Bringing alcohol on board

Wayfairers

From the FAQ on ncl.com: Can I bringing alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships.*Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.*Wine & Champagne Policy*Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Is the alcohol selection so bad on the ship that it's necessary to bring your own?

The wine selection is iffy depending on your tastes. We have no problem with the selection.

Some people have absolute favorites that want to enjoy with their meals. Others believe they are actually saving money by bringing their own and paying corkage. Personally I wouldn't want the hassle of carrying wine on board because you cannot curb side check it with the rest of your luggage.

The wine selection is iffy depending on your tastes. We have no problem with the selection.

Some people have absolute favorites that want to enjoy with their meals. Others believe they are actually saving money by bringing their own and paying corkage. Personally I wouldn't want the hassle of carrying wine on board because you cannot curb side check it with the rest of your luggage.

I do have favorites, but I'll find it more interesting to explore the bar/wine lists and maybe try something I've not had before. Couldn't be doing with carrying bottles on. Each to his/her own though.

Thank you to those who provided answers to my questions. I was unsure after reading the NCL info whether or not it was unlimited. I like to bring a couple bottles of my favorites onboard for drinking whenever I want (I know how to use a corkscrew, thus no corkage fee). I drink the ship's alcohol also, since I like to try different wines/beers/mixed drinks. Many premium beers (not sold on the ship) are in champaign bottles so I will either take some of those or pick them up along the way. I was able to bring some of those on board in Europe before and that allowed us to enjoy some awesome beers not available in the US.

And beer in a champagne-style bottle is still beer and not allowed - I got grief boarding with a good bottle of Port, which IS wine, as the label was in Portuguese and the guy manning the 'pay your corkage' counter couldn't find the word 'wine' anywhere on the label. You might get lucky and have a very inattentive staff member just slap a sticker on it without looking at the label, but personally I don't think it's worth the risk of taking beer on board.

Others believe they are actually saving money by bringing their own and paying corkage. Personally I wouldn't want the hassle of carrying wine on board because you cannot curb side check it with the rest of your luggage.

The fact that you feel something is too much of a hassle doesn't mean that others wouldn't actually save money by bringing their own and paying corckage. ;)

Thank you to those who provided answers to my questions. I was unsure after reading the NCL info whether or not it was unlimited. I like to bring a couple bottles of my favorites onboard for drinking whenever I want (I know how to use a corkscrew, thus no corkage fee). I drink the ship's alcohol also, since I like to try different wines/beers/mixed drinks. Many premium beers (not sold on the ship) are in champaign bottles so I will either take some of those or pick them up along the way. I was able to bring some of those on board in Europe before and that allowed us to enjoy some awesome beers not available in the US.

You bring it on board, you pay the fee, whether you know how to use a cork screw or not!:eek:

NCL has the strictest alcohol policy of any of the cruise lines!:mad:

The fact that you feel something is too much of a hassle doesn't mean that others wouldn't actually save money by bringing their own and paying corckage. ;)

As I said, I personally wouldn't want the hassle for reasons stated within that sentence Where did I say that others would not save money by bringing their own wine onboard?:confused:

Edited by Beaver1975

NCL has the strictest alcohol policy of any of the cruise lines!:mad:

Please justify this statement.

When it come to wine other lines only allow two bottles. How long does two bottles last on a 7 day cruise?

When it comes to alcohol, they are exactly the same as other mass market lines with the possible exception of Disney.

So, your statement is not exactly true.

Edited by Beaver1975

Where did I say that others would not save money by bringing their own wine onboard?:confused:

"Others believe they are actually saving money by bringing their own and paying corkage."

Whether somebody actually saves money or not is not a matter of belief, it either happens or doesn't happen. IMO what you wrote clearly indicates that you don't think that they'd actually save money. (And we are still not talking about the hassle, only money.)

"Others believe they are actually saving money by bringing their own and paying corkage."

Whether somebody actually saves money or not is not a matter of belief, it either happens or doesn't happen. IMO what you wrote clearly indicates that you don't think that they'd actually save money. (And we are still not talking about the hassle, only money.)

Parse it any way you want, you always will. I should know better by now. :(

Please justify this statement.

When it come to wine other lines only allow two bottles. How long does two bottles last on a 7 day cruise?

Oh...I know.... on a cruise....2 bottles lasts 1 day! :)

:D :o

That's a decision only you can answer by reviewing the wine list:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_03172014.pdf

Tip 1: The US wines are generally overpriced compared to the European and New World wines. Some of those European wines are actually surprisingly reasonable for a cruise ship price list.

If you want to see a rip off wine list - look at HAL:eek:.

Some people, myself included, don't particularly like the selection that is offered on board by NCL. So we bring wine that we happen to like and enjoy and gladly pay the corkage fee.

When we celebrated our 40th Anniversary in 2011, I bought a bottle of Champagne ( Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Brut Vintage Champagne) from home (Canada) to have on board our cruise. At the time it was around $85.00 and it was something DW wanted, but was not available with NCL.

Glad we did, it made the day and our cruise memorable. Needless to say that same bottle or it's equal would have been double that price if we chose theirs.

We cruise Norwegian because we're able to bring what Wine we want and the unlimited quantity.

And sjbdtz, I have seen you guys drink Wine and 2 bottles are lucky if they make it past dinner. :p

cheers...the Ump...:D