Thinking of booking RC

NOSaints1

We were on the Valor last week, it was a great cruise, great service, good food in the MDR but the thing that was lacking was choice for foods outside the MDR, my DW says the lack of things to do during the day if you weren't getting off the ship to do an excursion. Don't get me wrong I like Carnival but I feel like I'm just getting bored. Anybody else have those thoughts about switching?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want to try an RCI , and we have done 11 Carnival and will soon do 7 RCI I would book a Voyager Class or Freedom Class ship that has the Royal Promenade . Not sure why but it just gives it that WOW factor again without going on one of those , Mega ships , which we have no desire to do. We love the AOS out of San Juan great itinerary , always a great price. Just one of our favorite cruises. Oh there are RCI people that will tell you to book the Radiance class but to me those ships are no different than any Carnival ship. Just a little different layout. Voyager they will have the ice show which is really cool and something you wont see on a Carnival ship the Royal Promenade will have parades and is great place to hang out to people watch or hit the pub or the sports bar or shop a little . Just my 2 cents worth.

We enjoy trying different cruise lines. We have enjoyed each one that we have been on. As you can see, we have tried three different lines so far and plan to try a few more. We have enjoyed every RC cruise and have another cruise booked for next year.

If you're interested, you might like to see my wife's slide shows. It will give you a good idea of what to expect.

The only way to know whether you will like a RC cruise, is to try it. Happy cruising. It's a great way to explore the world!

Edited by JimAOk1945

If you want to try an RCI , and we have done 11 Carnival and will soon do 7 RCI I would book a Voyager Class or Freedom Class ship that has the Royal Promenade . Not sure why but it just gives it that WOW factor again without going on one of those , Mega ships , which we have no desire to do. We love the AOS out of San Juan great itinerary , always a great price. Just one of our favorite cruises. Oh there are RCI people that will tell you to book the Radiance class but to me those ships are no different than any Carnival ship. Just a little different layout. Voyager they will have the ice show which is really cool and something you wont see on a Carnival ship the Royal Promenade will have parades and is great place to hang out to people watch or hit the pub or the sports bar or shop a little . Just my 2 cents worth.

That is our thought too. We are planning to try RCI again in Jan 2016 on the Brilliance.

The ice skating shows are fantastic. If you're interested is seeing what the ice skating show at Christmas is like, take a look at the slide show my wife put together with pictures she took for her website. She added background music so you may want to turn up your speakers to enjoy it while you watch it.

The link below will take you there.

Mariner of the Seas Christmas Ice Skating Show

Edited by JimAOk1945

This was our opinion too, except we were happy with our drinks. :cool: We were bummed that there was no family friendly comedy and to see comedy at all, you had to have a reservation WAY ahead of time. We also didn't like all the extra charges...pay for popcorn at the movie? Seriously?

We did however like that there was a lot more karaoke for various ages and the main shows were excellent. Our kids were fine with the rock climbing but once you've done it...none of mine were all that into the Wave Rider or the zip line...which is another one and done experience. They did really like the teen clubs though.

Where did they show movies at?

What ship were you on? We are on the Oasis next week.

TIA

Bill

Sent from Iphone 6 using Cruise Critic App

Having taken 30 cruises between Carnival and royal we will be trying princess in just 12 days. While royal is definitely a step above Carnival, they have abandoned the west coast so they are no longer an option. While we always have a good time on Carnival, it is getting old. The one area where it lacks the most is entertainment. No more bands on deck, no more musicians in the showroom, only canned music, silly passenger shows. Hopefully princess will be a step up.

Edited by joeyancho

Where did they show movies at?

What ship were you on? We are on the Oasis next week.

TIA

Bill

Sent from Iphone 6 using Cruise Critic App

There are no "movies at night" on the oasis. That was a big disappointment for us. There are stage shows you book ahead of time on a few nights of your cruise. But no movies.

Hopefully princess will be a step up.

We were VERY satisfied with our first Princess cruise 2 months ago. It was a nice "step up" without being overwhelming. Just the general ambiance, decor, little details (like cold towels as you re-board the ship after a long day sightseeing, personalized service, complimentary items that both Carnival and Royal charge for), and number of entertainers were all enough to make Princess one of our favorite cruise lines. It's definitely more sedated, and I would not choose it for a family cruise with my very young kids in tow (although we did see plenty of families onboard), but for an adult getaway, it was absolutely wonderful.

Feel free to click on my review with photos in my signature. :)

There are no "movies at night" on the oasis. That was a big disappointment for us. There are stage shows you book ahead of time on a few nights of your cruise. But no movies.

Yes i have my shows all booked. From what I am reading from many different posters and from looking at some compass' from the Allure i see that movies are shown.

I guess I'll find out for myself next week.:)

Bill

We are platinum cruisers and just took 2 RCL transatlantics this fall---the Liberty and the Oasis. I think we will stay with RCL for the near future. We are in our late 70s so the perspective might be different from yours. We found the dining room food better on Carnival in the past with more variety on the menus, tho I realize they are now cutting back too. We agree that the buffet was better on RCL as well as the other free eating choices. Oasis was spectacular in many ways, but I think Liberty was a prettier ship. The real deal maker for us is the entertainment which wowed us on both RCL ships. I also enjoyed the live music around the ship. RCL was a quieter ship experience which we enjoy too. I alternate between ship activities and reading on a balcony while dh mostly just reads. To us, the nightly entertainment quality is much more important the the food.

Yes i have my shows all booked. From what I am reading from many different posters and from looking at some compass' from the Allure i see that movies are shown.

I guess I'll find out for myself next week.:)

Bill

They played 2 movies during our cruise but they were before dinner time in their indoor theatre. They played Madagasar (the cartoon) and The Adventures of Tin Tin or something like that. Definitely geared towards children, and they took place usually when adults would be getting ready for dinner or eating dinner. But no nighttime movies. That's because their indoor theatre is used for the main shows during that time, and the Aqua theatre is used for their Aqua show during that time. Trust me, no nighttime movies.