What will Island Princess look like after May 2015?

m134

Just back from 12-day Venice to Barcelona on Island Princess. We had a mini-suite on Dolphin deck mid-ship and it was terrific. However, I heard many, many complaints from rooms not being completed, leaks, vibrations/noise, and one suite that was supposed to be ADA-compliant did not have wide enough balcony for wheelchair. Two floors did not have working laundry facilities and although our floor had working facilities, the soap machine did not work. Missed having the Vista Lounge which was converted to rooms. Staff did not seem overly enthusiastic, very different from Alaska cruises. Tours were very good albeit exhausting but the guides were very good. A couple of medical emergencies held up the ship a few times and made for late arrivals. Overall, great trip and fabulous people on board but the Island Princess still needs to work out some bugs.

Hello and welcome back! Did you notice any crowding with the extra passengers in the dining, buffet, elevators and pools? That's our biggest concern about an upcoming canal cruise. Thanks!

It was very crowded for bingo as it was held in the lounge at the same time as the two for one drinks! Since they no longer have the vista lounge it does impact some of the events. The elevators were not working properly at the start of the trip but they seemed to have cleared that up by the end of the trip and no issues with crowding. I didn't notice any significant crowding at dinner or by the pool. They had workers working installing carpeting, painting, etc. during the cruise. We had ceiling tiles hanging (safely) in our hallway the whole cruise.

It was very crowded for bingo as it was held in the lounge at the same time as the two for one drinks!

A masterful testament to poor planning.

Lucky the art auction was not also going on there at the same time.

Edited by caribill

Thanks to the returning cruisers for sharing your information! Welcome Back!

Sorry for any problems you had on your cruise, but it sounds like you had a good time regardless!

I think we all know the sad answer to the following question and are 97% sure given non-confirmed reports from other sites, but I thought that it would be good to ask again to get a 100% confirmation from our fellow CC'ers, no matter how sad the answer is going to be...

Did Princess put in an International Cafe on the Island Princess???

Happy Cruising!

Mark

Edited by cruisehappy001

It was very crowded for bingo as it was held in the lounge at the same time as the two for one drinks! Since they no longer have the vista lounge it does impact some of the events. The elevators were not working properly at the start of the trip but they seemed to have cleared that up by the end of the trip and no issues with crowding. I didn't notice any significant crowding at dinner or by the pool. They had workers working installing carpeting, painting, etc. during the cruise. We had ceiling tiles hanging (safely) in our hallway the whole cruise.

Thank you for the feedback!! We're considering the Coral Princess or Zuiderdam for a 2016 Panama Canal cruise, but we won't be able to sail until after the Coral's refit. She and Island have always rec'd the best reviews and are known for being spacious, so I was a little concerned about the extra passengers after the refit. It sounds like it's not really an issue, especially with all the construction still going on!

They had workers working installing carpeting, painting, etc. during the cruise. We had ceiling tiles hanging (safely) in our hallway the whole cruise.

It's not uncommon with Fincantieri, I think it's their way of giving their staff a holiday! LOL

Hi. I can absolutely confirm there was no international cafe. One of the crew told us it was originally scheduled to be built but dropped from the plans early on as they knew they didn't have enough the. The patisserie is still there for all your coffee needs. We found all the staff to be delightful but found often that the elite and suite line at the passenger services desk was not manned on a number of occasions.

The Patisserie was there on the Island Princess but it had one plate of small of items, not the full complement of sandwiches and soups like the Star or Sea Princess. Smaller ship so I guess they need to save room. We used to like to have lunch at the Patisserie on the other ships so we did miss that. However, we had so many tours that often we were not even on the ship for lunch. The tours provided excellent lunches when we were out and about.

I know folks have been talking about Island and Coral Princess so I went and just had a look at deck plans.

To my horror:eek:I have noticed the beautiful Wraparound Promenade deck is no more there are cabins at the wake:eek:

I know folks have been talking about Island and Coral Princess so I went and just had a look at deck plans.

To my horror:eek:I have noticed the beautiful Wraparound Promenade deck is no more there are cabins at the wake:eek:

Yup. Discussed ad nauseum in this thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127734

It'll make for some delightful weekend reading.

:D

Yep, I agree...it IS a shame.

I can understand wanting to get rid of the under-utilized Universe Lounge, but they could have installed balcony rooms on deck six and then outside rooms on deck seven, keeping the wrap-around promenade in tact.

With one inconsiderate stroke of a pen they've robbed their passengers of one of the most charming features of a sea voyage.

We're going on the REGAL in October. And while we're really looking forward to it, I am a bit sad that the ship doesn't have a wrap-around promenade.

Another possibility is the growing popularity of those aft cabins might have contributed to the changes. Simple supply and demand.

Aft cabins have been popular on ships since the Sun Class ships (90's). They have always been in high demand.

I think they took a ship with one of the best space ratios and added more cabins to it to increase revenue.

I can see plenty of traffic walking by those cabins. I always walk the Promenade deck 8 times in the morning. I will have to cut through the aft doors, walk across to the opposite aft doors and out onto the Promenade deck. I wouldn't want that kind of foot traffic walking by my cabin door on a cruise. Also, there's elevators there as well.

What are the chairs in the Horizon Court like? After Golden's dry dock, theirs are straight back, padded seats with no arms. No rattan. Are these like that?

Tia,

M/

I am on the Island now and it doesn't feel any more crowded than my previous four cruises on her. The Horizon Court redesign is great, and there is still an aft viewing deck on Emerald. My brother is in one of the aft ocean views and is calling the open deck his private balcony because no one is ever out there. Much ado about nothing as far as this refit IMHO, YMMV.

Probably one of the clearest images I've seen of the stern rebuild, the first of her starboard side.

I realize the setting sun is rather low in this picture. Several observations, as mentioned before:

- the aft-facing Aloha Deck suites are going to be pretty much totally exposed (A728, A729)

- same goes for all of the new side-facing Lido Deck balconies

- the aft-facing Lido Deck suites do not wrap around (L721, L722)

- the last side-facing Aloha Deck balcony does (A727, A726)

- that's the sun's glare reflecting off of the four aft-facing Baja Deck balconies ;)

- there seems to be little if any cross-deck wind protection for The Sanctuary

18293158051_b372743e81_b.jpg

(Credit image to Paolo Gangemi)

She will look ok one she's finished.

I know I'm setting myself up to get flamed here, but really folks, I don't think the new aft looks any worse than this:

photo-e_zpscsbnxxj4.jpg

And to call this a pool is really ludicrous:

2582062080102519826vWUqhU_fs_zpszjjzx8dm.jpg

In my humble opinion, the aft of Island Princess was nothing but underutilized and wasted space and that goes for the Universe Lounge as well; it was an ugly and uncomfortable cavern of a room. I have avoided Island Princess, primarily because it had no aft-facing balcony cabins; and now that it does, I'm back onboard.