Liberty of the Seas coffee question

Anubi

Can anyone tell me the cost of a cup of coffee from the Cafe Promenade? We were on the Celebrity Eclipse in April, I had the package but DH didn't and the coffee at Bacio was $5.00 without the package. :eek: It was good, but not that good! I am assuming that Cafe Promenade is where to get the good stuff, please correct me and steer me in the right direction if I have it wrong. :o Thanks.

Thanks Tim. SIL just pointed out that there is a Starbucks on Liberty so that renders the previous question moot. :rolleyes: And I'll just bet that Starbucks is NOT included on any package. ;)

There is no Starbucks on Liberty, unless they built it in the last couple months. I don't remember if the sign at Cafe Promenade said "serving Starbucks coffee". The free coffee isn't all the great and I don't remember if you could buy a "premium" normal coffee.

Thanks Tim. SIL just pointed out that there is a Starbucks on Liberty so that renders the previous question moot. :rolleyes: And I'll just bet that Starbucks is NOT included on any package. ;)

I was told Starbucks was on there too lol, but I can tell you this.. after being on there for 2 weeks up until Saturday, unless I totally was lost on another ship, there is no Starbucks. No Starbucks cups, no logos, no coffee smuggled in from Starbucks, flat out saw no Starbucks :mad:. The Cafe Promenade will make your espressos, machiattos, etc. and I can recommend espresso with milk. The regular coffee seems a lot more weak to me on this cruise than past cruises (Although mixing a small amount of the nestle hot chocolate mix into the coffee works wonders!)

Hi Wanda,

Café Promenade will make you 'fancy' coffees, but they will put them in paper cups!!! We went to get a Baileys Latte one day, and wanted to sit at the tables within the Café to drink it, and when I asked them to make it in a proper cup/mug, they said they didn't do it. I could get free regular coffee in mugs from the machine (self service), but not our Baileys Latte..:(

BTW We were on the same sailing as Twibes and just off the ship on Saturday.

Margaret

Darn, the quote feature isn't working!! Thanks Margaret, I appreciate the info. Twibes, thanks for checking back in; I was thrilled at the thought of Starbucks on board, that would have solved everything. You gotta know where the good coffee is, DH is on a quest to map the most direct way from the cabin. ROFL :D;)

If you're a coffee aficionado (like me and my wife) you will NOT like the Seattles Best that's served onboard.

Bring some of your favorite grinds and a french press (or a pour over and some filters) and enjoy your favorite brew. It's what we do.

• 2 months later...

Really sad to see people who have to have Starbucks coffees. Bring your own mug, that's what I do. I get perfectly good coffee by hunting around and asking. Soneone always has excellent coffee made in some area of a 1200 ft ship. I could drink from an oilwell anyway as I've had Navy coffee and lots of truckstop coffee.

Really sad to see people who have to have Starbucks coffees. Bring your own mug, that's what I do. I get perfectly good coffee by hunting around and asking. Soneone always has excellent coffee made in some area of a 1200 ft ship. I could drink from an oilwell anyway as I've had Navy coffee and lots of truckstop coffee.

No, you often can *not* always get good coffee. If you find truck stop or whatnot acceptable then perhaps that explains your satisfaction with what they serve, but sorry, lots of coffee aficionados (for fear of sounding snobby, but it is what it is) don't share that opinion as they frequently serve swill.

For what it's worth on our December sailing aboard Grandeur we noted a significant improvement in the coffee. And an absence of "Seattles Finest" signage anymore. Perhaps the changed grounds, or perhaps they retrained staff on proper brewing techniques, but whatever changed was appreciated. We didn't need to hit Starbucks (or bring our own pour-over) to get a reasonably decent cup every morning and at dinner.

• 1 month later...

Starbucks Via instant coffee is amazing if you're a Starbucks fan. Just need 8-10 oz of hot water, depending on the strength you like, and there you go. Instant delicious coffee. It's my favorite thing to take camping or any other place where a Starbucks or my Keurig is not readily available! My favorite choice of roast is the Italian or Colombian. I will be taking them in case I don't like the choice of coffee on the ship.

They have Illy in the Promenade. It's better than Starbucks anything IMHO but I am married to an Italian so drink it in Italy where its reasonably priced, not this$5/cup. They also have their own brand, Carribean I believe. It's to the back of the Promenade cafe and is free.

Edited by WupperAV

I could have sworn the coffee was all branded Caribbean something in January. Definitely no indication of Starbucks anything on Liberty. We drink Folgers type coffee at home, so definitely no coffee snobs, but the free stuff was pretty bad. I got cappuccino from CP and they were $5.75.

They have Illy in the Promenade. It's better than Starbucks anything IMHO but I am married to an Italian so drink it in Italy where its reasonably priced, not this$5/cup. They also have their own brand, Carribean I believe. It's to the back of the Promenade cafe and is free.

Illy is very good coffee. For me what spoils the flavour of the coffee on board is the UHT milk that they use - I much prefer fresh milk.

As there seems to be several folks here who have recently cruised on the Liberty, hope you can answer a question that has come up on our Sept 29th Roll Call....do you now pre book shows on the Liberty like they have been doing on the Allure and Oasis since they launched?

Thanks for your answers....

As there seems to be several folks here who have recently cruised on the Liberty, hope you can answer a question that has come up on our Sept 29th Roll Call....do you now pre book shows on the Liberty like they have been doing on the Allure and Oasis since they launched?

Thanks for your answers....

The only show you pre-book on Liberty is the ice show.

We were on a Music Cruise so it was all pre-booked. We did go to the other shows when we had time. Not crowded. Very few people in the upper level. Shows are fun because any mistake is in font of you and can't be corrected easily. The rising stage froze on one and it was quite funny but everyone just waited a few minutes while the engineers fixed it. AS for markups on Coffee etc, I for one am quite sick of them. They are like the airlines and not ashamed to over charge you for everything. $35 extra for a meal in dining that was only worth $30. $5.00 coffee. Now they clain you get $300 off a cruise but add $300 on with no explanation as to what it's for. They are getting lazy.

There is no branded "Starbucks" place on Liberty. (only on Oasis and Allure*)

But there are espresso stands, and I know on Freedom they used Starbucks beans and cups and even down to straws. The Replenish and Ultimate packages include espresso drinks from those places.

The FREE coffee is drip coffee. Even on Freedom when the espresso place was so obviously using Starbucks stuff, the drip was labeled as Seattle's Best (which is, of course, owned by sbux).

If you just want drip coffee, there's no need for a package. "Specialty coffee" means ESPRESSO. If you want espresso-based drinks and the packages including it will make sense financially, get the package. If it doesn't, buy a la carte.

*and even Oasis and Allure have the unbranded espresso stands *as well as* the named, branded, mermaid-logo Starbucks.

Specialty just means espresso-based. If it's just something like an Irish Whiskey, that's brewed coffee plus booze; no espresso drink package needed. Just pay for the drink (out of pocket or with Premium or Ultimate).

When I wanted a shot of Bailey's in my iced latte, I got the latte with my Replenish package then got a shot of Bailey's (paid OOP) and poured them together. :)