What will Island Princess look like after May 2015?

m134

That was also my impression that these two suites were to be larger but from the picture, they are more like the OS on the Royal and they suck! They livingroom area on the OS Royal suites are so tight. I also will not be happy if, like some are saying here, that you can only get to the side balcony from the bedroom - real nice if you are having a sail away party. I like to take pictures at sailaway - real nice if you take a pic on the stern and then need to run inside and out the bedroom door to get a shot you missed from the stern.

AND the Royal OS tubs do not have jets - so I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will get them.

We shall see!

Dave,

thanks again for a great job on this thread.

Sandy

I wonder if we would have any recourse for misrepresentation?

We are reserved Suite A729 for Panama (Miami to Vancouver) in April 2016. We are wondering how much overhang on the balcony to provide some protection from the sun. Would appreciate any information in this regard.

We are reserved Suite A729 for Panama (Miami to Vancouver) in April 2016. We are wondering how much overhang on the balcony to provide some protection from the sun. Would appreciate any information in this regard.

Im not sure if you saw these from a few pages back, but there appears to be very little if any overhang. The Lido Deck above bulges out slightly exactly at amidship, but other than that, those two aft-facing suites on Aloha Deck look very exposed.

17274849283_3e996b89d3_b.jpg

Same picture but with decks labeled...

17896136521_be08b355d6_b.jpg

(Credit all images to Marjan Stropnik)

I'm here. The jury is still out. I'm trying to stay positive and can't wait to hear from someone that has stayed in it.

Dave, thanks again for a great job on this thread.

Sandy

Hopefully someone will report back in the next month or so. Or maybe we'll see more pictures. Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news, but at least it's better to know now than walking into a s*#t storm.

:)

I wonder if we would have any recourse for misrepresentation?

That's an interesting idea, but it seems the Call Center reps are still under the misguided impressions given by what's on the published deck plan. I recall an earlier post to where they even went to the structural department and came back with the same (incorrect) answer.

So until they get the 'right answer' that those suites don't actually wrap around, I don't see that you'll be able to ask about compensation for misrepresentation.

:(

Im not sure if you saw these from a few pages back, but there appears to be very little if any overhang. The Lido Deck above bulges out slightly exactly at amidship, but other than that, those two aft-facing suites on Aloha Deck look very exposed.
Your interpretation looks spot on Dave. Looks like maybe a foot or two of cover at most. Depending upon the direction you are sailing you may have shade part or most of the day. Sailing due south you would be shaded by the upper decks all day while sailing due north you would be in the sun all of the day.

Your interpretation looks spot on Dave. Looks like maybe a foot or two of cover at most. Depending upon the direction you are sailing you may have shade part or most of the day. Sailing due south you would be shaded by the upper decks all day while sailing due north you would be in the sun all of the day.

And don't forget too Brian, that sailing east/west those aft Aloha Deck suite balconies will be completely exposed for at least half the sunlit day as well.

I wonder about the tub - will we get jets or will it be like the Royal.

Hi Sandy,

I guess that I am also confused by looking at those suite pictures as to where the bathroom is? In that first picture there is a door, which leads to what: the hallway outside or the bathroom? Because the suite entry door appears to be in the second picture, just left of center, behind the table lamp. If that door in the first picture is the bathroom that's an awkward location being right in the living room area.

:confused:

And don't forget too Brian, that sailing east/west those aft Aloha Deck suite balconies will be completely exposed for at least half the sunlit day as well.

True. I just gave a couple of examples. Even "fully covered" balconies can be in full sunshine for most of a given day depending upon the ship's direction of travel. The old two story Sanctuary on the Island had a significant covered portion on the lower level. However, on the five days sailing north from the canal to LA there was no shade to be found on the lower level. Fortunately, we had one of the four, now gone, cabanas on the upper level and we could close the drape to shut out the sun.

That was also my impression that these two suites were to be larger but from the picture, they are more like the OS on the Royal and they suck! They livingroom area on the OS Royal suites are so tight. I also will not be happy if, like some are saying here, that you can only get to the side balcony from the bedroom - real nice if you are having a sail away party. I like to take pictures at sailaway - real nice if you take a pic on the stern and then need to run inside and out the bedroom door to get a shot you missed from the stern.

AND the Royal OS tubs do not have jets - so I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will get them.

We shall see!

Dave,

thanks again for a great job on this thread.

Sandy

According to the deckplans, L721 and L722 at Cat S4 Penthouse suites, not Cat S2 Owner's suites. Looks like more space than a typical Penthouse suite, but probably less usable space :eek:

Anyone who knew how to design a decent suite must have left before the Caribbean was designed. She started the Riviera deck Cat S4 Penthouse suites with the ridiculous 5 foot deep balconies, then the Sun deck Cat S2 "Owner's suites" added to the Golden that were just one open odd shaped room with no dining table, then the Cat S2 "Owner's suites" on the Royal/Regal again with no dining table, no whirlpool tub, the strange layout and most with 4/5 foot balconies and now the strange layout of Cat S4 Penthouse suites L721 and L722.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Cannot figure out what the designers were thinking when they designed the exterior of the aft with those "fill-in" cabins -- thought the NCL Breakaway ship has an ugly aft end, but this is WORSE! Why not a few more aft balconies or at least windows....

I hate that they destroyed ALL those nice little open aft decks on Island -- that was such a wonderful place to be when sailing in the Canal locks....couldn't they have left at least 1 aft area on an upper level open????

I hated the layout of that "showroom" at the back end of the ship -- absolutely the worst design....so I am glad to see that area was "reinvented" into cabins.....

