Leaving excursions early

gnomie1

Excuse me, but I am about to get on my soapbox.

Why do people feel that it is acceptable behavior to leave an excursion early and not have the courtesy to either notify the tour guide or other passengers on the tour?

Twice on this cruise this has happened and it is so inconsiderate. On one excursion we missed one of the scheduled stops because so much time was spent looking for the missing people. On our excursion today, five different couples left without telling anyone, causing the tour guide a great amount of concern and grief.

Later on I approached one of these couples and asked them why they left - they responded that they didn't like it and wanted to go back to the ship and did not feel they had any obligation to notify anyone - REALLY??

And people complain about the the behavior of children - as far as I am concerned, this is so much worse.

I'm off my soapbox now.

gnomie :)

Exactly - the Tour Guide is responsible for getting all the passengers back to the ship on time. It is part of a guide's job. Which is why they always count heads. For people to leave without telling he guide is more than inconsiderate. It is stupid!

We have also left quite a few tours before they were over. But always got hold of the guide directly and told him or her that we were going and would find our own way back to the ship. OR in one case in St Paul de Vence we told the guide that walking around the town didn't interest us but the Fondation Maecht did. And that we would be sure to be at the bus at any time she specified so we could go back to the Voyager with the group. That worked out very well for all concerned.

Agree completely. It is so easy to just inform the guide you are leaving the tour but causes so much trouble when he/she does not know and has to spend time looking for and worrying about the missing persons. (then there are those who are always late returning to the designated spot after free time.....another subject for another day)

Or the guide on each bus could say that if someone decides to leave the tour, please be sure to let the guide know. For the consideration of others.

That's what I was thinking. I can't recall if I have ever heard a guide address this issue at the beginning of a tour. In the future (if I can remember to do so;)), I think I will ask the guide to mention this if he/she doesn't do it on their own. Of course, it's no guarantee that people will follow through--Sad that we need to be reminded of what should be common courtesy.

Or the guide on each bus could say that if someone decides to leave the tour, please be sure to let the guide know. For the consideration of others.

Great idea, and I have heard guides (probably the smarter ones) make this announcement a couple of times.

Some people have suggested that maybe the tour guide should have announced this.

The problem is - THEY DID!!!!

Not once, not twice, but at least three times on the excursion yesterday the tour guide mentioned that if you will be leaving early, to please tell someone. It didn't help.

In order to be able to cruise on Regent, somewhere along the line there was success, hard work, etc. However, it appears to me that some people must have missed out on the lessons on manners and civil behavior.

Some people have suggested that maybe the tour guide should have announced this.

The problem is - THEY DID!!!!

Not once, not twice, but at least three times on the excursion yesterday the tour guide mentioned that if you will be leaving early, to please tell someone. It didn't help.

In order to be able to cruise on Regent, somewhere along the line there was success, hard work, etc. However, it appears to me that some people must have missed out on the lessons on manners and civil behavior.

Yup. Hope the rest of your cruise is relaxing and frustration-free. :)

I agree with all said above! While I NEVER would suggest it on the bus, I sometimes wish people who even hold the rest of up from getting back to the shipped should be hissed!

Times that has happened to me with latecomers, many seem to just think it is funny, (they were only shopping) while everyone else is steaming. However, other times they get on frazzled and stressed because they have gotten lost in some of those towns with winding streets.

I often wonder how many times Regent has left an excursion passenger "at the dock" so to speak.

Although I am reminded of a SS tour, after a lovely excursion that ended with a couple of hours at a beautiful beach, the same thing happened. There was a foursome that we passed who were making no moves to get themselves in gear for the tour bus back to the ship. The guide was informed of their whereabouts and ran down the beach to find that they were just packing up and would be along "any minute". We waited, they arrived, we left, and they clearly thought it was funny also. The following day, different island but similar excursion with many of the same passengers along.... a take charge type of woman informed the guide of the problem from the day before and mentioned that he should be aware that our "thank you" gratuities might be reflected in keeping to a schedule that we all knew about. I do believe he was actually relieved. Within 5 minutes of stated time, we were on our way.....with a few missing people but a pleasant ending to a wonderful excursion.

