What will Island Princess look like after May 2015?

m134

FYI the first post-refit review was just posted for Island and the new Lido Deck balcony room vibrated so badly the poor guest had to be relocated... Thought this might be why the Coral refit was changed.

:eek:

No surprise with decks and cabins added where to places where there was none, especially high decks.:(

However I would like to hear consistent complaints before I label the area a disaster. :cool:

The Norway added an entire deck. When we sailed I thought the newly added aft Junior Suites were going to fall off the back of the ship. :eek:

I'm still traveling in Europe post cruise so haven't had time to write a detailed review, but will say that we had a great cruise on the Island from Barcelona to Venice June3-15. I believe the ship was full,but never did we feel cramped or crowded . We could arrive at shows within 5 minute of the start and still get a seat. We had any time dining and only on one night were we given a pager and even then the wait was less than 10 minutes .

We weren't in one of the new cabins so can't comment on those but despite the fact we were right below the Explorers Lounge, we never heard a peep from it .

Frequently we were able to swim in the Lotus Pool alone -other times just one or two others . It was hard to believe there were over 2000 on the ship.

As for the Promenade deck ,it was easy to make a circuit by entering the doors by the aft stairway and exiting the other side.

Food was top notch in the main dining room. I never felt the need to eat at the specialty restaurants. The menus were very varied .

On the two sea days it sometimes was difficult to get a deckchair by the lido pool, bit there were always chairs on the promenade deck and plenty in other indoor locations.

This was our first cruise and based on what I read in this thread I was concerned, but we have only compliments for the crew and for the ship . it won't be our last cruise.

On our return home I'll post a detailed review

I'm still traveling in Europe post cruise so haven't had time to write a detailed review, but will say that we had a great cruise on the Island from Barcelona to Venice June3-15.

Thanks for the quick summary. Looking forward to the full review.

Hopefully you will have many more cruises in your future.

This was our first cruise and based on what I read in this thread I was concerned, but we have only compliments for the crew and for the ship . it won't be our last cruise.

Glad you enjoyed it, did you manage to take any interior shots, would love to see them?

Thanks for your summary regarding the Island Princess and looking forward to your review.

Thank you for taking the time to post during your vacation.

We will be boarding Island Princess in 10 days for the same itinerary, so it is especially nice to hear positive statements. We are excited about the cruise, especially since we received our gty assignment. We booked an OC gty and got an MX....what an upgrade!

Do any cruise critic members have any specific photo or information requests? If so, I'm willing to try to poke around and snap some pics during the cruise.

We will be boarding Island Princess in 10 days for the same itinerary, so it is especially nice to hear positive statements. We are excited about the cruise, especially since we received our gty assignment. We booked an OC gty and got an MX....what an upgrade!

Do any cruise critic members have any specific photo or information requests? If so, I'm willing to try to poke around and snap some pics during the cruise.

Thanks for asking :D Really only one request - to see if the Island is taking quarters for laundry or cruise card.

Have a great cruise - great upgrade btw!

I'm still traveling in Europe post cruise so haven't had time to write a detailed review, but will say that we had a great cruise on the Island from Barcelona to Venice June3-15. I believe the ship was full,but never did we feel cramped or crowded . We could arrive at shows within 5 minute of the start and still get a seat. We had any time dining and only on one night were we given a pager and even then the wait was less than 10 minutes .

We weren't in one of the new cabins so can't comment on those but despite the fact we were right below the Explorers Lounge, we never heard a peep from it .

Frequently we were able to swim in the Lotus Pool alone -other times just one or two others . It was hard to believe there were over 2000 on the ship.

As for the Promenade deck ,it was easy to make a circuit by entering the doors by the aft stairway and exiting the other side.

Food was top notch in the main dining room. I never felt the need to eat at the specialty restaurants. The menus were very varied .

On the two sea days it sometimes was difficult to get a deckchair by the lido pool, bit there were always chairs on the promenade deck and plenty in other indoor locations.

