So... Luxury costs so much more?

computerworks

Yes, YOU would spend that but I bet most people who sail on NCL wouldn't. And that is the point.

I rarely consider what 'most people' do. :cool:

We always get the Bev package when we sail NCL. The purpose of the comparison was to demonstrate value in a real-life apples-to-apples comparison.

Two similar cruises...with virtually identical attributes.

I hope for that extra 120 bucks we are paying... that we see a similar level of service on Regent that we do on NCL. ;)

We always get the Bev package when we sail NCL. The purpose of the comparison was to demonstrate value in a real-life apples-to-apples comparison.

I hope for that extra 120 bucks we are paying... that we see a similar level of service on Regent that we do on NCL. ;)

I'm pretty sure you will, computerworks, if nothing more than the size of the cabins! I don't know how big the Sun is, all the NCL ships when I see them in ports seem huge.

I'm pretty sure you will, computerworks, if nothing more than the size of the cabins! I don't know how big the Sun is, all the NCL ships when I see them in ports seem huge.

Me too. ;)

The Sun is an older smaller ship, by their standards; actually, I have sailed on her before and really love the classic design.

Edited by computerworks

we'll have to wait and see!

This is the mystery for me, single staterooms on the Explorer or not. When the press release of the deal to build was announced in July of 2013, it said 738 passengers, 369 suites, so no single staterooms?

The Press release (beginning of the steel cutting) in July of 2014 states both that it is 750, and 738.

http://www.rssc.com/news/details.aspx?newsid=e59fe006-f565-4c5e-8cfa-104e2fce259d

A misprint in one or the other of the numbers, obviously. At any rate, I look forward to this new ship!

Edited by jhp

I'm not saying that the value isn't there on Regent. All I'm saying is that you can sail on NCL for a lot less if you choose not to purchase all those options. On Regent you have no choice.

Thanks to the good folks who responded to my Alaska Regent/Silversea query. I'm a little embarrassed because I usually try to do my own homework before I post a question. I've gotten a bit lazy it seems.

In fact, the only reason that I even considered Silversea is that I'd remembered reading somewhere that it had become all-inclusive and that the smoking rules had gotten more stringent. At this point in our lives we very much do want included excursions , though I can readily see how they'd be not favored by many. Actually it's not only that we now "need" the convenience of included excursions. Because we're not real social, and because we'd never be able to afford excursions a deux, and because we've always been pleased with the majority of Regent's offerings, we've been happy to have the all-inclusive right from the start of our cruising. Btw, when I did more research on these itineraries, I noticed that a number of tours that were included on our past trip are now extra charges. So it goes.

I realize now that if we ever manage to do another Alaska cruise (which I would dearly love), it will surely be on Regent (unless the product goes down-hill in ways unacceptable to us, which please may it not). The first time we did Alaska, it was mid-summer, and indeed many young people (kids) were on board. They were wonderfully well behaved, but I guess I'd still rather be on a cruise less weighted in the kid direction. Problem for us is that we'd also prefer to cruise those waters in warmest weather possible. That dandy Mariner cruise that looks so wonderful for 2016 goes fairly early in the season. In younger, heartier days I think I'd be less concerned about such things.

Speaking of Mariner, it was a real blessing to have the wonderful observation deck on that cruise. Our weather was far from ideal (sort of like your Alaska cruise, Wendy), so having that fine indoor space for viewing made a significant difference.

Thanks again-- and safe, happy sails to all.

I have some concerns about NCL passengers trying Regent for the first time. computerworks has sailed on Oceania so he has a better understanding of the differences. However, people that book large suites on NCL may have difficulty with being on a ship as small as Regent. Compared to NCL, there is nothing to do, few restaurants, only one or two places to shop, etc. The Mariner was docked next to one of the huge ships on our last cruise. People commented that Regent looked like a tender for the larger ship.

Our friends that have sailed in the largest suites possible on NCL, RCCL, etc. are used to receiving very "special" treatment. They get priority boarding, tender service and, at least on one cruise line, can sit in the front of the bus on excursions. There are areas where only the "upper levels" can visit. Not certain what these passengers would feel on Regent where everyone is treated the same (outside of their suite).

Just wanted to make this observation.