Quantum's North Star banned?

JBlock54

Northstar use has been banned in Port of NY & NJ as per Captain of the Port and VHF Marine radio. This is from the PTZ Twitter. Doesn't sound like a good start for Quantum and NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is probably due to the fact if the northstar got stuck in the up position. The ship could not leave the harbor.

All ships must be capable of going to sea on short notice. In case of an emergency such as a hurricane (ships can not remain in port in a hurricane).

Very few ports allow gambling in port. I only know of 2 and that is only at night.

Do you think it could be only while moving, or even when she is just sitting at the dock? That's a real shame, was looking forward to running strait to North Star once onboard for a view of lady liberty. What others have said is probably right though, it's likely related to ensuring she can get back out. Hope she still goes up in other ports where there are no obstructions.

Edited by DEIx15x8

I would agree that the reasoning is twofold. One due to flight restrictions and two due to the fact that if it got stuck and the ship had to leave port in an emergency, it could not due to the bridge clearance. While I would have liked to go up in port to see the skyline, etc, I also understand the reasoning and will just do it at another port.

It could also be that Northstar is considered to be an amusement ride.

NYC and most other big cities require permits and inspections to operate most amusement rides. I'm sure Jersey has similar regulations.

NYC Amusement license:

" LICENSE DESCRIPTION:

A business must have a Temporary Amusement Device license to manually, mechanically, or electrically operate a device/ride intended to carry and convey passengers along, around, or over a defined area for entertainment purposes during public events not to exceed 14 calendar days for each event."

OMO

bosco

" LICENSE DESCRIPTION:

A business must have a Temporary Amusement Device license to manually, mechanically, or electrically operate a device/ride intended to carry and convey passengers along, around, or over a defined area for entertainment purposes during public events not to exceed 14 calendar days for each event."

Sounds like a cruise can be considered amusement (Convey passengers along)

Shops don't open bc of the taxes. If docked in NJ then we would have to pay the 7% sales tax to shop on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was simply a statement of fact. I don't believe that it is for taxes otherwise spirits would not be available. IMHO, it has to do with competing with port(s) shops.

The NYC Harbor webcam shows the NorthStar is in action.....

bosco

Yep, I see that. The statement was made as Quantum of the Seas was leaving port. My guess is that the harbor master has a very tight schedule and can't be bothered with delays if North Star gets stuck on the way out. The policy is probably that the ship must be ready to sail at the designated time or a notice must be given ahead of time that they need to delay so they don't waste resources. Still having North Star up on the way out is likely considered to not be ready to sail since she can't actually leave the port at the time. They probably will require everything be lowered and North Star secured before any pilot steps onboard and Royal was likely pushing their limits by trying to operate until the last possible second.

BTW she probably wouldn't fit under the Verazanno bridge if it was up.

She can't. According to Richard Faine she even has retractable funnels like the Oasis that are required every time she sails under the bridge. I've examined my photos/videos though from her arrival and from the first clear photo that I can see her she has them up. So I'm not sure if she actually did lower them before passing under the bridge. You can look at some of my photos from this thread and see if you can spot it down at all: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2125887

We rode the NorthStar on November 18, while the ship was docked in Bayonne.

The port will allow the NorthStar to operate in port, only over the footprint of the ship.....it cannot swing out over the sides, due to the air traffic above the port, according to the operator of the NorthStar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We rode the NorthStar on November 18, while the ship was docked in Bayonne.

The port will allow the NorthStar to operate in port, only over the footprint of the ship.....it cannot swing out over the sides, due to the air traffic above the port, according to the operator of the NorthStar.

Definitely a great view

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app