How to avoid getting swollen on a cruise

funnychick39

Don't forget that if the dasalinization systems on the ship are older they are likely leaving more sodium in the water as well.

If you can, limit consumption of ice and water-based beverages made onboard. The more you drink the more water you will likely retain.

Unfortunately, most of the cruise lines use a lot of MSG, which is full of sodium, on their fresh veggies to keep them looking nice on the buffet. I quit worrying about eating salad when I am cruising and my swollen ankle problems disappeared. Instead of eating a salad every day, which is my preference, I have soup at dinner and have a salad every three days or so in the main dining room. I stay away from the lido salad bar altogether. If we eat something on shore, I will have salad there. I also try to stay away from the cut melons and go for an apple or banana instead.

Once I realized the MSG situation and changed my eating habits on board, my problem went away.

Unless yoh plan on stop breathing, there's nothing you can do. Most of the air you are breathing, you are ingesting a lot of salt.

Just drink lots of water to keep your kidney working on overdrive to rid rid your body of that salt.

Um, what? You do not inhale sodium. You ingest it through what you eat and drink. Also, the water helps flush out your system, it doesn't make your kidney's work in "overdrive". Where exactly did you get your medical information?:confused:

Drinking water is the best bet. My ankles swell a little on cruises, but never to the extent that it's a problem. OP, you should never swell up that much and I agree with seeing a Dr about it.

It's not the ships water or the age of the desalination equipment. The water has less sodium in it than your home tap water more than likely. It's food and alcohol that cause you to retain fluid and humidity makes it worse. Some foods, such as watermelon are natural diuretics.

Edited by BND

Unfortunately, most of the cruise lines use a lot of MSG, which is full of sodium, on their fresh veggies to keep them looking nice on the buffet. I quit worrying about eating salad when I am cruising and my swollen ankle problems disappeared. Instead of eating a salad every day, which is my preference, I have soup at dinner and have a salad every three days or so in the main dining room. I stay away from the lido salad bar altogether. If we eat something on shore, I will have salad there. I also try to stay away from the cut melons and go for an apple or banana instead.

Once I realized the MSG situation and changed my eating habits on board, my problem went away.

That soup has more sodium than a salad could ever have.

I know some people say it's the water (don't think it is), and some people say it's flying (it's not for me). But, it is extremely obvious and very uncomfortable. I can fly to San Juan or Miami from Denver, enjoy a few days at port or board the ship on the following day, and have zero problems. But, two or three days into the cruise, and I have to buy men's flip-flops in a size 9. (I wear a size 7.5 ladies.) I elevate my feet above my waist (when sitting :-O), and only drink bottled water.

I think my problems stem from having two badly sprained ankles so my blood just doesn't circulate as well as it should from my feet back to my heart. I also have bizarre feet (to everyone else), but quite normal (to me). I have extremely high arches which cause two of my toes on each foot not to reach the ground. (My wet footprint looks like a big heel, barely anything connecting to the balls of feet, and then three toes. I don't think I should break any laws whilst barefoot.) I don't think my bizarro-normal foot shape has anything to do with the swelling. If it did, then my feet would swell whether I was on a cruise or not.

I will be trying the dry brushing on my next cruise. (I saw multiple links to the thread already.)

Edited by Chirpbird
Pictures wouldn't display

I know some people say it's the water (don't think it is), and some people say it's flying (it's not for me). But, it is extremely obvious and very uncomfortable. I can fly to San Juan or Miami from Denver, enjoy a few days at port or board the ship on the following day, and have zero problems. But, two or three days into the cruise, and I have to buy men's flip-flops in a size 9. (I wear a size 7.5 ladies.) I elevate my feet above my waist (when sitting :-O), and only drink bottled water.

I think my problems stem from having two badly sprained ankles so my blood just doesn't circulate as well as it should from my feet back to my heart. I also have bizarre feet (to everyone else), but quite normal (to me). I have extremely high arches which cause two of my toes on each foot not to reach the ground. (My wet footprint looks like a big heel, barely anything connecting to the balls of feet, and then three toes. I don't think I should break any laws whilst barefoot.) I don't think my bizarro-normal foot shape has anything to do with the swelling. If it did, then my feet would swell whether I was on a cruise or not.

I will be trying the dry brushing on my next cruise. (I saw multiple links to the thread already.)

