New technology implemented on Ruby last week

californiagirl

I'm not sure if this had been posted yet. Late in our cruise last week, either Thurs. or Fri. new technology was implemented. Using my Ipad I could check my onboard account and various other things. You didn't have to buy the internet plan to use it. Using your device when you clicked on WiFi you were prompted to set up an account different from the internet login. This provided a menu of options including check onboard account. It was up to the minute accurate. Another option was internet, this link took you to the login for the internet. So to get to the internet, you needed to login twice.

I did not take the time to play with it as it was near the end of the cruise. I'm not sure if booking shore excursions was one of the links. Anyway just being able to check my onboard account without waiting in the long line at the purser's desk was wonderful.

I'm not sure if this had been posted yet. Late in our cruise last week, either Thurs. or Fri. new technology was implemented. Using my Ipad I could check my onboard account and various other things. You didn't have to buy the internet plan to use it. Using your device when you clicked on WiFi you were prompted to set up an account different from the internet login. This provided a menu of options including check onboard account. It was up to the minute accurate. Another option was internet, this link took you to the login for the internet. So to get to the internet, you needed to login twice.

I did not take the time to play with it as it was near the end of the cruise. I'm not sure if booking shore excursions was one of the links. Anyway just being able to check my onboard account without waiting in the long line at the purser's desk was wonderful.

you don,t need to stand in line at pursers desk were the self serve kiosks not working to check it by swiping our card

Although this is great news, there isn't any reason to stand in line at the PSD to check your account. Those little kiosks print out your up to date statement with the swipe of your card with no wait at all!

BTW, we missed this by a week, as we were on the Ruby the week before.

Once fully activated and operational the intranet will also allow an instant messaging service to other wireless devices on the ship...going to be great.

Saw the first version on Royal and it was good, but not great, hoping that over time the actual web design improves. All considered, a great step forward.

Although this is great news, there isn't any reason to stand in line at the PSD to check your account. Those little kiosks print out your up to date statement with the swipe of your card with no wait at all!

When they haven't crashed, or run out of paper.

When I was on Ruby, no more than one was working at any one time.

Just off yesterday. You go to settings, then under 'wifi', select 'name of ship'.

Once you get a signal, you can type in the address bar 'princess@sea'

It contains the Princess Patter with daily/hourly updates. It also alows you to see your account-almost instantaneously! I ordered a drink at the IC bar, and it was registered on my account immediately. A good way to ensure charges are accurate.

No messaging access yet.

There is a link to the internet where you can purchase a pkg or keep track of your usage.

Very convenient.

Charges don't always make it to your account instantaneously. On our last cruise, I did not see an erroneous charge from Thursday night until Saturday morning when I got my final statement delivered to my cabin. The charge wasn't on my printout Friday afternoon. I usually check my account at least three times during a cruise--on the first or second day to make sure our onboard credits are showing up, during mid-week, and on the last full day.

Had it on the Caribbean Princess Oct 27, 2014 and following voyages.

Did not have it on the Star Princess Nov 14-24,2014. Maybe she will get it when in the 10 day dry dock Dec. 9-19, 2014.

I wonder how much of the already limited bandwidth will be hogged up by this new service? I realize it's not passing data to the satellite, but it's using the available wi-fi on board.

Edited by bdjam

When they haven't crashed, or run out of paper.

When I was on Ruby, no more than one was working at any one time.

Right. On our 10/22 voyage neither worked the first two days and then only one for the remainder of the voyage.

Mike:)

I wonder how much of the already limited bandwidth will be hogged up by this new service? I realize it's not passing data to the satellite, but it's using the available wi-fi on board.

The new service serves up just HTML pages, so wi-fi bandwidth shouldn't be a problem. Multiple 54 mbps wi-fi hotspots linked to the ship's servers by gigabit ethernet is a very fast system. The limited bandwidth of which you speak is really only limited to the satellite link. The system was quite quick on Golden Princess a couple of weeks ago. :)