Freedom vs Independence

EJPhilly

I am looking into doing Western Caribbean next May w/ DH. Would you do Freedom or Independence, we've never been on either. I know they are the same class of ships, but is one better than the other? I'm torn between the two.

Edited by EJPhilly

They're basically identical ships. Freedom was the first so it's a little older, but otherwise they are far more alike than different. Can't go wrong with either, so I'd pick the itinerary that you like better and roll with it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They're basically identical ships. Freedom was the first so it's a little older, but otherwise they are far more alike than different. Can't go wrong with either, so I'd pick the itinerary that you like better and roll with it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks.. The itinerary is exactly the same (Western Caribbean). With the BOGO sale going on now, the Independce is about a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

If you have kids, you may prefer Freedom because it has Dreamworks characters. Freedom also has the Freestyle Coke machines.

Bob, it's just hubby & I. Does the Independence have Park Cafe? We absolutely loved it on Oasis. Thanks :)

Bob, it's just hubby & I. Does the Independence have Park Cafe? We absolutely loved it on Oasis. Thanks :)

No Park Cafe on any Freedom or Voyager class ship. You will have Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's Pizza, but no roast beef sandwiches.

Freedom will be going into dry dock in January 2015, so that might be something to consider. Indy also does not have the 3D movie theater.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Do you know what's being done on Freedom during the Dry Dock? Thx

I am looking into doing Western Caribbean next May w/ DH. Would you do Freedom or Independence, we've never been on either. I know they are the same class of ships, but is one better than the other? I'm torn between the two.

Ships basically the same!

Itineraries basically the same!

Port Canaveral vs Fort Lauderdale (we like Port Canaveral more!)

Prices we see show Freedom a little higher, $50. per person!

A true tossup!:eek:

I think the production shows on Indy are horrible. It also does not have a Logo shop. The Promenade has devoted lots of space to selling tobacco, alcohol, and perfume. There are no freestyle soda machines. Maybe now that the ship won't be going back to the UK in the summer they will convert things back to the way they were and add the soda machines. I have no idea when the shows will FINALLY change on this ship.

All that being said, I choose to sail on this ship because I love the 8 night itinerary (which will be disappearing soon) and very much enjoy the Freedom class ships. Hmmm, maybe RCI should keep the itinerary and change the shows instead.;):rolleyes:

If you are flying that could make a big difference into which I chose. It doesn't get any more convenient that Ft. Lauderdale. Orlando to Port Canaveral would take some extra planning and cost to get to the port. This could really swing the price in favor of Indy.

If you are flying that could make a big difference into which I chose. It doesn't get any more convenient that Ft. Lauderdale. Orlando to Port Canaveral would take some extra planning and cost to get to the port. This could really swing the price in favor of Indy.

I agree, one has to consider the costs of transportation. In addition, if the OP is spending a night in a hotel, that might swing the cost benefit back to Port Canaveral. I've been very surprised at the high cost of hotels in Ft. Lauderdale lately.

I have to agree with the previous posters, the two ships are identical. Freedom has the Dreamworks Experience and the 3D Movies, which Indy does not. I, personally, like Freedom better, it's got that kinda cozy feel to it, I liked the crew better and I do like Port Canaveral so much better then Fort Lauderdale even considering the ride from Orlando. We sailed on Freedom during Spring Break and Indy over the New Years, so both are kinda busy seasons, but I am not sure if this is an apples to apples comparison, and Fort Lauderdale was just SOOOOOO busy :-O I would imagine with Disney World and all - Orlando would be as busy during the holidays. Just my 2 cents, I guess. ;)