Crown Grill Steaks

MsSoCalCruiser

The Crown Grill is always a highlight of our cruise! I love the ribeye. They call the bone-in ribeye a 'beef chop'. :-)

We always order some lobster tails as an appetizer. The ones we got were about the same size as they serve in the MDR. Ours were tender and sweet, and there was no way I could have eaten 4 of them and had room for anything else! I am pretty sure they were cold water.

I'm going again in 2 weeks, I'll have to check them out again and let you know. ;-)

The Crown Grill is always a highlight of our cruise! I love the ribeye. They call the bone-in ribeye a 'beef chop'. :-)

We always order some lobster tails as an appetizer. The ones we got were about the same size as they serve in the MDR. Ours were tender and sweet, and there was no way I could have eaten 4 of them and had room for anything else! I am pretty sure they were cold water.

I'm going again in 2 weeks, I'll have to check them out again and let you know. ;-)

James in SA,

Ok. Great. Looking forward to your review of Crown Grill, steak and lobster :)

Enjoy, and safe travels,

King

Like Michelle, I prefer filet and have had good experiences in the Crown Grill. I've never ordered the lobster as I don't order lobster on cruise ships as it's frozen. I'm spoiled by lots of fresh steamed lobster in New England so I avoid it on the ship.

Like Michelle, I prefer filet and have had good experiences in the Crown Grill. I've never ordered the lobster as I don't order lobster on cruise ships as it's frozen. I'm spoiled by lots of fresh steamed lobster in New England so I avoid it on the ship.

While the filet is the most tender it is almost flavorless. The flavors of the rib eye definitely make it my favorite cut.

I have not been impressed with the filet on Princess.

Edited by Coral

Here is what I ordered on November 2014 cruise in Crown Grill.

Mediterranean-Style Spiny Lobster Cake, Tarragon Foam.... Just Ok

Pan-Seared Pacific Scallops .... Very good

Black and Blue Onion Soup... Good

(2) 4 oz. Maine Lobster Tails... POOR tough.:( Main dining room was very good this time. Tender

Madeira-Glazed Wisconsin Veal Chop ... Very good:)

Grilled Asparagus... Very good

No desserts or bread like on most cruises.:D

From the Sterling Silver Meats website:

We accept only beef from the very top tier of Choice and Prime grades. Our standards are based on quality, not breed, so all Sterling Silver Premium Beef is highly marbled for rich flavor and aged to perfection.

Having eaten at the Crown Grill many times (and enjoyed it), I would be surprised if the meat Princess uses is Prime grade. Regardless, with only one exception, it has always been quite good and worth the upcharge.

We were on the Sapphire last month and there was an extra charge of $10 to add the lobster tails. Going on the Regal in a few weeks and would like to know if this is being done fleet wide.

We were on the Royal 2 weeks ago and there was no extra charge for the lobster in the Crown Grill.

Thank you MichelleinOC.

I eat my steaks rare to medium rare . Bone-in Ribeye my preference. Keeping fingers crossed for a tender

steak.

Is the lobster tail cold water or warm water lobster? One poster said he/she along with steak, orders four lobster tails. So they must be really small (3 oz.) tails? What did you think of their quality? Sweet and tender or tough and chewey? Worth the extra surcharge?

Regards, and safe travels.

King

I'm sorry. I don't know if they are warm or cold water. Yes, they are small. We each got 4 tails. In the Crown Grill, we both thought the lobster was really good. Not tough at all and nice and sweet. Very yummy. The next night we had lobster in Sabatini's. It was good but not as sweet and tasty as in the Crown Grill. I think with a large ship that makes dinners for over 3000 people, it just might be the luck of the draw. Fortunately, our Crown Grill food was great. I hope the same for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While the filet is the most tender it is almost flavorless. The flavors of the rib eye definitely make it my favorite cut.

I have not been impressed with the filet on Princess.

I have not found the filet to be flavorless. I guess I have been lucky the many times I have ordered it. We all have our favorites. It is what makes the world go round.

• 1 month later...
This time, we are thinking about trying the pork chop. Have you tried it?

I tried it once and it was pretty dry and tough. Though, quite large. We got it to share in addition to our steak as I wanted to try it. We ended up not eating much of it.

It is possible the next night, it was fine.

Edited by Coral

I tried it once and it was pretty dry and tough. Though, quite large. We got it to share in addition to our steak as I wanted to try it. We ended up not eating much of it.

It is possible the next night, it was fine.

I was afraid of that. Hopefully it won't be that way when we order it. Luckily though, if it is, we can order something else.

I had a wonderful ribeye on the Ruby TA in September. It is my favorite steak cut, and it was cooked perfectly. Once on the Emerald my steak was terrible and full of gristle, and they promptly replaced it. I would never accept a bad steak in a specialty steak restaurant. I wouldn't make a fuss, but I would let the server know that it is not acceptable.

Also, don't miss the specialty salts. I use very little salt on my food, but dh and I both loved the smoked salt. It was perfect with our steaks.

I have not found the filet to be flavorless. I guess I have been lucky the many times I have ordered it. We all have our favorites. It is what makes the world go round.

Filets have less flavor compared to other cuts. This is why they are often served with sauces. People order them for their texture and tenderness.

I was afraid of that. Hopefully it won't be that way when we order it. Luckily though, if it is, we can order something else.

I might try the sea bass or maybe veal chop. Or who knows, maybe a New York strip. Oh, so many choices. [emoji4][emoji4]

I might try the sea bass or maybe veal chop. Or who knows, maybe a New York strip. Oh, so many choices. [emoji4][emoji4]

I've never tried sea bass. Speaking of fish maybe we will have room in our tummies for the Pub Lunch :D. I like the mushy peas.

Is the beef well marbled and of Prime USDA beef, or does it come from Australia/New Zealand?

Would you say the beef is equal to a restaurant like Morton's, Palm, Peter Lugar's, or more like Outback Steakhouse, Black Angus/your local chain Steakhouse quality?

I enjoy my steak prepared rare or medium rare. IMHO there's nothing worse than eating a nice cut of beef served well done. Shoe leather or tasting like liver.

What is the dress code in the Crown Grill?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Is the beef well marbled and of Prime USDA beef, or does it come from Australia/New Zealand?

Would you say the beef is equal to a restaurant like Morton's, Palm, Peter Lugar's, or more like Outback Steakhouse, Black Angus/your local chain Steakhouse quality?

I enjoy my steak prepared rare or medium rare. IMHO there's nothing worse than eating a nice cut of beef served well done. Shoe leather or tasting like liver.

What is the dress code in the Crown Grill?

I would classify it as higher quality choice grade. If it was prime, they would advertise it that way. Here is the website of the meat brand they claim to go with: http://www.sterlingsilvermeats.com/Premium-Beef/

It is not of the same quality (or price) of Morton's. It is higher than Outback IMO.

I like my steak rare or medium rare and they did cook it properly. If it is overcooked, send it back. I order ribeye and it was well marbeled.

Edited by Coral