Mitsugirly's extensive back to belly sun & sky review

mitsugirly

So the moment you've all been waiting for....the SHIP TOUR!!!

We will start with the lowest deck (that has things other than rooms of course).

DECK 5

2012_Sun_Deck_05_Atlantic_04252014-XL.png

This is the Atrium area. The credit desk and reception (you will also find the excursion desk here as well).

PB150095%20copy-L.jpg

The atrium is just like I like ALL ships to be...huge, beautiful and stories tall with the glass elevators. This is what they looked like when I started cruising back in the 80's and it's just something I think all ships should have. It give it that WOW factor when you walk on board (unlike the newer ships like Epic, Getaway and even the Jewel class ships with only 2 stories tall. They just don't "do it" for me).

PB090321%20copy-L.jpg

PB150090%20copy-L.jpg

PB090322%20copy-L.jpg

They had 4 glass elevators-2 on each side, which I thought was really nice. I have only been on ships that had the glass elevators on just 1 side.

PB090320%20copy-L.jpg

PB150092%20copy-L.jpg

PB150091%20copy-L.jpg

The decor under the steps wasn't much to write home about and I have seen a lot better.

PB150093%20copy-L.jpg

PB150094%20copy-L.jpg

Riding the elevators up to the top.

PB090178-2%20copy-L.jpg

They also had one of the newer screens in the lobby that you could see what was going on during the day and had the dailies listed on it.

PB090325%20copy-L.jpg

This is the atrium Cafe Bar. This was a Java Cafe that you could purchase lattes, specialty coffees, teas, and pastries and cookies from Carlos Bakery.

PB150089%20copy-L.jpg

PB090327%20copy-L.jpg

In the atrium on sail away day, they also had a desk set up right in front of this that you could purchase your soda packages and drink packages for the week.

Four Seasons Main Dining Room is up next and is their complimentary dining that is free of charge. It's located in the middle of the ship right by the atrium.

PB090098%20copy-L.jpg

PB090097%20copy-L.jpg

PB100428%20copy-L.jpg

In the entrance, they had a large replica ship of the Sun. I believe I have seen this on one other ship before, but I can't remember which one. The only thing I didn't like about this is that it didn't have the hull art on it. :(

PB100442%20copy-L.jpg

PB100443%20copy-L.jpg

See all those available chairs? There's no chair hogging on this ship!

PB100444%20copy-L.jpg

PB100445%20copy-L.jpg

Our experience in this MDR was good. We didn't experience any lines waiting to get in, get seated, or even with the service. I have grown accustomed to waiting forever for a meal or service on the other ships and this was a pleasant experience and surprise this time around.

La Cucina (which was formally called Adagio on this ship) is one of their specialty restaurants for an added charge. It is an Italian restaurant and they charge $15 per person. It accomodates 74 people.

We have eaten here several times on the other ships. I have to say that I usually enjoy the experience and the surroundings on the other ships more than I do the actual food. (I don't really like red sauce, so always get the alfredo). So since we have done this dining venue several times, we did not go this time around. However this is where they took us for the VIP status on the first day for our lunch, so we were able to dine there and that was enough for me.

The area also was accessed on the 5th floor, but you entered an area and walked down the steps to the next floor for the dining. (It was like this on the Sky as well). You would almost miss it if you wasn't looking for it. It reminded me of walking into a stairwell of a building.

PB090111%20copy-L.jpg

PB090112%20copy-L.jpg

PB090101%20copy-L.jpg

PB090099%20copy-L.jpg

PB090100%20copy-L.jpg

PB090102%20copy-L.jpg

At the back (aft) of the ship is the Seven Seas Main Dining Room. It's almost the same as Four Seasons with just a few minor changes in decor....and well...it's located on the aft of the ship. This is a free of charge dining area and holds 526 guest.

What's nice about this area is the entrance, or the Seven Seas "Courtyard". It's like its own little atrium there and several stories tall with nice decor. They also used this area, since it was so huge, to set up props and backdrops to take pictures with the photographer in the evenings.

PB090124%20copy-L.jpg

PB090123%20copy-L.jpg

PB090125%20copy-L.jpg

PB090126%20copy-L.jpg

PB090127%20copy-L.jpg

PB090128%20copy-L.jpg

PB150401%20copy-L.jpg

PB150402%20copy-L.jpg

PB150403%20copy-L.jpg

PB150404%20copy-L.jpg

PB150405%20copy-L.jpg

There were also a set of restrooms, located under the stairs, for this restaurant.

The elevators located at the back here, had several elevators, but here's a tip.... When you pushed the button to go up, there was an elevator on the end that you would have to push a separate button if you wanted to use it. I got use to going between those 2 elevators and just pushing both buttons to see which one would win and arrive first. LOL But this held true for every floor and this elevator. If you wanted to use it, you had to push that button separate than the others.

