another money making racket

paddys dad

We booked our seats to Barbados on sat on the 2-4-2 configuration not so much that we sit together I'm certain you would be sat together if you just turn up at check in it's being seated in the 4section we don't like it's just to claustrophobic and when I had a look on Sunday nearly all the 2 seats have been booked but not one in the 4 sec so I'm very pleased we paid the extra to be happy for the next 9 weeks to know I won't be sat in those dreaded 4 seats .

We booked our seats to Barbados on sat on the 2-4-2 configuration not so much that we sit together I'm certain you would be sat together if you just turn up at check in it's being seated in the 4section we don't like it's just to claustrophobic and when I had a look on Sunday nearly all the 2 seats have been booked but not one in the 4 sec so I'm very pleased we paid the extra to be happy for the next 9 weeks to know I won't be sat in those dreaded 4 seats .

I agree the 2-4-2 is the best arrangement imo for those who do want to sit together - plenty of two's down the sides and although I take your point about being more claustrophobic in the middle, no one is more than one seat away from an aisle.

I think that's preferable to those planes with 3 seats by the window which mean if you have the window seat you have to ask two people to move to get out to the toilet or stretch your legs.

Our arrangement is 3-3-3 so for once we've elected to go for the middle set so that we can get out easily - if necessary it's only my OH I'll have to wake up especially on the overnight return leg!!!!! We've been on a 3-3-3 arrangement before and found 'sitting next to one another' as far as the airline is concerned includes 'across aisles' and 'sitting one behind the other' which, particularly in the latter case, is a bit of a stretch!

Edited by kruzseeka

So if most of the blocks of two have gone lets say that adds up to half the passengers roughly, 150 at £30 a pop. £4,500 thank you very much, and thats not a money racket according to some, what is it then.

Unless I am being unusually slow how can there really be a necessity for couples to have to book so they can sit together ? The 2-4-2 set up is in effect 4 lots of two seats. So there should be no reason to pre booked and pay extra to ensure your sit next to your partner.

If you turn up at the Airport and they are trying to make you sit apart, except in very rare circumstances, they are taking the p*** in my opinion.

Unless I am being unusually slow how can there really be a necessity for couples to have to book so they can sit together ? The 2-4-2 set up is in effect 4 lots of two seats. So there should be no reason to pre booked and pay extra to ensure your sit next to your partner.

If you turn up at the Airport and they are trying to make you sit apart, except in very rare circumstances, they are taking the p*** in my opinion.

Yes you are right, its all 2's as such on the 2-4-2 but you will always get the family of 3 leaving the odd seat here and there and with the flights usually full, some unlucky person will get it, unless the solos take them all.

Why do they charge?

Through the winter when P&O are flying about 3000 in and 3000 out of Barbados every week the revenue for 100% take up would be in excess of £1.5million.

That is the only reason we need to know

Really? No way! Genuinely shocked! There was me thinking they were doing out of the kindness of their hearts.

Even though they charter the plane I would suspect that as they are using the airlines software to manage the pre booking of seats there will be a percentage split from the pre booking revenues between P&O and the airline and not all of the revenue going into the P&O coffers.

We have just been on 4 flights with Air France and didn't pay a penny.

Pre-selected our long haul seats when we booked the tickets and the hop from BHX to CDG was done when we completed online check-in.

Having said this we did begrudingly pre-book our flights earlier this year with P&O and paid the supplement. I would not like to be stuck in the middle and our friends who did not pre-book ended up been sat behind each other right next to the toilet - that is the chance you take.

By the way does anyone have the flight details for the March 2015 flights to Barbados from Birmingham or Manchester please ?

I don't fly if I can help it, but are you being charged for booking seats direct with the airline or is it through P&O. If it's the latter then they are charging not the airline?

Our confirmation/invoice for booking seats has come from P&O not Thomson so I just assumed P&O are the beneficiary of the booking charges - but may be wrong. It looks like the majority of seats have been booked for our flight since the system went live on Saturday so there's some considerable income involved - and quite a lot of passengers who, like us, have bought into booking seats whether willingly or somewhat reluctantly (an element of emotional blackmail here if for whatever reason you wish to sit with your travelling companion for 8/9 hours and not a stranger).

Without this income stream though I guess there would simply be an increase in other costs to maintain their profit margins. :rolleyes:

Edited by kruzseeka

taking the p*** in my opinion.

Think you are trying to say "extracting the urine".

Just spoke with P&O on the subject of charter seats, and was informed that if a client did not want a charter

flight, then p&o can offer a scheduled flight at a nominal fee (say £40.00). This being with BA, Virgin, Emitates etc where one can get free drinks and select the seat without additional payment.

To me, the solution for those who fly charter and complain, should just switch to scheduled. Simples:D

Didn't realise there was that option. When we booked, we were just told the flight details - no alternative offered.

When booking P&O will state "The flights are with Thomson is that okay?", this your opportunity to say "I would really like a scheduled flight from (airport), can this be arranged?".

By saying "yes" to the P&O question to "is that okay" you have accepted the P&O charter flight, so there is no need for P&O to offer an alternative. ;)

When booking P&O will state "The flights are with Thomson is that okay?", this your opportunity to say "I would really like a scheduled flight from (airport), can this be arranged?".

By saying "yes" to the P&O question to "is that okay" you have accepted the P&O charter flight, so there is no need for P&O to offer an alternative. ;)

Thanks for that insight. I shall bear it in mind for future reference.

The problem, as far as I can see it with booking a scheduled flight to the Caribbean, is that you would have to go through customs going and would have to check in at an earlier time for the return journey instead of being led straight to the departure lounge.

Rick.

The problem, as far as I can see it with booking a scheduled flight to the Caribbean, is that you would have to go through customs going and would have to check in at an earlier time for the return journey instead of being led straight to the departure lounge.

Rick.

That's another good point too which is worth taking into account. The bonded luggage system is just so convenient though that's perhaps it's worth accepting the charter implications.

That's another good point too which is worth taking into account. The bonded luggage system is just so convenient though that's perhaps it's worth accepting the charter implications.

Its not really a big issue if your preference like ours is scheduled.

You pay more to fly Virgin, so you still pay, it's just a hidden cost.

You're absolutely spot on Spikey M. We all pay at some point. When flying Virgin/BA/Air France (whatever), the cost of choosing/pre-booking your seat is factored into the overall cost of the flight. Whether you choose to pre-book your seat or not, you have still 'paid' for the option. Same policy with complimentary beverages and snacks. On scheduled flights, you pay for them regardless of whether you take them or not.

What the charters do is offer you a menu of options. If you don't wish to pre-book your seats, then don't; it will keep your costs down. If you don't want a drink or a snack, then don't have any; again, it will keep your costs down. At that point, you, the passenger, are in control of your 'spend'.

Carriers know us very well; they know what percentage of passengers will want to pre-book seats, or have drinks or snacks; and then they offer the appropriate pricing options.

The main reason we have come back with P&O for our Caribbean cruise is the direct charter flight from our local airport and the ease of transition through Barbados airport on arrival (no luggage).

Same here.