Ocean Princess Sold

landnsea

I am with you Don. Had an ok cruise on the Star but a great cruise on Pacific Princess. We are not long timers with Princess but as our upper limit for passengers is around 2,000, we will be moving on as well. HAL still has a number of sub 2,000 passenger ships and, as has been noted above, Azamara, Oceania are good choices. Sorry to see the ever bloating of cruise ships continue at Princess as they did provide us a good product on the smaller ships.

The Coral and the Island are two Princess ships that would meet your needs.:)

That doesn't sound out of line with numbers I have heard tossed around. The smaller ships simply need a higher price point to offset lower passenger volume and attendant spending, and its hard to do that in the same booking system as a moderate. Remember that the vast majority of cruisers are NOT cc members and will go.. Hmm, the Royal is $300 per night but the Ocean is $550 for a smaller cabin and less amenities.

Sure doing a niche line is possible, but it makes far more business sense to sell the ships to a buyer that already has similar classes of ship and can gain economies of scale plus command that price point, while freeing up cash and resources for other projects that fit more with the overall plan.

The OP carries about what? 700 pax per day or about 25K pax per year. Drop in the bucket for a line that carries 40K+ pax per day now?

A couple of years ago, we were told by a CD that Princess made about one million UD$ per month with the Ocean and Pacific. They made five million US$ per week with the big ships.

I have said this many times. Princess could have kept the Ocean and along with

the Pacific and Sun could have developed a niche line. They already owned the ships so

if they put another 30 or 40 million they would have a good deal. Obviously Oceana

can make money with the small ships. Princess has the large cruise line backing to make

it work. It sure is cheaper than a new build.

Greg

Maybe so, but with the new-found cooperation between Carnival brands, that sort of niche will have to be filled by HAL and Seabourn. I don't think Carnival would have allowed your idea (and, I guess, obviously not). :)

If Princess sells off all their smaller ships, that is the end of my cruising on Princess. I hate the larger ships. DON

We were booked on Ocean Princess for April next year (Singapore to Dover, 62 days). Were considering booking (while on board) the 2016 Grand South America cruise (62 days), also on Ocean. We like these ships, having been on Oceania’s Nautica, and Pacific Princess. When we heard that Ocean was to be sold, and Princess was focussing on larger ships, we started looking around. This year we were on Diamond Princess (in Japan), Queen Mary 2 and Windstar. The first two were just too large for us, and we did not like the fact that there was only traditional dining on offer, as is the case with Ocean and Pacific Princesses also. And this is maybe shallow...but I hate the new bathroom amenities in dispensers. :D I think they are unhygienic and tacky....

Ended up cancelling the Ocean Princess cruise and booking cruises on Oceania’s R ships for 2015 (20 days) and 2016 (71 days). All these ships have been recently refurbished. Look forward to seeing what they will do with Ocean Princess. We have 118 days on Princess so are getting closer to elite...but will we get there? May cruise with Princess again (have FCCs) – but not keen on the larger ships - and have only so much money and time at our disposal ….

The Coral and the Island are two Princess ships that would meet your needs.:)

I understand more cabins are being added to these ships at the expense of public space. They'll be more crowded once the changes are complete.

I think it is possible the Sun class will likely provide the best amount of public space per passenger once the modifications to the Coral and Island are complete.

• 3 months later...
Never had a chance to sail on her, but it is sad to see the smaller ships leaving the line. They did provide some alternatives to the new mega-ships.

Try Holland-America's Prinsendam (before they sell her, too)--same size as the R-class ships but more elegant.:)

• 1 month later...

We have grabbed one of the last balcony or mini-suite cabins for this ship's last Caribbean cruise (20 December/3 January). My last trip on a similar vessel was through the Panama Canal. Perhaps with the widening of the canal, other ships will be now available? Not surprised that larger ships generate more money and obviously offer flexibility for family and group travel.

Our winter travels so far are just for relaxation and obviously those from northern climes are escaping snow and ice, so leisurely island days, balcony star-gazing, and pleasant meals will be just fine. We are very happy with the larger Princess and HAL ships when planning family travels, as multiple adjacent balcony cabins can be selected and the kids have both separate activities and the balcony provides private access to family members.