I believe it was the only elevator that went all the way to the 3rd floor as well. The other elevators only went to the 5th floor??? Correct me if I'm wrong. (I mean after all, this was 2 cruises ago hehe). I just know there was something different about it and if you look at the pictures, you will also see that it has a down button where the others don't.

PB150406%20copy-L.jpg

Completing Deck 5 will be one odd-ball picture that I'm throwing in of the entrance to the ship while we were still in port. It was almost time for the sail-away and I didn't see anyone running down it almost missing the ship. I guess that was a good thing. :D

PB090293%20copy-L.jpg

So glad to see you are still here and doing reviews. I've been off the site for about two years( consumed with buying a new house that we decided was too big for us, so we're selling again to go into a condo, and writing two books so we can afford to cruise again). Your reviews are always spot on. Thanks

Dr Bill( DrFootball)

CWO-4 US Army Aviation Ret./Med.

Edited by DrFootball

As I mentioned earlier, when I was on the Sun, we had 4 ladies in the same type of inside room that you had. Your shower description is right on and made me laugh. My sister and I are big women, so we used the locker room showers.

Mom and my sister were in the twin beds with them pushed together. That left more room in between the sofa and the bed. I slept on the fold out sofa, and my sister's DIL slept in the upper bunk.

The space in front of the closet is bigger than most inside cabins, so we appreciated that. The location of the vanity made it easy to get around the cabin.

Our room was on deck 4 a few cabins away from the only aft elevator that goes down to deck 4 which is exactly as you described. I'm impressed with your memory. Mom rode the elevator and the three of us walked up the one flight of stairs.

Thank you for posting so many great photos. They bring back special memories.

Is the card room still in the same place? There was a door that led out to the promenade deck. DIL would step out there to smoke in between hands.

Edited by Susie51

I decided to hop in the shower and check it out. OMG! That has to be the smallest shower I have ever seen in my entire life! AND it has a shower curtain...YIKES!!! There was absolutely NO room in that shower AT ALL. When you turn the shower on and close the curtain, the curtain draws itself in and sticks to you. I felt like I was being attacked and spent a majority of my time doing various karate moves toward the curtain to keep it off of me. It was the worse shower ever. Yes, even worse than the hotel shower.

PB090261%20copy-L.jpg

Also the water BEATS down on you...HARD!!! I did learn to pull the handle back a little to make it less harder but man!

I feel for you--I hated the tiny round shower and the friendly shower curtain. I have read on CC that if you leave the door open the curtain won't "meet and greet" you. But you should see the showers on the minis and above--they are beautiful and large! I don't think I would sail again on the Sun with a balcony or below because of the shower.

Did you try to rotate the ring around the shower head? That ring changes the flow from hard to a nice "summer" shower.

I think you missed your calling as a photographer. Thanks again for taking the time to write the review and post the pictures.!:)

It's funny you say that because when I first applied to my local college, I applied for photography. I started doing pictures for family and friends and had a few bad experiences (meaning people that would not show up or cancel) and got tired of it and decided it wasn't a "stable" enough job for me. So, that's when I decided to go into nursing (which was the obvious choice to begin with since I had worked at the hospital since right out of high school). I still like to do photography and would like to get back into it. With my hectic work schedule and schooling over the years, I have neglected my true love for the hobby. I plan on getting back into it. Sakari hasn't had her pictures done by me for about 2 years now and I keep scolding myself for it. :o

So glad to see you are still here and doing reviews. I've been off the site for about two years( consumed with buying a new house that we decided was too big for us, so we're selling again to go into a condo, and writing two books so we can afford to cruise again). Your reviews are always spot on. Thanks

Dr Bill( DrFootball)

CWO-4 US Army Aviation Ret./Med.

Yep still here and still hooked on cruising and reviews. :D

I wish you well with your home sale and finding the right fit for you and your family. (I also use to be in Real Estate and went to college for that, so I know how tough it can be in this economy these days). :)

Yay! Loving the review so far!!

As far as the ship goes, I'm a little disturbed by the bathroom! Looks so...hospital-ish? That shower curtain thing would have driven me nuts!!:D

Yea, it's the smallest thing ever. I can guarantee that my hospital has bathrooms at least 3-4 times the size of those and much nicer...even in the older portion of the hospital. But I agree, it's not a very "welcome" feeling to walk in to it. (I also think I was spoiled by our mini-suite balcony room with the huge bathroom on our last cruise on the Getaway. :eek:

Bring some heavy clothespins or those plastic thingies we use to close a bag of chips. Put them all at the bottom of the shower curtain. The weight helps it 'stay put'.

