active during the day. I don't know if it's a different species of mosquito or if the virus makes them behave differently. I'm bringing and applying DEET just in case and I'm not one that normally goes around spraying myself w/ chemicals.

I was there last week. I am one of those people that gets bit by mosquitoes if there is one within 5 miles. I am very sensitive to them. We took bug spray and towelettes but didn't need either. We spent the day at Rose Hall Hilton and were not bothered by any bugs at all.

What are you doing in port? Are you doing a jungle tour (rafting or hiking), or are you going to stay near the beach? This will make a difference as to whether or not you'll see mosquitos as well.

Yes I agree...hopefully people will chime in. We are booked for the Blue Hole and now almost everyone from our group wants to change it to a Marley tour or something else.

how is the mosquito situation looking over in the jamaica ports if you get off the ship in the past few weeks?

specifically ocho rios?

is it very mosquito-y?

I just returned on nov 8. We were in Ocho Rios on the 6th. I went armed with Deet. Applied the ole sun screen first then Cutters before disembarking.

We went inland to The Blue Hole, then rainforest. I never saw a mosquito and was not bitten either. I would not go so far as to say it is overblown. I would suggest you take the proper precautions. I am a senior and my doc told me to go and have fun. That I did!!

Kathleen

Jamaica has had less than 100 reported cases from Dec. 27, 2013 to Oct. 24, 2014, one of the lowest incidents in the Caribbean along with Grand Cayman and Turks and Caicos among a few others. (Per the Pan American Health Organization as reported in this week's NYTImes).

That's less than 100 cases of all of the people traveling there and living there (2.72 million live on the island add to that 1-3 million visitors) in the past year. I wouldn't make too much of it at this point. Definitley not enough to cancel a cruise or stay onboard (which by the way doesn't make you immune to a mosquito bite).

Just returned from our Caribbean cruise... Falmouth was one of the stops. I am one of those people that seem to attract skeeters and the bites swell up badly. We spent the day at Blue Hole, tubing on White River and Bamboo Blu Beach. I didn't have one mosquito bite.

Returned to NJ today and spotted a skeeter buzzing around me in my garage. Not one skeeter in the tropical Caribbean, but they were waiting for me at home!

shootingstar07, mrsfuzzmo and chanthor13...THANKS MUCH for your post. I am going to try to convince the group to go Blue Hole instead.

Would you mind telling me exactly what Deet or Cutters product you used so I can purchase the same?

Jen

I bought Cutters Back Woods. Has Deet at 25%. My husband traveled throughout Africa for The World Bank, and their medical department always issued Cutters to all employees on assignment in mosquito infested countries.

I hope you can convince your group it is worth seeing the Blue Hole. I have traveled extensively and it is one of the most gorgeous places I have ever seen. Just remember to put your sun screen on first, then the bug spray.

Kathleen

Just returned from our Caribbean cruise... Falmouth was one of the stops. I am one of those people that seem to attract skeeters and the bites swell up badly. We spent the day at Blue Hole, tubing on White River and Bamboo Blu Beach. I didn't have one mosquito bite.

Returned to NJ today and spotted a skeeter buzzing around me in my garage. Not one skeeter in the tropical Caribbean, but they were waiting for me at home!

Hilarious...thanks!!!

Jen

I bought Cutters Back Woods. Has Deet at 25%. My husband traveled throughout Africa for The World Bank, and their medical department always issued Cutters to all employees on assignment in mosquito infested countries.

I hope you can convince your group it is worth seeing the Blue Hole. I have traveled extensively and it is one of the most gorgeous places I have ever seen. Just remember to put your sun screen on first, then the bug spray.

Kathleen

Yep...Blue Hole is back on. Yeah!!!! Everything I have read - it just sounds amazing. With all the postings I see for Blue Hole...has it started to get crowded like Dunns Fall.

And THANK YOU for the Cutter's advice. Will definitely get that. Did you have mosquitos issues at Labadee? Then again, not sure which cruise ship you were on. :-)

Yep...Blue Hole is back on. Yeah!!!! Everything I have read - it just sounds amazing. With all the postings I see for Blue Hole...has it started to get crowded like Dunns Fall.

And THANK YOU for the Cutter's advice. Will definitely get that. Did you have mosquitos issues at Labadee? Then again, not sure which cruise ship you were on. :-)

Jen

The Blue Hole is not crowded at all. We must have been there about 90 mins. During that time we probably encountered 2 - 3 mini vans with tourist for a total of max 30 people. Dunns River has thousands each day. Access to the blue hole is over dirt roads. So far, the cruise lines have not added BH to their tours. I am not sure why that is. Perhaps it has to do with liability. Don't forget water shoes. They are better than sandals. You walk over a lot of loose rocks and I was able to do it without twisting an ankle or worse yet, ruining my new bionic knee!!!:eek:

I was on the Ruby Princess and we docked in Ocho. Have a great trip. Do post back here and let us know how you enjoyed the excursion.

Kathleen