Have seen what has happened to the Island Princess. If you want to cruise into Venice, this is the largest ship that now will be allowed to sail into the harbor and the balcony cabins that have been added most certainly change the character of the ship and make areas such as the gym much less appealing!

It will be interesting to see how NCL handles these new cruise lines: will they "spoil" them, or will they do as Carnival has, and leave corporate management separate? I personally will not sail on a Carnival ship ever again, but enjoy Princess and HAL. I am afraid that NCL "Freestyle" meets the standards of most Carnival "fun ships"?

Will have to check now on how active Cruise Critic will be on this last 14-night cruise.

DJ:)

We have grabbed one of the last balcony or mini-suite cabins for this ship's last Caribbean cruise (20 December/3 January). My last trip on a similar vessel was through the Panama Canal. Perhaps with the widening of the canal, other ships will be now available? Not surprised that larger ships generate more money and obviously offer flexibility for family and group travel.

Our winter travels so far are just for relaxation and obviously those from northern climes are escaping snow and ice, so leisurely island days, balcony star-gazing, and pleasant meals will be just fine. We are very happy with the larger Princess and HAL ships when planning family travels, as multiple adjacent balcony cabins can be selected and the kids have both separate activities and the balcony provides private access to family members.

Have seen what has happened to the Island Princess. If you want to cruise into Venice, this is the largest ship that now will be allowed to sail into the harbor and the balcony cabins that have been added most certainly change the character of the ship and make areas such as the gym much less appealing!

It will be interesting to see how NCL handles these new cruise lines: will they "spoil" them, or will they do as Carnival has, and leave corporate management separate? I personally will not sail on a Carnival ship ever again, but enjoy Princess and HAL. I am afraid that NCL "Freestyle" meets the standards of most Carnival "fun ships"?

Will have to check now on how active Cruise Critic will be on this last 14-night cruise.

DJ:)

The widening of the Panama Canal prompted changes in the fleet. Coral and Island cabin numbers are being enlarged and they will sail Venice eventually. Venice keeps changing its mind on how big a ship can come in but Princess is getting ready. I believe Island sails Venice this summer but may be back in Alaska next year.

Oceania is really growing and Sirena will be the fourth R ship. They are investing hugely to bring it up to snuff.

Two of our favorite ships were redeployed, Diamond and Sapphire. We also love Coral and Island, we get one more ride on the Coral soon.

HAL is transferring Ryndam and Statendam to P&O. Some say they could not find a buyer. It is reported all the small R and S class ships are for sale. CC people have posted links to the for sale ads. The new Konsingham will carry 2500 plus, I forget the exact number. Supposedly a twin sister will come in a couple more years to replace a couple more little ships.

I don't mind big ships per se depending on the space per passenger.

Edited by sammiedawg

>Not surprised to see Oceania as the buyer, as they already have several of the former Renaissance R-class ships in their fleet. <

Frank Del Rio, now the CEO of NCL, was one of the founders of Renaissance.

Before the buyout by NCL, he was CEO of Oceania.

I think that he wants to put his fleet back together.

Ira

Hi YG,

> it is sad to see the smaller ships leaving the line. They did provide some alternatives to the new mega-ships.

You might want to check out Oceania. They compare quite well with Princess.

Ira

>Not surprised to see Oceania as the buyer, as they already have several of the former Renaissance R-class ships in their fleet. <

Frank Del Rio, now the CEO of NCL, was one of the founders of Renaissance.

Before the buyout by NCL, he was CEO of Oceania.

I think that he wants to put his fleet back together.

Ira

Frank Del Rio is a slick operator in my opinion. CEO of Renaissance when it went bankrupt and left crew and passengers stranded around the world. Starts Oceana after selling many of the R class ships. How is this allowed to happen?

Frank Del Rio is a slick operator in my opinion. CEO of Renaissance when it went bankrupt and left crew and passengers stranded around the world. Starts Oceana after selling many of the R class ships. How is this allowed to happen?

It can be a brutal business. :(