Gem Renovations

pixiedustdawn

Thanks for posting the pictures. How did you get so up close and personal? I'm guessing you work for NCL? We sail on her on December 3rd. Really looking forward to it! Where on social media can we see these. Going cray cray over here trying to find more pics!

Thanks again!!

Pixiedustdawn does not work for NCL, but has many friends on the ship. - Connie

Not at all impressed with the new waterslide. Doesn't look steep enough. [/color]

Were you ever on the old slide? A favorite past time for everyone on this ship is to watch person after person get stuck on the slide. No one could make it down the original unless you knew to lift yourself up and lean on your shoulders. Every day on every cruise people would get about 5 feet and then have to use their hands to push the rest of the way down.

I dont see how this could be any worse than than. The old one could be very fast if you did it right, but for the majority of people giving it a shot they didn't budge.

Were you ever on the old slide? A favorite past time for everyone on this ship is to watch person after person get stuck on the slide. No one could make it down the original unless you knew to lift yourself up and lean on your shoulders. Every day on every cruise people would get about 5 feet and then have to use their hands to push the rest of the way down.

I dont see how this could be any worse than than. The old one could be very fast if you did it right, but for the majority of people giving it a shot they didn't budge.

This made me laugh. Nearly six years ago, on a winter Med cruise aboard the Jade (same as the Gem), I tried the slide one day. Almost immediately, I was stuck. I definitely had to use the hand method to push myself down. Thankfully, it was winter and NO ONE was out on the pool deck (the only reason I'd even tried it), so I wasn't utterly embarrassed. :o

I've sailed on the Gem twice since then, and haven't gone near the slide. :)

As I said in an earlier post, I think the slides on the Jewel class ships are really meant for little kids. They were built well before the new mega ships and the advent of water slides being attractions for adults.

This made me laugh. Nearly six years ago, on a winter Med cruise aboard the Jade (same as the Gem), I tried the slide one day. Almost immediately, I was stuck. I definitely had to use the hand method to push myself down. Thankfully, it was winter and NO ONE was out on the pool deck (the only reason I'd even tried it), so I wasn't utterly embarrassed. :o

I've sailed on the Gem twice since then, and haven't gone near the slide. :)

As I said in an earlier post, I think the slides on the Jewel class ships are really meant for little kids. They were built well before the new mega ships and the advent of water slides being attractions for adults.

The trick is to get a good start and get your butt off the slide. For guys anyway that caused all the drag. Ride on your heels, push your butt off and get your upper back / shoulders on there and you would rocket down that thing. By the end we were going so fast on the slide we werent sure if we'd be able to stop.

Can't tell you how the water slide is because it hasn't actually been open yet lol

Always closed. Not sure why.

There have been some glitches coming out in front dry dock that the crew is working it's hardest to correct.

Not all suites have the portable phones that should have them.

Minor issues like out faucet in the bathroom sink not secured.

Our door to the bathroom doesn't stay closed unless it's locked which means it swing open and shut pretty much all the time...we've gotten used to it lol

Honestly, Carlos is great but he needs help. Twice he's called our room with answers to questions we never asked because whoever is giving him messages is getting the room numbers wrong. The only thing we've asked for so far is to change a dinner reservation but I know there's people requiring much more effort then we have. I feel like there should be more then one concierge. Just my opinion though.

We sailed last on the Breakaway and are definitely enjoying the Gem more. The food in the specialty restaurants has been excellent. We're not food snobs but I have an Italian who has two restaurants and takes food very seriously.. No complaints at all.

Hey Mimmo, Considering your boyfriend is Italian and owns restaurant's I wonder what he thought about La Cucina? I always thought Cagney's and Le Bistro were much higher quality than La Cucina and Italian food is my favorite. Hopefully they have upped the quality in La Cucina.

Enjoy the cruise.

All the Best

Rob

Can't tell you how the water slide is because it hasn't actually been open yet lol

Always closed. Not sure why.

There have been some glitches coming out in front dry dock that the crew is working it's hardest to correct.

