What will Island Princess look like after May 2015?

m134

You spent a ton of time, but no cash! Princess, like every other line needs to make profit, so using up free space is not unreasonable. Still looking forward to our cruise next year.

In the unlikely situation that Princess was unaware that making so many negative changes to one of their best ships in the fleet wouldn't be well received they found out after touting the changes on their website. I don't think it's a coincidence that shortly thereafter it was removed and nothing has been promoted about the changes. Unlike other recent major drydocks there were no photos or videos of the changes...none. At least they were smart enough to stop touting all the negative changes to the Island.

To me that sounds like somebody wants to keep everyone in the dark and hopefully nobody will notice the changes. Hopefully for Princess none of the new passengers on the Island are aware of what it was like before & they'll have a great cruise.

Obviously cruise lines need to make a profit but it shouldn't be done at the expense of their passengers enjoyment of a cruise. I'm not in the boycotting camp however it would have to be a great deal to a highly desirable destination before I'd sail on the Island again.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Obviously cruise lines need to make a profit but it shouldn't be done at the expense of their passengers enjoyment of a cruise. I'm not in the boycotting camp however it would have to be a great deal to a highly desirable destination before I'd sail on the Island again.

Oddly enough, this is exactly how I feel about Royal and Regal Princess.

Roger on that! :(

I know I'm setting myself up to get flamed here, but really folks, I don't think the new aft looks any worse than this:

photo-e_zpscsbnxxj4.jpg

And to call this a pool is really ludicrous:

2582062080102519826vWUqhU_fs_zpszjjzx8dm.jpg

In my humble opinion, the aft of Island Princess was nothing but underutilized and wasted space and that goes for the Universe Lounge as well; it was an ugly and uncomfortable cavern of a room. I have avoided Island Princess, primarily because it had no aft-facing balcony cabins; and now that it does, I'm back onboard.

At least on the Coral you can walk completely around the Promenade deck. What Princess did to the Island is horrendous.

I can see plenty of traffic walking by those cabins. I always walk the Promenade deck 8 times in the morning. I will have to cut through the aft doors, walk across to the opposite aft doors and out onto the Promenade deck. I wouldn't want that kind of foot traffic walking by my cabin door on a cruise. Also, there's elevators there as well.

I wonder if the next change will be to charge to use a treadmill in the gym.

I had already written off the Coral when they dedicated the stern pool to the Sanctuary so whatever they do to improve the bottom line and the value of my shares....well I could care less about. Find something else to complain about Krusey....you just love to start this type of thread. I'll get the popcorn now.:rolleyes:

I like the new look. Getting rid of the jet engines and squaring off the back makes it look more modern. We have sailed on both ships and would have no problem booking them again.

I know I'm setting myself up to get flamed here, but really folks, I don't think the new aft looks any worse than this:

photo-e_zpscsbnxxj4.jpg

In my humble opinion, the aft of Island Princess was nothing but underutilized and wasted space and that goes for the Universe Lounge as well; it was an ugly and uncomfortable cavern of a room. I have avoided Island Princess, primarily because it had no aft-facing balcony cabins; and now that it does, I'm back onboard.

No matter how it looked, this ship was originally designed for going through the Panama Canal.

Before the renovations there were five decks where any passenger could see the view behind the ship and watch the gates close and the water rise.

After the renovations, there is no place for these passengers to have this view. Only those few who book the rear facing cabins with balconies and those who pay extra to use the Sanctuary that day will have the view that everyone used to expect to be able to have when going through the Canal.

photo-e_zpscsbnxxj4.jpg

In my humble opinion, the aft of Island Princess was nothing but underutilized and wasted space...

Other than The Sanctuary there really wasn't that much 'aft' back there to be considered "wasted space"; just narrow bands of deck deep enough for a few lounge chairs. Everything we see now back there is brand-new added-on superstructure. If they wanted to add new stuff back there they could have easily transformed the stern into tiered decks of aft-facing balcony staterooms similar to what Queen Elizabetth has.

And the 'before' looks much better than the 'after':

17743869960_fb3ff77c0f_b.jpg

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

A few observations from these pictures:

- that little 'house' parked at the end of The Sanctuary on Sun Deck port side reminds me of those Spa-related massage cabanas on Royal Princess

- the last mini-suites on Caribe Deck aft (C728 and C731) and Dolphin Deck (D727 and D725) looks to have a slightly larger balcony than the new aft mini-suites on the same deck. Same goes for the last standard balcony cabins on Emerald Deck (E736 and E737), which appear to have a slightly larger balcony.

- the 'balcony' on the new aft-corner Promenade Deck suites (PR726 and PR727) looks like they have a divider in the middle of them to where it may also not be a wrap-around as shown on the deck plan. Look at the third picture and you'll see it.

:D