Perry Grant on Eclipse TA

FortyNinerLiz

We watched Perry's show once and that was quite enough. I appreciate that some people love his style, but for me he is right up there with Dame Edna, making fun of some people to entertain others. However, he was very funny in Liar's Club.

True, but the fun is in jest, NEVER nasty. It's a shame when people can't take a little time to laugh at themselves.

Consideering that Perry had over 700 of his fans certainly means a lot the the overall financial health of the line. It's a shame they moved him out of Michaels & into Cellar Masters.

Those fans only cruise to see Perry? I think though that having 700 fans is a drop in the bucket financially. As for Michaels they moved everyone out of it except suite guests. I only see a few people in there at any time. I thought Celler Masters was going to be converted to a Gastro Pub. Will they have him perform in there? Why don't they use that other small theater? Celebrity Central. I have only seen them have movies and Sin City Comedy in it. Seems pretty under utilized.

Haven't ever cruised on a ship that featured Perry Grant, but, this thread has me curious, now. He'll be on our Eclipse cruise, next month -- definitely plan to catch his show. :cool:

You definitely should catch his show and make up your own mind.

Edited by Charles4515

We watched Perry's show once and that was quite enough. I appreciate that some people love his style, but for me he is right up there with Dame Edna, making fun of some people to entertain others. However, he was very funny in Liar's Club.

Last time we saw Perry Grant, he was great in Liar's Club. He told some good stories and each time was not the right answer. He was believable.

His stitch is expected, but then the individual interaction is funny and entertaining many times when the participates also play along.

I will go see him next cruise we are on with him.

First experienced him on a Holland America Line cruise and was very disappointed to learn that they had lost him to Celebrity Cruises. There are not many individual cruise ship entertainers that I particularly remember: Patrick Murray and Matilda and Perry Grant are the two main exceptions. Certainly did enjoy him when I sailed on Celebrity Eclipse. I have never understood how Holland America Line allowed him to slip away from their Entertainment Department.

This brought back many fond memories of Perry when he worked on Hal. Was to bad Hal lost his talent but as they say money talks, bs walks. Hal has let alot of good entertainers walk.

Thanks FortyNinerLiz for the memories

Those fans only cruise to see Perry? I think though that having 700 fans is a drop in the bucket financially. As for Michaels they moved everyone out of it except suite guests. I only see a few people in there at any time. I thought Celler Masters was going to be converted to a Gastro Pub. Will they have him perform in there? Why don't they use that other small theater? Celebrity Central. I have only seen them have movies and Sin City Comedy in it. Seems pretty under utilized.

Actually Celebrity cental would be an excellent idea.

It is a shame that he has fans who won't tolerate those who do not love his performances.

This is about being made fun of. I've never seen him "nasty" to anyone. If pax don't "get" his humor, then I doubt they can laugh at much at all. I understand not all like his humor, but he's never been rude & I'll stand by that!

I have seen plenty of entertainment on CELEBRITY I don't care for or, enjoyed.

However, I don't get on Cruise Critic, and, complain about it.

Alot of people enjoy Perry Grant, us included...

In fact, our next cruise next month on the ECLIPSE, he will be on vacay.

So, we'll miss him. :(

And, yes, we have granite and, stainless steel... ;)

Yes, sadly, some just don't get it. Some warped senses of humor out there.:confused:

Maybe it is your sense of humor that is warped?

I don't get why Perry fans can't understand that there can be differences of opinion about art. Haven't you ever been to a movie that you loved and your date hated?

I bet you really love him. You're just being anti to keep this thread going:)

No, I really don't like his act. But I do like that Celebrity has someone who's act is not the same homogenized performance that is typical on cruise ships. Just because I don't like his act does not mean I want it to go away.

Edited by Charles4515

Yes, it is noticeable that many Perry Grant fans can not abide any criticism or complaints about his act on Cruise Critic. It seems hypocritical that people who defend his act have a thin skin when it is criticized.

I know you don't want to hear it but a lot of people don't enjoy Perry Grant. I have been on two cruises where he performed and there were a lot of Perry fans onboard, they booked because of him, so I don't think that is a sample of the average Celebrity passenger. There were many passengers onboard who did not like his act. I expect some complained to Celebrity.

Ohhh!!! Perry insulted my formica counter tops! My God, the humanity of it all! I mean really? If you don't like his schtick, fine, but to not get the "joke" that's really sad for the person so humilated!

