Royal Princess Oceanview cabins

paddingtonbear

Hi

I am looking at a British Isles cruise on the Royal (no other option) and it says there are no oceanview cabins available (not sold out just not available). On the ship plans there are ocean view cabins. Why is this?

Also I can't bring up any cabins below level 8 on the website. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi

I am looking at a British Isles cruise on the Royal (no other option) and it says there are no oceanview cabins available (not sold out just not available). On the ship plans there are ocean view cabins. Why is this?

Also I can't bring up any cabins below level 8 on the website. Am I doing something wrong?

There are only balcony cabins and inside cabins. Obliviously the balcony cabins have an ocean view.

Theo

Sent from my GT-P7510

Hi

This class of ship was constructed under a much newer set of maritime standards and regulations having to do with the placement of the lifeboats; no longer are they suspended above the promenade deck as before, but are either deck-mounted (like the Royal Princess) or suspended out away from the hull to the side of the ship (see Norwegian Breakaway as an example).

With the Royal-class having deck mounted lifeboats, this gave way for what had been obstructed ocean view cabins to now become obstructed view balcony cabins.

But the problem now seems to be with the pricing - that they are priced as a more expensive balcony cabin and not as an ocean view cabin, and it's that price difference that is making it difficult for those who normally book obstructed ocean view cabins to justify the added expense when considering the alternative. I've argued all along that the obstructed balcony cabins on Deck 8 should be priced as if they were obstructed ocean view cabins to make them more attractive in cost.

Princess Cruises has also placed all of the main public rooms on the lowest decks of the ship, including the relocation of the expansive Spa and Thermal Suite (The Enclave) down to Deck 5 (Plaza Deck) forward, which in turn has eliminated any ocean view cabins below Deck 8.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

With the Royal-class having deck mounted lifeboats, this gave way for what had been obstructed ocean view cabins to now become obstructed view balcony cabins.

But the problem now seems to be with the pricing - that they are priced as a more expensive balcony cabin and not as an ocean view cabin, and it's that price difference that is making it difficult for those who normally book obstructed ocean view cabins to justify the added expense when considering the alternative.

Thank you all. I think there was a glitch on the website or I wasn't searching properly because it now comes up with a completely different set of deck plans. So I can see that you are right and there are no oceanview cabins. Such a surprise.

Sad for those who don't like inside cabins but don't want to stretch to a balcony.

Thank you all. I think there was a glitch on the website or I wasn't searching properly because it now comes up with a completely different set of deck plans. So I can see that you are right and there are no oceanview cabins. Such a surprise.

Sad for those who don't like inside cabins but don't want to stretch to a balcony.

I agree with you, because it's nice to have the view and an idea of what it's like outside when you wake up, but I've found that the ship's webcam station on your cabin TV is a great alternative when occupying an inside cabin.

The inside, sideways cabins on the Royal are fantastic. Larger than other insides I've had and the layout makes it seem like a small apartment instead of a cramped room. I loved mine on Caribe Deck, in the mid-forward area (323). I am told to be careful not to book the quad cabin because it has bunks that do not go into the ceiling but are just hanging there. I had an attack of claustrophobia just looking at the picture.

The Royal is a gorgeous ship and I highly encourage anyone to book and sail on her. There were things I might have done differently had I been designing her, but nothing that was a deal breaker - no, not even the lack of center stairs from deck 8 up.

Mauree

Paddingtonbear, if you eventually consider one of the Inside Sideways cabins, here are some pictures of the one I had on Royal Princess for two-weeks this past December...

My cabin was just forward of the center elevators. It was very quite, and the lack of the air grating vent in the bottom of the door (that you'll find on Grand-class cabins) was a real 'plus' in keeping out noise from foot traffic in the corridors.

C406

11210019424_1b3c8970a5_c.jpg

11210018684_49718c409d_c.jpg

11210020404_70a9c684a7_c.jpg

11210019654_7583014704_c.jpg

Thanks for the photos dmwnc.

It does look nice. However, I have a psychological block to an inside cabin. I went on an Italian Ferry for an overnight trip and they only had an inside cabin available. I spent an hour telling myself "I'm fine..." before I finally fell asleep and I couldn't face it again. Silly I know!

Edited by paddingtonbear

I was not happy pating for the balcony which we never used . No more Royal class for us.

And I can't wait to sail Regal Princess in 2016, or the new Royal-class in 2017, for two glorious weeks around the Caribbean in a Deluxe balcony cabin. Such a wonderful fourteen days I spent on Royal Princess...best cruise ever. I've found my home in this new design, as it was a perfect fit for me.

Hi Dave!

Thanks for posting these photos...a friend of mine just booked a sideways interior cabin and I will make sure she sees these. Looks like a nice, roomy layout.

OP, keep checking prices and promotions as they change frequently. On our upcoming cruise on the Regal, we were originally in a Lido deck inside cabin, then when the free gratuity promo was offered a few months ago and applied only to balconies and above for our sailing, we booked a minimum obstructed balcony guarantee as the price difference was much smaller. Our cabin was just assigned and fortunately we are near the forward elevators/stairs in cabin E322, so the missing center staircase wont be an issue. I expect to look down and see a lifeboat, but at least it is fresh air!

good luck!

Hi Carole!

Count four balconies down from 310 (going left to right) and that's E322 - it's just at, and forward of, the raised bump on the aft part of that lifeboat...

14903884121_32f7a8eac1_c.jpg

Hi Dave!

Thanks for posting these photos...a friend of mine just booked a sideways interior cabin and I will make sure she sees these. Looks like a nice, roomy layout.

OP, keep checking prices and promotions as they change frequently. On our upcoming cruise on the Regal, we were originally in a Lido deck inside cabin, then when the free gratuity promo was offered a few months ago and applied only to balconies and above for our sailing, we booked a minimum obstructed balcony guarantee as the price difference was much smaller. Our cabin was just assigned and fortunately we are near the forward elevators/stairs in cabin E322, so the missing center staircase wont be an issue. I expect to look down and see a lifeboat, but at least it is fresh air!

good luck!

JRZEBIRD

We will be in Baja 323 on the Royal. Was the layout in your cabin as in the pictures on this thread or a mirror image. I have seen pics that show drawers and counter along one side of the bed, but not on these pics. Is the head of the bed forward? Concerned about hallway light when I come in late and DH is sleeping. He sleeps on the (my) right.

JRZEBIRD

We will be in Baja 323 on the Royal. Was the layout in your cabin as in the pictures on this thread or a mirror image. I have seen pics that show drawers and counter along one side of the bed, but not on these pics. Is the head of the bed forward? Concerned about hallway light when I come in late and DH is sleeping. He sleeps on the (my) right.

My layout was exactly as in Dave's great photos.

Since I'm never sure which is forward and aft when on a ship (yeah, I walk the wrong way frequently) I don't know which way the head of the bed sits. As there is absolutely no sense of moving forward while on the ship, I really don't know what difference the bed orientation would make.

I hope you love the Royal a much as I did. It took me about 3 days until I felt connected to the new space, and after that, I had found my home!

Maureen

• 2 weeks later...

We were in that room. You will have a lifeboat view and the balconys are very small. I used mine for a total of 15 minutes and felt cramped. This time going twenty days and booked an inside cabin which i have never had before.