A long time ago we were on the Mariner in Alaska. In Juneau we were at the Mendenhall Glacier and one couple kept us all waiting for at least 20 minutes. The guide counted and re-counted and then walked around looking for them. She came back without them and I suggested that we move on... She said we couldn't. They then showed up without any apology and got on the bus. The entire bus booed. I wonder if they have ever done that again!!

Greetings,

I don't often post, but felt the need to share this time.

Having been an official guide on more excursions than I care to count, I agree it is rude and inconsiderate to A- leave without notifying the person in charge and B- ignore the oft stated time to be "back on the bus" NOT near the bus, or outside of the bus chatting, or having a smoke, but ON the bus.

That being said, my DH and I have been subjected to many a rude stare, scowl, and the occasional over-the-top "watch glancing" as we re-boarded our Regent tour bus. This would be appropriate behaviour IMHO, if we were ever late.

We in fact (because of my past as a guide) always board 5-10 minutes PRIOR to assigned departure time, yet are often the last couple on the bus. Without fail, we get seated, the guide boards at the appointed time, does a head count, and we're off. During the departures, loud "whispers" are directed towards us, chastising us for being late and delaying the departure. Ridiculous! Why should I (or anyone else) be made to feel responsible when the majority of the disgruntled people on the bus have been sitting there, by their own choice, for 15 min, half an hour, longer ... ??

This happens repeatedly. They didn't enjoy the excursion and we did. No one was made to be late. No one left without telling. It is unfair to blame someone because they (we) had a wonderful excursion and "you" (general term, no one specific) did not. Blame age, blame weather, blame location, but don't blame me because you've been bored sitting on a bus WELL before you were asked to be there.

I have been on dud excursions, but attempt to make the best of it because all locations have something of interest, some alternative potential, if given open eyes instead of blind expectation. (That is unless the excursion was inexplicably shortened or absolutely not as described when one signed up for it.)

Whoa! Sorry about jumping on my own soapbox!! This has apparently been building inside for a while.

Safe journeys and cheers!

AshD

AshD - of course in your case no one had any right to be nasty to you...you were back at the announced time.

We quite often skip the obligatory (or at least it seems that way) visit to a souvenir or other shop suggested by the guide. And then sit happily on the bus waiting for the others. And would not dream of frowning in the direction of someone who returned on time but after we did. That is also not acceptable IMO.

One of the things I ask the guide when they give a time to be back on the bus is "what time is it now" unless they have already mentioned it. That way everyone is hopefully on the same page, or at least has the opportunity to be.

The more I read here, the less attractive appear the excursions (first-time cruiser). I understand it's possible to work on board with concierges to make arrangements for private and perhaps different excursions. Is that correct? How knowledgeable are the concierges regarding the various ports?

Don't get too worried. Most ship excursions are fine, and some are excellent. Sometimes we just use the ship's transportation to get us there and back. Then we do our own thing.

But the excursions desk onboard, which is what I am thinking you are referring to when you say concierge, is hopeless as far as planning independent activities. Don't even consider that. They are there to hand out tickets for the ship excursion and often know little about the port.

If you want to do your own thing, which we often do, you have to do your own research and planning. At most ports, there is a representative from the local tourism office who comes onboard. Some are very helpful, and they have maps to give out. I usually talk to them a little to get ideas if I don't already ave a firm plan.

Heh, I'm delighted to have found CC several months ahead of my first cruise so I can be alternately worried, then reassured. I love this!

My all time best cruise ship tour out of all my cruises and tours including many private tours is still a tour offered by Regent in Florence Italy.....an included tour! Some tours are great, others good and some are ok....sadly once in a while a tour can be bad. This can happen on Regent or on Princess, but I think this is the exception.

Have a great time planning and safe journey!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app