Whales! When and where?

pathi

Last February we were on the Big Island counting whales for a conservation project.. They told us the whales start leaving and heading back across the Pacific to Alaska in March. We are hoping our early March Hawaii cruise will give us the opportunity to see them in the Islands and well as possibly on the way back.. :D

Last February we were on the Big Island counting whales for a conservation project.. They told us the whales start leaving and heading back across the Pacific to Alaska in March. We are hoping our early March Hawaii cruise will give us the opportunity to see them in the Islands and well as possibly on the way back.. :D

Definitely off Lahaina, Maui, in early March.

Aloha :). :). :)

I vote for Alaska!

I also went on an excursion with Harv and Marv and it was fabulous. At one point, we were surrounded by a pod of resident orcas. Amazing.

14428461174_6fc87b0a8f_z.jpgStar Princess - Alaska - June 2014 173 by RickEk, on Flickr

We also saw some humpbacks...

14406568056_aa8cd7d12e_z.jpgStar Princess - Alaska - June 2014

211 by RickEk, on Flickr

Great pictures! Love the Orcas!

Starting to plan our next cruse, and my wife would really like to see some whales.

What is the best time of year, and Cruise itinerary to see whales?

It would be cool to see them from the ship and excursions.

Thanks

Jan-March Maui Channel......best

Jan-March Off Kona , Hilo and Off Kawaiihai on Hawaii # 2

used to see then every morning along the beach in Keauhou Hawaii...

This is a link to a short video that a friend of mine shot while whale watching off Moorea in French Polynesia during a recent cruise on the Pacific Princess

Now this is up close and personal. Baby and mother taken while snorkeling.

Edited by RDC1

Moorea in late summer. 10 day Tahiti cruise. Under the right conditions you can get into the water with snorkel gear and see them under the water.

Humpback whales are indeed near Moorea in the northern hemisphere summer, but at that time it is actually winter near Moorea. I expect that is the season when RDC1 encountered them. Humpbacks that migrate north to Moorea for the austral (southern-hemisphere) winter are believed to feed at more southerly locations during the austral summer. Generalizing, most baleen whales migrate toward lower latitudes (like Moorea in the southern hemisphere or Hawaii in the north) for the winter in that hemisphere, and to higher latitude feeding grounds for the summer.

John

Humpback whales are indeed near Moorea in the northern hemisphere summer, but at that time it is actually winter near Moorea. I expect that is the season when RDC1 encountered them. Humpbacks that migrate north to Moorea for the austral (southern-hemisphere) winter are believed to feed at more southerly locations during the austral summer. Generalizing, most baleen whales migrate toward lower latitudes (like Moorea in the southern hemisphere or Hawaii in the north) for the winter in that hemisphere, and to higher latitude feeding grounds for the summer.

John

The video I linked to earlier was shot on October 27th.

The video I linked to earlier was shot on October 27th.

Late October is still fairly early in the (austral) spring in Mo`orea, so it is not surprising for some humpbacks to be lingering on their wintering grounds there.

John

Thanks folks. :) The Ruby is our favorite ship, so it looks like Alaska next year.

Good choice. We like the Ruby too.

As for whales, many, if not all, tour operators in Juneau guarantee whale sightings (summertime) or your money back. Ours claimed they had never had to refund any $$.

While seeing whales from the ship is very likely in Alaska, taking an excursion (Juneau) is ,IMO, far more rewarding. Great photo ops and a better chance to see bubble feeding up close.

I've seen the following via cruising:

Kaikoura (east coast, southern island, NZ) -- year-round, Sperm Whales.

Sri Lanka (south-east) -- December, Blue Whales (utterly awesome!). Captain helped us spot them!

Cape Horn - February, Humpback Whales

Alaska (near Kodiak) - September, 3 Humpbacks circled Princess Diamond

Haven't seen, but heard easy viewing:

Southern California (off Dana Point) - Blue Whales

Cape of Good Hope -- Oct to Dec, Right Whales

South Australia - Southern Right Whales

Cape Canaveral/Port Canaveral (to South Carolina) - Oct to Mar, Northern Right Whales