Concerning "Collector" voyages.

Alcarondas

Forgive me for the SQAATT (that is, Stupid Question Asked All The Time), but I'm sure the HAL savants here can answer this faster than it would take me to search the forum. :)

On back-to-back "Collector" cruises, what is the procedure on the turnaround day between legs of the trip? Do you and your luggage have to physically dis-and re-embark? I assume you keep the same cabin...

Thanks for your help.

For Collector cruises, in many ports they do need you to disembark for a 0 countdown and/or customs clearance and then you can get right back on the ship. Your luggage doesn't have to come off and on. All your stuff stays in y our cabin and yes, traditionally you have the same cabin for the entire cruise.

the rules for the ports vary. In Europe you don't always have to disembark. In Fort Lauderdale you do.

And, you do need to go to the second muster drill on the second segment even though you went to the first one;)

We did a great many b-to-b's and Collector Cruises with turn around in FLL and this is the procedure we have always followed since 9-11.

If you have the same cabin, you leave all your personal property in place in your cabin.

The last night of your first segment, you will receive a letter telling you the requirement for Immigration clearance, when and how to go and dining hours for 'turnaround day'.

You will have to exit the ship, go into the terminal with your passport and clear Immigration. You will not be permitted back aboard until the ship has 'zeroed down' meaning all who are meant to be leaving have done so.

You can choose to either go as a group following the instructions as to where to meet or you can go on your own. We always go on our own. There has been some negative conversation that you must go with the whole crowd but that is not true. In a very large number of b-to-b, we have always gone on our own and security at the gangway, CBP Officials in the Terminal, Shore Operations people in the terminal and Security when we reboard all have told us it is fine and never have we had a problem.

We always wait until they call the last of the disembarkation colors/numbers and go then as that usually should mean a short wait ashore. Our average wait has been in the range of 30-45 minutes but it can vary. If there is a selfish idiot who takes their sweet time about leaving despite repeated calls to disembark, no one can board until they leave.

You can reboard by just clearing through security but no need to go to the check in lines or get a 'number'.

You should bring the 'in transit card' that will be enclosed with the letter you receive and your ship's ID, as always.

B-to-b's are fabulous. We've done a great many and always enjoyed each and every one.

Edited by sail7seas

Essentially "Collector Voyages" are two back to back cruises that the cruise line has combined into one and sold as a single cruise. Since some ports require that all passengers disembark before the new passengers can come aboard, the second portion is thus treated as a new cruise and your new cruise card will reflect that. An important difference is that if you take two back to backs, you may get more benefits, but you may or may not have to move to a different cabin on turnaround day. For example, on our recent two 17 day b2bs on Sapphire Princess, we got two mini-bar setups and two sets of 250 free internet minutes for a total of 1000 minutes for the 34 days. We did have to move to a different cabin, but the stewards handled most of that so it took about 20 minutes. We also kept the same fixed dining room table but of course we had new tablemates.

In the US, it's SOP for the passengers to leave the ship on turnaround day. There have been a few reports of times when the through passengers have been allowed to clear in a lounge, but those are rare.

In all the turnaround days I have done in Europe, I have never been required to leave the ship, or otherwise report to anyone for anything. It's always been just another port day. Neither was I required to clear in Sydney, Australia.

In Japan, everyone must clear, and the ship zero down.

Every country has its own method.

In the US, it's SOP for the passengers to leave the ship on turnaround day. There have been a few reports of times when the through passengers have been allowed to clear in a lounge, but those are rare.

In all the turnaround days I have done in Europe, I have never been required to leave the ship, or otherwise report to anyone for anything. It's always been just another port day. Neither was I required to clear in Sydney, Australia.

In Japan, everyone must clear, and the ship zero down.

Every country has its own method.

We did have to get off in Tilbury (England) to go through immigration. Once cleared you were free to go back on.

We never had to get off in Montreal though we chose to. Who would want to be in Montreal and not go enjoy that wonderful city? :)

Had we chosen to stay aboard, we would not have to clear Immigration.