Cell phones in the Caribbean

pepsi girl

I have been able to make a call in Freeport & St. Thomas but not through the ship's tower as we were in port. I was charged for international roaming. However when we get on the ship, I turn my phone off and put it away. I leave a message saying I cannot get their call until day we get back but to leave message and I'll call them then.

However, the ships now have towers but the cost is high even for 800 numbers so its not worth it and we're on vacation! Leave the ship's name with someone and they will be able to contact you in an emergency. (On one cruise a passenger's son died the 1st day. She was contacted by her friend and left the ship.)

No need for the cell phone. Give the ship's number to a relative to reach you in case of emergency. Chances are 99.999% there will be no reason to call you while you are gone.

Otherwise follow Flatbush's advice.

Maybe I could buy a new phone, but I would NEVER switch to Coke. :)

Then hopefully you will be sailing on NCL. Otherwise, you planned to stop at the market on your way to the pier.

With regards to the phone, it will work, will just cost a small fortune to use.

Then hopefully you will be sailing on NCL. Otherwise, you planned to stop at the market on your way to the pier.

This is not true. Not all phones are capable of working in all cell signals. My husband's Droid was not usable in Europe.

My experiences are with ATT.

USVI islands and Puerto Rico are part of our domestic cell plan. There is an international plan that covers the rest of the Caribbean.

Data usage is it's own plan. Make sure your data is off or you're connected to a wifi network. Non-plan international data rates are outrageously expensive.

What cruise line? Different lines have different deals.

IIRC RCI has a special deal with ATT.

Carnival in-cabin phone rates are $2/minute, comparable to the ATT phone plan.

As far as equipment goes-- a Quad Band phone will get you thru most of the world, I think Japan is on something completely different.

Either go without, find wifi hotspots for internet, rent a phone or buy an used phone.

Many places rent phones, do a web search.

Before buying a used phone, contact your carrier about plans and usage.

Edited by SadieN

I have been able to make a call in Freeport & St. Thomas but not through the ship's tower as we were in port. I was charged for international roaming. However when we get on the ship, I turn my phone off and put it away. I leave a message saying I cannot get their call until day we get back but to leave message and I'll call them then.

However, the ships now have towers but the cost is high even for 800 numbers so its not worth it and we're on vacation! Leave the ship's name with someone and they will be able to contact you in an emergency. (On one cruise a passenger's son died the 1st day. She was contacted by her friend and left the ship.)

With all the crazy unsolicited calls one gets, not sure saying "Hey I'm not home for the next week --" is a real good thing to do... but each to their own.

This is my business phone and I just say the business is closed until whenever. I don't say I am away, just the business is closed. On our home phone I say nothing, just let them leave a message and apologize when I do call them back.

Where we live on the NC coast, we only lock our house if we're going away and I leave the keys in my car always!

Edited by Bonnie J.

Thanks for that "heads-up". Yes, I do plan to buy my Pepsi on shore. However, are you telling me only Norwegian CL serves pepsi on board? :confused: I'm going on HAL - what do they have on board?

This is not true. Not all phones are capable of working in all cell signals. My husband's Droid was not usable in Europe.

Ducklite - I loved your list of clothing to pack for warm weather. I'm cruising the Caribbean soon, and go to sleep at night trying to figure out what to bring with me. :)

My experiences are with ATT.

USVI islands and Puerto Rico are part of our domestic cell plan. There is an international plan that covers the rest of the Caribbean.

Data usage is it's own plan. Make sure your data is off or you're connected to a wifi network. Non-plan international data rates are outrageously expensive.

What cruise line? Different lines have different deals.

IIRC RCI has a special deal with ATT.

Carnival in-cabin phone rates are $2/minute, comparable to the ATT phone plan.

As far as equipment goes-- a Quad Band phone will get you thru most of the world, I think Japan is on something completely different.

Either go without, find wifi hotspots for internet, rent a phone or buy an used phone.

Many places rent phones, do a web search.

Before buying a used phone, contact your carrier about plans and usage.

Sadie - Thanks for all your help. I can easily go without a phone, but I actually thought this would a good time to have a cell phone. Are you saying that my cell phone might actually work in USVI and Puerto Rico? I have a trac phone. I'm going on a HAL cruise to the Caribbean.

I could go for a used phone. Is this something I could buy on Ebay, or is this something I would buy in the Caribbean?

Confirm that TracPhone will work on San Juan and St Thomas.

I've bought used cell phones at local, independent wireless stores, both also did repairs.

You'd also need to get some sort of service.

Or, if you just want to access the internet via wifi you could use any wifi enabled device. Does your TracPhone connect to the internet? Thru wifi? If so, you could use that.

(Many places offer free wifi with purchase of a drink or meal.)