Harriet

The shower curtains actually had the magnets at the bottom, but the sides and middle section still managed to come in no matter what you tried. I hope I never have to experience it again. :p

As I mentioned earlier, when I was on the Sun, we had 4 ladies in the same type of inside room that you had. Your shower description is right on and made me laugh. My sister and I are big women, so we used the locker room showers.

Mom and my sister were in the twin beds with them pushed together. That left more room in between the sofa and the bed. I slept on the fold out sofa, and my sister's DIL slept in the upper bunk.

The space in front of the closet is bigger than most inside cabins, so we appreciated that. The location of the vanity made it easy to get around the cabin.

Our room was on deck 4 a few cabins away from the only aft elevator that goes down to deck 4 which is exactly as you described. I'm impressed with your memory. Mom rode the elevator and the three of us walked up the one flight of stairs.

Thank you for posting so many great photos. They bring back special memories.

Is the card room still in the same place? There was a door that led out to the promenade deck. DIL would step out there to smoke in between hands.

I can't even imagine putting 4 grown women in one of those rooms, but then again, I don't think that there was an upper bunk above our sofa. I believe we booked a 3 person room though. I recall my oldest daughter asking to tag along (since the 3rd and up person was free) and when I checked it would only allow 3 people.

Hmm, I don't recall seeing a card room there at all. What deck would that be? I know that you could only go out for smoking on the 11th deck and right inside of that was the fitness room. So, my guess would be no.

I feel for you--I hated the tiny round shower and the friendly shower curtain. I have read on CC that if you leave the door open the curtain won't "meet and greet" you. But you should see the showers on the minis and above--they are beautiful and large! I don't think I would sail again on the Sun with a balcony or below because of the shower.

Did you try to rotate the ring around the shower head? That ring changes the flow from hard to a nice "summer" shower.

Yep on both of these issues...I would later find this out during the week. (You're spoiling my story :p)

So you are saying that the balcony showers are the same? Yikes! This ship is very obvious that it was built for little Asian ladies. (Not saying that in a rude or disrespectful way, just that they are very tiny). :)

So up one floor to Deck 6 now.

Sun_06-6A_Deck_460_R-XL.png

We will start in the Atrium area again.

From the 6th floor looking down and up:

PB090270%20copy-L.jpg

Want to burn off some of those calories from all the food you eat? Try taking these lovely stairs instead of the glass elevators.

PB090279%20copy-L.jpg

Now I'm not 100% sure if the following was located on this deck or deck 8, but I'm including it here...just because I can.

PB120047%20%283%29%20copy-L.jpg

PB090280-2%20copy-L.jpg

PB090281%20copy-L.jpg

They also had a wall of awards and such...

PB120046%20%283%29%20copy-L.jpg

Now I did find it interesting that they had a few steps to go up and down toward the elevators. I believe it was like this on both deck 7 & 8. If you were in a wheelchair, I'm pretty sure if you went around to either side, there wasn't any steps for access back and forth.

PB150084%20copy-L.jpg

I can tell you these steps caught me a little of guard the first few days. I don't recall any of the others ships having anything like this and can't imagine why they decided to do this on this ship.

I do a lot of "walking and snapping" pictures, so some do end up less than better quality with some blur. I especially do this on places that I have no interest in investigating a lot of times. Sorry about some of the pictures.

This would be one of my walk and snap pictures. It's the photo studio located within the atrium/elevator area on deck 6. They are called "Perspectives Studio"

PB090269%20copy-L.jpg

Now that I'm looking at the "blue prints" online, I see that on the opposite side of this, in the atrium, is a play called the "Lifestyle" area. It says it has boards games and such. This must be what another poster was referring to. I really don't remember seeing anything there. Maybe I just missed it (well, obviously I missed it).

Located on both sides of this open, deck 6, atrium area is the Internet Cafe.

PB090271%20copy-L.jpg

PB150368%20copy-L.jpg

Here are the plans available on this cruise.

PB090272%20copy-L.jpg

I will talk later about these Internet plans and answer any questions you may have on it (that I can). We DID end up purchasing a plan and using it and I know that it is talked about on here all the time with people wanting to know how it worked and especially about the SPEED. I will have all your info soon with screen shots of the internet.

Hmm, I don't recall seeing a card room there at all. What deck would that be? I know that you could only go out for smoking on the 11th deck and right inside of that was the fitness room. So, my guess would be no.

According to NCL website when looking at the deck plans for the Sun their card room is called: Lifestyles Room and is located on Deck 6 in front of the Port forward elevators and across from the photo studio.

But.....sometimes NCL doesn't update their deck plans when the ship goes into dry dock and I have no idea when each occurred.

Harriet