People have different things that make them laugh. I absolutely hate slapstick type of comedy and think it is childish and stupid. DH on the other hand, rolls on the floor laughing with tears in his eyes. But I love comedy, just not all genres. I also don't like magicians because instead of enjoying the talent I get frustrated trying to figure out how they do it lol

But, there is nothing wrong with me because I don't like slapstick, the same as there is nothing lacking in people who don't like Perry. It's not a case of "we just don't get it" To each his own

Yes, it is noticeable that many Perry Grant fans can not abide any criticism or complaints about his act on Cruise Critic. It seems hypocritical that people who defend his act have a thin skin when it is criticized.

I know you don't want to hear it but a lot of people don't enjoy Perry Grant. I have been on two cruises where he performed and there were a lot of Perry fans onboard, they booked because of him, so I don't think that is a sample of the average Celebrity passenger. There were many passengers onboard who did not like his act. I expect some complained to Celebrity.

Charles, I liked the advice you offered, that I should see Perry's show, and make up my own mind. I plan to do just that, next month on Eclipse -- and return with a full report. :cool:

But, I totally understand about some people loving a particular performer -- while others don't care for his/her act, in the least. After enjoying his performances on Century and Summit, I'm a big Jordan Peterson fan (even have an autographed CD :p). But, I can definitely understand why some folks are "meh" about Jordan. For one thing, he does a lot of "classic rock", that some folks just don't care for -- Elton, Billy Joel, Beatles, etc. Other folks just may not like Jordan's style. But, that's OK -- taste in music and art is subjective. If we all liked the same thing, the world would be a pretty boring place, wouldn't it? ;)

Some might see it as bullying or hazing.

I will throw that back at you......why can't you see that some don't see that as fun?

Not everyone likes classical music, but many ships have a small classic group. Not everyone likes blues, but HAL has had a lot of success with their BB King groups. Not everyone likes Perry, but he has been very successful with his "schitck" for many years.

Cruise lines do not expect every passenger to like every option. But Perry is a unique entertainer who makes many folks smile. Those that do not enjoy his show are certainly free to go elsewhere on the ship. Personally, I can take Perry in small doses. We will soon be on a 14 day cruise with him and I suspect DW and I will sit-in on 1 or 2 of his shows. Are we fans? Nope. But we do appreciate his talent. And his brand of insult comedy is not a new concept as folks like Don Rickles did quite well with that format for many years.

Hank

P.S. Do you have granite or marble?

Edited by Hlitner

Charles, I liked the advice you offered, that I should see Perry's show, and make up my own mind. I plan to do just that, next month on Eclipse -- and return with a full report. :cool:

But, I totally understand about some people loving a particular performer -- while others don't care for his/her act, in the least. After enjoying his performances on Century and Summit, I'm a big Jordan Peterson fan (even have an autographed CD :p). But, I can definitely understand why some folks are "meh" about Jordan. For one thing, he does a lot of "classic rock", that some folks just don't care for -- Elton, Billy Joel, Beatles, etc. Other folks just may not like Jordan's style. But, that's OK -- taste in music and art is subjective. If we all liked the same thing, the world would be a pretty boring place, wouldn't it? ;)

Here's a sample for you.

Edited by Ma Bell

I was on a 14 day Eclipse trip earlier this year. I caught his show about seven or eight times. I thought he was absolutely hilarious. He really creates a great comic character. He was a good singer, but not the world's greatest singer. However he knows an amazing amount of songs, and does a great job delivering them.

Perry Grant makes me feel good inside when he sings, I Love his music. I LOVE to laugh as most people that know me say they can hear me a mile away. A good cruise for me is measured by laughter, I have only sailed 2 times with this fantastic performer. By the way if you ever get the chance to meet his followers you will find they are the nicest people you will ever meet on the high seas, and tones of fun. This is just my opinion, I travel with the best of the crazies.

Have not seen Perry Grant in person yet... But after all the many topics here on CC over the years one day I spent quite some time (hours) checking him out on YouTube... Most videos posted by his Celebrity Fans. He indeed appears to be a very gifted entertainer as his shtick has several layers to it (music, song, comedian, self depreciating, and ya some ribbing of others). I certainly would not call it mean from what I saw.

I hope to some day see him on a Cruise I am on, especially o as I like it when there is a wider variety of types of Performers / performances

Seriously? You question does a Scot have humour?

Now THIS is funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyNvARU9xt0

Oh gosh...

Mrs Brown's Boys (aka Brendan O'Carroll and his clan)... This is one talented funny guy. We watch him here in Canada on the BBC... HYSTERICAL stuff

Note tho.. He is from Ireland not Scotland

Cheers!