1st TIMER

Ted1690

Hi all, my wife and I have, after much deliberation, booked our First Cruise.

We have decided on Royal Carribbean - Jewel of the Seas.

Leaving from Puerto Rico 2015.

Very excited and any info will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance. Ted.

Hi Ted! Welcome to both Cruise Critic and cruising! Both are great! Agree with Paul, check the roll call for your particular cruise as well as checking the ports of call to see what each offers and tips on how to make the most of your stops.

In addition to your Roll Call, check out the main Royal Caribbean board under "Cruise Lines P-Z". Once you get to the RCI board, there's a new feature at the top of the page - a listing of each of the RCI ships. Click on the Jewel and it will bring up all posts that mention your ship. A few people have reported this feature not working with some browsers or with iPads, but it works great for me with Windows 8. If it doesn't work for you, you can still click on the "Search" button on the RCI board, type in "Jewel" and bring up the messages that way.

Hi,

I have just booked a cruise to North Cape aboard NCL leaving from Copenhagen on June 12, 2015. I have sailed with NCL in the past and hoping this will be a great trip. The itinerary looks fabulous. Any helpful suggestions on shore excursion would be appreciated.

Thanks

Svea

Puerto Rico is an amazing place to start.

1. Do NOT over pack, pack enough for every day, plus a couple extras and your formal night.

2. I would HIGHLY recommend flying in a day or two extra BEFORE the cruise, and picking a flight leaving either the day after your cruise or the evening. That way you are avoiding the rush to and from the ship.

2B. if you are flying in before, there are many affordable hotels within walking distance of the Pier. Research the area beforehand, there are many attractions close to the pier that are easily within walking distance Like the forts and the Don Q museum. As well as a Maritime Weapons museum. Also, try the mofongo, it is a local dish of savory (not sweet) plantains, meat of your choice, and vegetables, it is YUMMY! Don Q is better than Bacardi ;)

3. If your cruise line offers a bottomless bubbles or some sort of unlimited soda option, get it. If you have kids this can avoid a hefty charge at the end of the cruise.

4. Don't be afraid to talk to other cruisers. You never know what friends you can make!

5. Get to know your steward, Maitre'd, waiter, and the bartender at your favorite bar. They enjoy talking to their passengers and will strive to give you their best. I found I have a better time knowing them, and it is interesting learning about their home countries. You never know, if you book a cruise on the same ship you may see them again!

6. Sunscreen! Need I say more.

7. Wash your hands often, especially before eating. If there are hand sanitizer stations, utilize them, especially before eating.

8. Pack dremamine or some other motion sickness remedy, if you have not cruised you will not know if it affects you or not. Even the bigger ships can have an effect on you. Usually will be the worst in the first couple days.

9.Enjoy your cruise! Even experienced cruisers may encounter a hiccup or two, things happen!

Edited by Thompsolonian

Hi Ted,

Get some lightweight luggage as I assume you are flying. When your missus packs the cases :) get her to take half of it out, you won't need it.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I don't want to be on the Cruise with any visible marks/scars :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, my wife and I have, after much deliberation, booked our First Cruise.

We have decided on Royal Carribbean - Jewel of the Seas.

Leaving from Puerto Rico 2015.

Very excited and any info will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance. Ted.

My friend and I will be on the Jewel March 7-14 out of San Juan. When is you all's trip? I'm first timer too and can't wait. I've actually lived on this site for the last few months picking up all the info I can get. Go to Jewels Mix and Mingle roll call. You'll

not only meet people but learn a lot too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you everyone for your replies and great advice.

The only one I can see being a problem, is asking my wife to be careful with the packing, I shall ask whilst standing behind something solid :-).

I am reliably informed by 'er-indoors that most airline checked-luggage allowances are 35kg for ladies, 7kg for men.

Apparently this is because the ladies need a minimum of 3 pairs of shoes for each day.

JB :)

No way! I've waited way too many years and I'm way too exited!,

Well you were warned, don't blame me, when you spend every waking hour trying to sort out the next one and clipping coupons to save 50 cents to go towards paying for it.

You do know that it's more addictive than Heroin don't you???

At least it was for us and most people here at CC.

Well you were warned, don't blame me, when you spend every waking hour trying to sort out the next one and clipping coupons to save 50 cents to go towards paying for it.

You do know that it's more addictive than Heroin don't you???

At least it was for us and most people here at CC.

Well, I'm going to be brave and go anyway! However, I am sure you are right. Thanks for the words do advise though.

Well, I'm going to be brave and go anyway! However, I am sure you are right. Thanks for the words do advise though.

In all honesty though enjoy.

The best bit of advice I got was relax.

In all honesty though enjoy.

The best bit of advice I got was relax.

I definitely plan too once I settle down from all my excitement! :) Wish I could have done this when I was younger, but then you are never too old to try something new. Thanks again for your well wishes.

• 3 weeks later...

Ted

Make sure each person in your party has a good watch. And make sure it is set to ship time when your go off ship.

You do not want to be the star of photo's and movies taken from the top deck as the ship is sailing away and you are running down the pier waving your cruise card.

Bob