Hi Sandy,

I guess that I am also confused by looking at those suite pictures as to where the bathroom is? In that first picture there is a door, which leads to what: the hallway outside or the bathroom? Because the suite entry door appears to be in the second picture, just left of center, behind the table lamp. If that door in the first picture is the bathroom that's an awkward location being right in the living room area.

:confused:

I think that is a door to the adjacent cabin Dave, if you want adjoining cabins. There isn't enough space there for the bathroom. I think the bathroom is near the door to the corridor, picture 2 kind of alludes to it just around the corner from the seating area. Comparing the pictures to the deck plan it would put the bathroom directly behind the sofa.

Edited by Bazz747

Makes sense... :D

I think that is a door to the adjacent cabin Dave, if you want adjoining cabins. There isn't enough space there for the bathroom. I think the bathroom is near the door to the corridor, picture 2 kind of alludes to it just around the corner from the seating area. Comparing the pictures to the deck plan it would put the bathroom directly behind the sofa.

Dave,

I agree, it is very confusing but I am not sure if the pictures are of L721 or L722. If you look at the before and after layouts, the corner suites are longer and narrower than L723, 724 and 726. Also the corner suites have a short entrance so if you look straight in, which that picture does, there is no way it is deep enough to have an end table, love seat, buffet table or whatever you call it and then a desk, although it is pretty tight. Also, you would be looking straight in at the side of the ship - so there would only be one sliding door, not two (bedroom one)

But, in the fifth picture, you see part of the drapery which would means a sliding door in the bedroom. After looking closer, could the pictures be of several cabins? The bedroom desk looks like it is in a different location in the pictures. Where are these pictures from?

We booked the Royal the first day they became available and the OS layout changed so maybe the same thing has happened on the Island.

IECalCruiser,

you are correct. Was talking about the Royal and got confused.

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

After studying the deck plans and pictures at great length, this is what I've come up with (not to scale), and I've brought forward the suite pictures in the next post after this one for ease of access to compare...

17855595239_f23d7c0f0f_z.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Hi Sandy,

After studying the deck plans and pictures at great length, this is what I've come up with (not to scale), and I've brought forward the suite pictures in the next post after this one for ease of access to compare...

Having looked again and again, I would go with that Dave. The deck plans state no connecting door between 720 and 722 so that blows my theory also there appears to be equal distance either side of the side balcony door. This is shown in pic 3 where you can see quite a lot of distance beyond the mirror. So the door must be a door into the bathroom or perhaps a separate head?

Pity the photographer didn't take/post some pictures of the bathroom too, would have stopped all this head scratching, LOL/

Thanks for the comments on the aft balcony A729 and exposure to sun. They pretty much confirm our thoughts. We are thinking of canceling our cruise. We have some time to make that decision, hopefully we can get some reviews from people that have cruised in these two cabins.

Good job Dave.

I was doing it on paper. I don't do well with computers, scanners, etc and my son gets tired of me asking the same "how to" questions over and over.

Your drawing makes it look even tighter than the pics. How in the heck can you entertain people without having to step over them to mix a drink at the bar.

We need someone to report in. Would like to see some bath pictures.

thanks again,

Sandy

Good job Dave.

I was doing it on paper. I don't do well with computers, scanners, etc and my son gets tired of me asking the same "how to" questions over and over.

Your drawing makes it look even tighter than the pics. How in the heck can you entertain people without having to step over them to mix a drink at the bar.

We need someone to report in. Would like to see some bath pictures.

thanks again,

Sandy

The suite pictures are from one of the Italian cruise forums (similar to Cruise Critic) that I used when following the build of Royal Princess and Regal Princess.

And like I said, the little drawing with the furniture I made is really not to scale, so hopefully we'll see more pictures in the near future of the same suite with people it in.

:D

Having looked again and again, I would go with that Dave.

I only did the critical thinking after pulling out a deck plan and putting it side-by-side with the pictures; detailing the furniture into the deck plan cabin really helped.

;)

Thanks for the comments on the aft balcony A729 and exposure to sun. They pretty much confirm our thoughts. We are thinking of canceling our cruise. We have some time to make that decision, hopefully we can get some reviews from people that have cruised in these two cabins.

It is shame they couldn't have extended the Lido Deck balconies a little further to provide those suites with at least 50% coverage.

:(

Don't understand why that door is there to the bathroom when there is access from the side. I guess having the extra balcony even if it doesn't connect is a bonus. Since this was an upsell for us and only paid $7500 for the 12 days with ultimate drink package we will stay put.

Great job with the layout drawing. What were they thinking putting that wall in the middle of the room! They could have made it a little smaller turned it 90 degrees and then used the whole space and the living area would look out of the side glass doors. I think that the door to the bathroom should have been in the entrance area then you would have a whole nice feature wall and easy for furniture placement. Oh well, I'll still enjoy and love it on my Panama Canal cruise.

Hi Sandy,

I think you nailed the layout Dave :) What a poor use of the space.

Cannot figure out what the designers were thinking when they designed the exterior of the aft with those "fill-in" cabins -- thought the NCL Breakaway ship has an ugly aft end, but this is WORSE! Why not a few more aft balconies or at least windows....

I hate that they destroyed ALL those nice little open aft decks on Island -- that was such a wonderful place to be when sailing in the Canal locks....couldn't they have left at least 1 aft area on an upper level open????

I hated the layout of that "showroom" at the back end of the ship -- absolutely the worst design....so I am glad to see that area was "reinvented" into cabins.....

There is still the stern open space on deck 8. The only apparent change there is the addition of six support columns by the railing.