This might be a silly question....

3red7s

We are booked for the Viking River Paris to Normandy trip in August. This is our 1st river cruise and we are excited. We have done 23 ocean cruises, but are looking forward to a change. I hope you don't think this is a silly question, but once we come to the end of our cruise in Normandy....how do we get back to the airport???? do we go back up the river? or take a bus? Thank you everyone

We are booked for the Viking River Paris to Normandy trip in August. This is our 1st river cruise and we are excited. We have done 23 ocean cruises' date=' but are looking forward to a change. I hope you don't think this is a silly question, but once we come to the end of our cruise in Normandy....how do we get back to the airport???? do we go back up the river? or take a bus? Thank you everyone[/quote']

I'm figuring that you didn't book airfare as part of your cruise? If you are flying back home out of the same airport that you flew into to take the cruise, you'd have to get yourself back there. I'd suggest looking into taking a train.

Forgive me if I'm missing something but I just looked and I think the OP is taking "Paris & the Heart of Normandy" this is a round trip Paris to Paris itinerary.

Getting back to Charles de Gualle airport from Paris after the cruise should be as simple as buying a transfer from Viking or numerous other Vendors 40 - 60 min or take the train from one of many stations directly to airport.

Maybe I have misunderstood the OP question.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you book air through Viking then transfers to and from the ship will be included.

If you book your own air, then you might be able to purchase Viking transfers or you'll have to provide your own. As Shmoo here suggested you could look into train service from CDG into Paris and there's also bus service, shuttles, pre-booked cabs or taxis at the airport.

A lot depends on how you travel and manage luggage, etc. But I'm sure you know that from your Ocean Cruises.

As we're getting older (did I really say that!!) we're beginning to rely more on taxis rather than trains. We spent 8 days in Paris this past September before a Viking Bordeaux Cruise. We made taxi arrangements with a company that was recommend on the Ports site and I'd also highly recommend them: Paris airport shuttle inter services [Cdg,Orly,Beauvais,City tour day and nigh It was wonderful getting off the plane at CDG and seeing our name being held by the driver!!

A lot depends on what you're planning - just the cruise or a pre/post trip.

Before the end of the cruise, the Viking Cruise Director had asked anyone needing transportation to talk to him and we arranged for a taxi to take us to the airport - we agreed on a time convenient for our flight. He told us exactly what the fare would be - I think 50euro - which was also the price mentioned on these boards. Viking was selling their transfers for 60euro per person - I didn't feel the difference was justified so we went for the private taxi.

Hope this helps - any other general questions just ask away - we've sailed three times with Viking and just love it!! But we've never taken the Normandy trip.

Have a great time!!!

Forgive me if I'm missing something but I just looked and I think the OP is taking "Paris & the Heart of Normandy" this is a round trip Paris to Paris itinerary.

Getting back to Charles de Gualle airport from Paris after the cruise should be as simple as buying a transfer from Viking or numerous other Vendors 40 - 60 min or take the train from one of many stations directly to airport.

Maybe I have misunderstood the OP question.

I don't think you misunderstood the question. It IS a round trip Paris to Paris itinerary.

OP, take a look at this information, from the Viking website, which details the itinerary: http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/passenger_documentation/2014/14PARNORCDG_Paris%20Normandy%20CDG-CDG8.pdf

You'll be in Rouen to do the tour to Normandy about Day 5 (page 35). Then you go back to Paris, stopping in a couple of places along the way.

As others have said, if you purchased your transfers or pre/post hotels with Viking, they will transfer you. If not, then you will have to make your own arrangements to get to/from the airport.

Sounded to me like the OP thought they were being left in Normandy and had to make their way back to Paris.

Like many big cities, the airport is just out side the city. Buy transfers from Viking or get a cab.... Does not seem like to much of a challenge.

Ok just read OP post again, she does seem to think the cruise ends in Normandy! Which is not the case of course.

Would love to sail this itinerary!

Edited by nana541

I am so sorry that I confused everyone. We are used to ocean cruises....sail from Miami.....return to Miami.

We have RT airfare arranged by the Viking.

My question is....once we travel down river from Paris>Normandy....

how do we get back to the airport for departure? does the ship go back up the river? or do they take you from taxi/bus, driven back to the airport?

:confused:

I am so sorry that I confused everyone. We are used to ocean cruises....sail from Miami.....return to Miami.

how do we get back to the airport for departure? does the ship go back up the river? or do they take you from taxi/bus' date=' driven back to the airport?

:confused:[/quote']

Yes of course you are on a round trip Paris - Normandy - Paris...

You board in Paris at the beginning of your cruise and you disembark in Paris at the end of your cruise.

If Viking booking your air then they will return you to the airport for your flight. Did you book with a TA, she should be able to give you the details .

Your cruise DOES NOT end in Normandy it returns to Paris!

Edited by nana541

Even though Viking will take care of everything for you on this cruise, IMHO you will be much better prepared if you look the cruise up on Viking's website and read all the detailed information they post there. You should find a map and an agenda for each day of the cruise. The fine print says anything may change if weather etc. intervene, but most of what they show will happen pretty much they way they show it -- I feel much more secure knowing what to expect. [And I am unanimous in that! :)]

how do we get back to the airport for departure? does the ship go back up the river? or do they take you from taxi/bus' date=' driven back to the airport?

:confused:[/quote']

Since it's already been established that your trip begins and ends in Paris, I may be way off base here, but I'm thinking what you want to know is HOW do you get to the airport after the boat docks in Paris...they will take you by bus or taxi depending on what time your flight is and how many other passengers have flights around that time. Since you've purchased your air with Viking, your transfers to the airport will be included.

Thank you everyone!!! This is all so new to us!! I did go ahead & set up my trip into the Viking Website....tons of info. What would I do without you wonderful Cruise Critic people....thx for your patience with me. HAVE A WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING!;)