My wife and I have both had this problem with our ankles and feet. We just upped our water intake and started taking a diuretic every day on the cruise. Problem solved.

kiss of death for me and swelling. Spoke with my dr. about it and take water pills while cruising. Another suggestion from him was to go local drug store and buy knee high support socks (mostly for diabetics). I found them and tried them and will never fly without them again. They are a godsend! Also found them at our local Walmart - in the medical section. Have a few pairs now and while on the cruise if I start to swell I sleep with the stockings on - next morning things are back to normal. Also increase my water intake to the point where I carry a water around with me! I usually order a case of water and have it waiting for me on board. I do still have a drink or two when the mood strikes me (am not a big drinker) and if I have a drink I follow it with a bottle of water. Also, I try not to drink soda while I am cruising and I think (maybe only in my mind) it helps. Another helpful tip was to try support hose - they work but are not as snug as the knee highs. Try the socks! They work!

Edited by moxie99

That soup has more sodium than a salad could ever have.

You are right soup is loaded with sodium. About MSG this would be an interesting question for Carnival because many people have reactions when MSG is ingested so I would think that Carnival would have signs posted whether MSG is added to foods. My ankles do swell but I think that is more Alcohol related than sodium but since I try to keep my sodium intake less that 1000mg per day at home but being on a cruise and eating foods that I have no control over the amount that is added does not help.

Gary

You are right soup is loaded with sodium. About MSG this would be an interesting question for Carnival because many people have reactions when MSG is ingested so I would think that Carnival would have signs posted whether MSG is added to foods. My ankles do swell but I think that is more Alcohol related than sodium but since I try to keep my sodium intake less that 1000mg per day at home but being on a cruise and eating foods that I have no control over the amount that is added does not help.

Gary

MSG reactions are mostly imagined and/or blown way out of proportion. Evidence of it being an allergen or problematic is anecdotal at best. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/monosodium-glutamate/faq-20058196

Eat half size portions and drink water at meals; avoid alcohol and coffee which both dehydrate. If you order the spa dining choice, you can eat the whole thing! Walk for 20 minutes or take the stairs and avoid sitting everywhere you go...standing is much better if sitting is not required. I will go to the show and stand in the back to avoid sitting right after dinner.

I used to work in a cardiac unit, and we would sometimes get patients admitted after eating at places like Red Lobster that are known for very high sodium content of their food- in congestive heart failure. A diuretic and a low sodium diet for a day or two reverses the problem, but once it starts, it can snowball. Definitely see your doctor and report this as it is not likely to improve since kidney function generally decreases 10% every decade after 30. Your kidneys can only work so hard.

The number one way to avoid this is to weigh every day and if you are gaining more than 1/2 lb per day it is water weight. Limit sodium strictly for a day or two until your weight stabilizes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The last couple of cruises we have taken my DH & I have avoided the elevators all together. On our last cruise, last week, I counted one day, and did oer 30 flights of stairs. Usually it was just 2 flights at a time, but when we would get up to walk in the morning, we would do 4 flights at one time, from Empress (7) up to Deck 11 to take our morning stroll. I'm not gonna lie, I was puffing a bit at that last flight, but normally it was just transitioning between our dining room (8), or Serenity Deck (9) or Lido (10). It's amazing how quick it added up when you keep track.

I realize many people can't, because of bad knees, etc., but avoiding the elevators and walking each morning has made it much easier to cruise without gaining weight, or having so much swelling as before. We also bring a lot of bottled water on board, but with the new Cheers Program, we are certainty having our adult beverages as well. It's all trade-offs...

Another thing that will slow this process is to drink 8- 16 oz of plain water upon arising...I always do this before breakfast -and coffee- so I don't start off dry every morning. This is impossible to do on port days with the question of bathroom availability ever-present, but it is a practice I do at home and on the ship. Water availability on the ship is an issue for me; I have brought a case from home before and it was gone within 2-3 days (4 of us).

I always thought there is a limit to the amount of beverages you are allowed to bring onboard. Is water an exception to the rule? Can we really bring on an entire case?

We brought a case and I have seen groups where everyone in the party had a case of water. Some people strap it down with bungee cords. I just had it crammed into the rolling carry on where they could see it was unopened.

The water for purchase is ridiculously high, but we have bought Pellegrino before and had it delivered...lasted a bit longer, but not enough IMHO...