Need suggestions on excursions - NCL Breakaway

sid1904

Hi,

We are a family of two adults and a 4 year old. We are taking the Breakway cruise going to Florida and Bahamas. In Florida the cruise will be at Orlando (Port Canaveral) for 8 hours and at Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau for day each.

I need some suggestions on what excursions can we consider at each of the port .

Orlando - the cruise docks at around 12 pm and we have to be back by 8pm so we only have 6-7 hours. we were considering going to sea world. do you think it is possible to cover sea world in 6-7 hours. does anyone know of any reliable transfer companies who can get us to and from sea world on time - the transfer options by ncl seem to be quite expensive?

Great Stirrup Cay - the cruise docks at around 10 am and we have to be back by 5pm. my wife and kid cant swim so are there any other excursions that don't require you to know swimming.

Nassau - the cruise docks at 8am and we have to be back by 5pm. does anyone have any suggestions on excursions that we can consider.

Thanks,

Sid.

Hi,

We are a family of two adults and a 4 year old. We are taking the Breakway cruise going to Florida and Bahamas. In Florida the cruise will be at Orlando (Port Canaveral) for 8 hours and at Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau for day each.

I need some suggestions on what excursions can we consider at each of the port .

Orlando - the cruise docks at around 12 pm and we have to be back by 8pm so we only have 6-7 hours. we were considering going to sea world. do you think it is possible to cover sea world in 6-7 hours. does anyone know of any reliable transfer companies who can get us to and from sea world on time - the transfer options by ncl seem to be quite expensive?

Great Stirrup Cay - the cruise docks at around 10 am and we have to be back by 5pm. my wife and kid cant swim so are there any other excursions that don't require you to know swimming.

Nassau - the cruise docks at 8am and we have to be back by 5pm. does anyone have any suggestions on excursions that we can consider.

Thanks,

Sid.

I highly recommend Atlantis for the Nassau (I've stayed at the resort twice). The Aquariums are great. NOt sure if your daughter is too young for the water park (I know there is a young kids section), but that is great as well.

Edited by shapatack0

Hi,

Thanks,

Sid.

Atlantis is nice but pricey. Here is a tour with a underwater boat (you go down stairs to window below the water). Great Stirrup has a giant water slide and open beach (snorkel gear available $). Orlando, if you've never been to Disney, Magic Kingdom (must).

Under Sea Explorer

I can't imagine trying to do any of the Orlando parks in six hours or less. Kennedy Space Center, maybe.

Never been to Atlantis, but I wonder whether a water park is for non-swimmers. One of the island tours or a private taxi tour might work in Nassau.

Great Stirrup Cay is pretty much just a beach day for us.

I can't imagine trying to do any of the Orlando parks in six hours or less. Kennedy Space Center, maybe.

Never been to Atlantis, but I wonder whether a water park is for non-swimmers. One of the island tours or a private taxi tour might work in Nassau.

Great Stirrup Cay is pretty much just a beach day for us.

NCL offers excursions to Disney. http://www.ncl.com/excursions/search?Ntt=Disney

Trying to get to SeaWorld would be a waste of money. You would spend 1 hr minimum in transit each way. Sea world is not cheap and none of the Orlando parks offer half day admissions. Kennedy space center would be my first pick although your son is young. Also the Brevard County Zoo is quite nice, small but very good for kids.

You would need to have a rental car and check hours open.

Edited by knbcruisers

We've been to these ports twice now with our boys, when they have been 3&5 yrs. here are my suggestions:

1. I'd never consider Disney from a ship, it takes over an hour to get to the parks, leaving you very little time in the middle of the day to try and do things. We loved Kennedy Space Centre, lots of child-friendly exhibits and things to do. We took the ship excursion to use up obc, but you could do it with a rental car too. The ship excursion allows you to stay past closing, extending the short time you have to explore the area. Otherwise Cocoa beach is a nice place to hang out, the water is very shallow and child/non-swimmer friendly. My boys also enjoyed the big aquarium at the surf shop across from Ron Jon's surf shop, we happened to be there on feeding day and it was a nice (free) event.

2. Nassau has a ton of things to do, look at ncl's excursions for ideas, then plan something on your own. First visit we did a dolphin encounter at blue lagoon, non-swimmer friendly and definitely memorable! We have also done the walking tour (google free walking tour of Nassau for a map) and walked to Fort Charlotte. Or you could stay on the ship like half the other passengers...we've done that too lol!

3. Great Stirrup Cay is a big beach, so if you don't want to go to the beach, stay on the ship. There are lots of child/non-swimmer friendly areas to play, build sand castles, or participate in the activities organized by staff on the island.

The advantage you have is if you don't like any of the options on shore, breakaway will keep you busy all week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

Thanks,

Sid.

Regarding GSC, you don't actually dock there, you tender. There is a chance you won't go if seas are too rough to tender.

KSC is a great option - the excursion through the ship reportedly lets you stay at KSC an extra hour to see an IMAX film.

Yes. So?

Close to $200 a head for five hours or so in a park? That was what I can't imagine . . .

We have imagined it and done it quite a few times now from a variety of ships departing from NYC, Baltimore and Cape Liberty. It has worked quite well each time.

Last time was from RCCL's Explorer. We took Royal's excursion, as did about 200 other families, including the Captain's wife and their three small daughters.

If you plan ahead, you can do much in the time allotted.