Not all suites have the portable phones that should have them.

Minor issues like out faucet in the bathroom sink not secured.

Our door to the bathroom doesn't stay closed unless it's locked which means it swing open and shut pretty much all the time...we've gotten used to it lol

Honestly, Carlos is great but he needs help. Twice he's called our room with answers to questions we never asked because whoever is giving him messages is getting the room numbers wrong. The only thing we've asked for so far is to change a dinner reservation but I know there's people requiring much more effort then we have. I feel like there should be more then one concierge. Just my opinion though.

We sailed last on the Breakaway and are definitely enjoying the Gem more. The food in the specialty restaurants has been excellent. We're not food snobs but I have an Italian who has two restaurants and takes food very seriously.. No complaints at all.

Have a great day in Puerto Rico!!

Glad to hear you are enjoying and realizing out of dry dock there will be some small glitches. Gem crew is fantastic and I am sure they are exhausted and doing the all that they can for you to enjoy your sailing!

Thanks for coming in for an update!

Hey Mimmo, Considering your boyfriend is Italian and owns restaurant's I wonder what he thought about La Cucina? I always thought Cagney's and Le Bistro were much higher quality than La Cucina and Italian food is my favorite. Hopefully they have upped the quality in La Cucina.

Enjoy the cruise.

All the Best

Rob

Welllllll he doesn't love it. We tried it on the Breakaway and while he didn't complain I won't make reservations to go back. To be fair we typically avoid Italian restaurants when we eat out. Especially if I am taking charge of where we eat I stay away from Italian food. Then I get a lecture about Napoli and how he makes it blah blah blah. Lol

Cagneys has been exceptional this trip to be honest. The rib eye I had the other night is one of the best steaks I've had. Anywhere.

Welllllll he doesn't love it. We tried it on the Breakaway and while he didn't complain I won't make reservations to go back. To be fair we typically avoid Italian restaurants when we eat out. Especially if I am taking charge of where we eat I stay away from Italian food. Then I get a lecture about Napoli and how he makes it blah blah blah. Lol

Cagneys has been exceptional this trip to be honest. The rib eye I had the other night is one of the best steaks I've had. Anywhere.

I am Italian and hate to go to Italian restaurants-I am always disappointed! My husband loves anything with sauce and cheese though so we have been going at least once to Cucina-I have to say their osso bucco is delish!

I am a chef and have been to La Cucina about 8 times now on different ships and can honestly say that the only thing that has been good is the osso bucco, most times. But to be honest all you need is time(6-8 hours) to make it good. My wife likes chicken parm, but the sauce they make or open from a can is bad. Cagneys and teppenyaki and sushi are our favorites.

Honestly coming from the NY/ NJ area where Italian restaraunts rock La Cucina is a huge disappointment. As others have said it is a Chicken Parm factory with sauce that is really awful. Ate there a couple of times and have never been back.

Really curious to hear of the cabanas on the Haven sun deck have to be reserved and if there is an additional charge. Do not see how there could be given what you are paying already for this area.

I think in post 431 pixdiedustdawn said she hopes to find out by next week. I am curious about that as well.

Honestly coming from the NY/ NJ area where Italian restaraunts rock La Cucina is a huge disappointment. As others have said it is a Chicken Parm factory with sauce that is really awful. Ate there a couple of times and have never been back.

The rest of the country things Olive Garden is a really good Italian joint.

We are a special class of protected people who know good food, we just need to smile and let the rest of them enjoy their microwaved meals.

The rest of the country things Olive Garden is a really good Italian joint.

We are a special class of protected people who know good food, we just need to smile and let the rest of them enjoy their microwaved meals.

Olive Garden offends me! (but I respect people's right to eat there)

Anyway, back to the thread..Can't wait to see the new and improved Gem! ;)

Has the climbing wall been reopened?

if so, how much does it cost and is it better to bring your own climbing shoes?

Great question! I was wondering the same thing. Also, has the bowling alley definitely been removed? I heard that it was going but haven't gotten confirmation.