Thanks for posting Lauren................so hard to do while traveling, it's appreciated. :)

Thanks for asking :D Really only one request - to see if the Island is taking quarters for laundry or cruise card.

Have a great cruise - great upgrade btw!

That's an easy request, Tyskie, especially since we are apt to do laundry sometime during the 12 night cruise.

We are absolutely thrilled with the upgrade! Already excited for the cruise, we are even more excited now.

Anybody else have a Island post-dry dock photo or info request?

Edited by Starry Eyes

Would really appreciate any intelligence, Starryeyes, about the aft cabins. We have one of the fully stern new balconies and am starting to get worried about the vibration, etc. We usually sail in stern cabins, so used to the movement and slight vibrations. Hoping this will be fine! Also, if you observe where the smoking areas are, that would be appreciated for those who want to find or avoid area. THANK YOU!

I hope you have a really good cruise, we are going next month, any pics at all would be appreciated, especially forward mini suites on caribe it's our first cruise on island princess.

Sorry, I lied :eek: Another question: While I know it might change, could you find out who the Maitre d' will be in Sept? And, possibly how to contact him before our cruise?

Please, only if you think of it or have time - most important is that you enjoy your cruise. :D

Edited by Tyskie

Would really appreciate any intelligence, Starryeyes, about the aft cabins. We have one of the fully stern new balconies and am starting to get worried about the vibration, etc. We usually sail in stern cabins, so used to the movement and slight vibrations. Hoping this will be fine! Also, if you observe where the smoking areas are, that would be appreciated for those who want to find or avoid area. THANK YOU!

I'll make a note of smoking locations. Good idea.

If I meet anybody in the new stern cabins, I'll ask them about vibration. Not sure if there is any other way for me to assess the situation for you other than luck of meet somebody helpful. My own cabin is way forward.

I hope you have a really good cruise, we are going next month, any pics at all would be appreciated, especially forward mini suites on caribe it's our first cruise on island princess.

Our window mini is all the way forward on Caribe deck, so we will be daily walking past forward minis suites with balconies. If there are open doors on embarkation or disembarkation or if a kind neighbor gives permission during cruise, I'll snap a pic for you. I can certainly catch pics of hallway and of that forward secret door and public deck on caribe.

We disembark July 9, fly home on July 10, and hope to post info/pics soon after. Is that soon enough for you, or will you already be traveling?

Sorry, I lied :eek: Another question: While I know it might change, could you find out who the Maitre d' will be in Sept? And, possibly how to contact him before our cruise?

Please, only if you think of it or have time - most important is that you enjoy your cruise. :D

I'll see what I can learn about that.

Running list:

Laundry facilities (if changed from May)

Smoking areas

Aft cabin vibration

Caribe deck forward pics

Maitre d' In September

Any other requests?

Thanks for sharing your expertise about the Island & my aircraft carrier.

Would you know whether or not cutting holes in the solid aft end of the new section could create any sort of structural weakness?

Yes, cutting a hole in any panel will decrease the strength, but with the correct stiffening there is no reason it can't be done. I would imagine the blank face is there because they wanted to cram as many mini-suites in on Dolphin and Caribe decks as possible. Just a guess anyway.

Hi all,

I'm going to be in one of the new aft balcony cabins on Baja deck starting on July 9th. I'll see what I can do about posting about it while on board.

:)

Bonnie

Oh, great. I'll take that one off my list, as you'll be in a much better position to answer aft cabin questions. If I happen to meet somebody in a new cabin, I'll ask their opinion...can't have too many opinions on cruise critic.

A couple of other things that might be of interest. Princess @sea messenger was not available on the Island and the TV system had not been updated to the on demand system. I had thought this might have been done during the drydock but it hadnt.

There was no international cafe. None of these negatively impacted the cruise for me but if you were expecting them you might be disappointed.