Luggage Locks

jak378

I am sure that Princess reserves the right to inspect luggage. I assume that it is similar at least to TSA inspections wherein they x-ray the bags and if something suspicious is found they open and inspect visually. In order to avoid destruction of the locks on luggage it is necessary to use TSA approved locks, which they can open and it is obvious that the locks have been opened when the suitcase is retrieved. I have never seen anything from Princess requiring TSA approved locks that can be opened. If they see something suspicious do they destroy the lock to open the suitcase? If not what do they do?

I am sure that Princess reserves the right to inspect luggage. I assume that it is similar at least to TSA inspections wherein they x-ray the bags and if something suspicious is found they open and inspect visually. In order to avoid destruction of the locks on luggage it is necessary to use TSA approved locks, which they can open and it is obvious that the locks have been opened when the suitcase is retrieved. I have never seen anything from Princess requiring TSA approved locks that can be opened. If they see something suspicious do they destroy the lock to open the suitcase? If not what do they do?

I don't believe that Princess or any other cruise line has the authority to open any luggage, in the absence of the owner!!! :eek:

Cato :)

Edited by Donna’s Mom & Dad

There is no LAW that says you must use a TSA approved lock. We use Master keyed locks for luggage. You stuff should be LOCKED if it's not in your possession...any lock will do. If someone needs to inspect something, they will find you. Or, they will cut the lock off...and you will certainly know your stuff has been gone through. Either way...LOCK your bags!

Bear in mind if you fly and do not use a TSA lock, they are not responsible to reseal your luggage before it is put into the airline handling system, nor is the airline responsible for loss to unlocked luggage up to a point...

Personally, I have TSA locks then I used a colored ziptie which will tell me if opened.

There is no LAW that says you must use a TSA approved lock. We use Master keyed locks for luggage. You stuff should be LOCKED if it's not in your possession...any lock will do. If someone needs to inspect something, they will find you. Or, they will cut the lock off...and you will certainly know your stuff has been gone through. Either way...LOCK your bags!

...Personally, I have TSA locks then I used a colored ziptie which will tell me if opened.

I do the same. Also, colored zip ties help in identifying bags more easily in luggage carousels if your luggage is generic looking like mine.

Edited by Ryndam2002

If Princess sees something in your luggage, you will be called down to the infamous naughty room to open your luggage and let them look through it. Personally all I ever put in my checked luggage is clothes so I don't use a lock. If they want to steal my clothes it is no big deal. I leave any really nice clothes at home. Everything of value is taken aboard in my carryon luggage.

I have had my luggage opened by TSA. The reason I know is that they left a letter in the luggage stating that it had been opened and inspected. When I fly to dive locations, they always seem to open my dive bag for inspection.

We use TSA locks, we just returned from 77 days of travel which included 3 cruises on 2 different lines and a 8 day river cruise, 5 flights and multiple trains and cabs while moving about Europe.

One of our bags was held when we boarded Emerald Princess due to some kitchen knives we had acquired in while in Switzerland. They held it until we arrived to open it and I removed the knives. Security held the knives and returned them once we had cleared customs after disembarking.

Royal Carribean did not bother to stop the bag with the knives during boarding.

Both our bags were inspected and Home Land Security inspection cards left inside the bags when flying SW from Ft. Lauderdale to Nola and then again flying United Nola to Toronto.

We would of had 4 locks cut if not TSA approved.

The problem with pull ties which I have used in the past and still carry with us is that you need a nail clipper, small scissors or a small knife to cut them when you get to your room worse if yu want to get in your bag at the airport.

We have all three of these items taken by airport security at different times.

Edited by baldercash

...The problem with pull ties which I have used in the past and still carry with us is that you need a nail clipper, small scissors or a small knife to cut them when you get to your room worse if yu want to get in your bag at the airport.

I put nail clippers in an outside zip pocket of my checked bag, when I travel with one, and never had a problem. I know they will confiscate them from a carry-on.

Don't pull the zip tie all the way tight, stick a key in it and twist...

We use TSA locks, we just returned from 77 days of travel which included 3 cruises on 2 different lines and a 8 day river cruise, 5 flights and multiple trains and cabs while moving about Europe.

One of our bags was held when we boarded Emerald Princess due to some kitchen knives we had acquired in while in Switzerland. They held it until we arrived to open it and I removed the knives. Security held the knives and returned them once we had cleared customs after disembarking.

Royal Carribean did not bother to stop the bag with the knives during boarding.

Both our bags were inspected and Home Land Security inspection cards left inside the bags when flying SW from Ft. Lauderdale to Nola and then again flying United Nola to Toronto.

We would of had 4 locks cut if not TSA approved.

The problem with pull ties which I have used in the past and still carry with us is that you need a nail clipper, small scissors or a small knife to cut them when you get to your room worse if yu want to get in your bag at the airport.