Jewel out of Houston - Texas Liquor Laws?

albertamom

We're sailing in a Haven suite on the Jewel in February, so I have been reading everything Jewel-related that I can find. I found this review, which says that because of strict Texas liquor laws, bon voyage sparkling wine is not available in suites until the second day of the cruise, the mini-bars in cabins are sealed shut until then, alcohol that you have purchased for your room is not delivered until then, and the bars serve a limited number of wines, beer and other alcohol until the ship is well beyond Texas waters (only alcohol which has been purchased in Texas).

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=265571

Wow! Has anyone else experienced this first-hand? I love popping the cork and sharing our bubbly at sail-away. I'm so glad that I discovered this ahead of time. :(

(Maybe I'm overreacting and being whiny, but it is disappointing.)

This is all correct.

Our suite and latitudes paint stripper arrived the second day. The mini-bar is sealed until the night of embarkation when you leave Texas waters.

Thanks for your corroboration. At least we won't be taken by surprise. :)

My goodness! We only cruise from Texas ports & I've never experienced this but I've never sailed on NCL. It wasn't the fact on Princess last January. We set sail on Saturday so I'll try to remember to get back to this post & give you an update. If I forget, remind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It takes about two and a half hours to reach international waters. We went to dinner and the tape was off our mini bar when we came back.

That's a little better to hear. At least it wasn't noon the next day, as was the case on the reviewer's cruise. Still no sail-away cork to pop, but better for sure.

Can't speak for Norwegian but it was sorta the case on Princess. The bars were open but with a very very limited selection of beer, inexpensive and alcohol purchased through a Texas distributor. Bud and Bud light, some grocery store white and red and the basic bourbon, vodka, etc. It wasn't a big deal until we ended up spending the night at the pier ($@#% fog).

I definitely suggest paying the corkage if you want something tasty at sail away.

My goodness! We only cruise from Texas ports & I've never experienced this but I've never sailed on NCL. It wasn't the fact on Princess last January. We set sail on Saturday so I'll try to remember to get back to this post & give you an update. If I forget, remind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so excited for you! We're in the midst of another wintry blast here in Alberta, and it's making February seem very far away. I would love to hear about your experience, not just on this issue, but all your Jewel-related thoughts! :)

Can't speak for Norwegian but it was sorta the case on Princess. The bars were open but with a very very limited selection of beer, inexpensive and alcohol purchased through a Texas distributor. Bud and Bud light, some grocery store white and red and the basic bourbon, vodka, etc. It wasn't a big deal until we ended up spending the night at the pier ($@#% fog).

I definitely suggest paying the corkage if you want something tasty at sail away.

I've been watching the Bayport webcam, and saw the Emerald Princess still sitting there the next morning. How disappointing. I hope the rest of your cruise was fabulous! :)

This is just stupid. NCL and other cruise lines should just pull out of Texas until they change their stupid laws.

Every other state seems to do just fine without this rules.

Seems like I read another post about how strict they are about taking booze back off the ship when you return as well.

This is just stupid. NCL and other cruise lines should just pull out of Texas until they change their stupid laws.

Every other state seems to do just fine without this rules.

Seems like I read another post about how strict they are about taking booze back off the ship when you return as well.

If you don't like it, don't go out of Texas yourself. The rules have always been there, nothing new.

If you don't like it, don't go out of Texas yourself. The rules have always been there, nothing new.

These rules have not "always" been there. They did not exist when we sailed the Norwegian Sea in 2000. And NCL has not been in Texas for a long time.

You used to not pay sales tax on drinks on embarkation day in Miami either. A lot of things have changed, regulation wise, in the 5 or 6 years.

Jewel is going to have to resupply out of Houston now for this season. Early on I'm sure many of her supplies (including liquor) came with the ship when relocated. After a couple of weeks sailing all of that stock should be purged and the new supply will be Texas purchased. The problem should be over.

Deep breaths, slowly exhale!;)

Is this really worth getting upset about? We are talking about waiting until 6 p.m. to start drinking!

You're absolutely right that this is not a huge deal, but I happen to love my complimentary suite bubbly. Obviously, I'm not a wine aficionado, but seeing that bottle on ice upon entering my suite excites me, and popping the cork to toast sail-away is something I really look forward to. :)

I know that there are lots of people who have particular tastes in wine, beer and liquor, and they would be very disappointed their first afternoon/evening on board.

Jewel is going to have to resupply out of Houston now for this season. Early on I'm sure many of her supplies (including liquor) came with the ship when relocated. After a couple of weeks sailing all of that stock should be purged and the new supply will be Texas purchased. The problem should be over.

Deep breaths, slowly exhale!;)

This makes sense, and will hopefully be the case.

I should know this since I live in Texas but does this have anything to do with the state of Texas starting this year to enforce taxes on alcohol and cigarettes brought off of cruise ships?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

You're absolutely right that this is not a huge deal, but I happen to love my complimentary suite bubbly. Obviously, I'm not a wine aficionado, but seeing that bottle on ice upon entering my suite excites me, and popping the cork to toast sail-away is something I really look forward to. :)

I know that there are lots of people who have particular tastes in wine, beer and liquor, and they would be very disappointed their first afternoon/evening on board.

This makes sense, and will hopefully be the case.

I even ordered four bottles of GOOD champagne ahead of time trying to AVOID this issue - but it did not work as the pore-ordered bon voyage stuff arrives the next day.

AND we were late in leaving so the time frame for serving alcohol and opening up the mini bars was much later that many have posted - but that was just our bad luck.

The options available are small....not every bar is even open.....special "limited" bar menus are printed and available at those bars that ARE open....but truly a disappointment for me as well as I searched high and low for a bar that could serve me some champagne! Finally settled for some "sparkling" stuff at one of the bars that was open....but this was AFTER muster drill as well....

I wouild happily pay an extra surcharge to be able to consume what I wanted if they made that option available....but probably too much work. It seems like a nightmare for the bar staff as the "regular" bottles are taped off and locked up......really strange....

Glad we are leaving from LA tomorrow.......no flying and no alcohol shortage AND my 6 bottles of Moet will be waiting for me in my room!

I even ordered four bottles of GOOD champagne ahead of time trying to AVOID this issue - but it did not work as the pore-ordered bon voyage stuff arrives the next day.

AND we were late in leaving so the time frame for serving alcohol and opening up the mini bars was much later that many have posted - but that was just our bad luck.

The options available are small....not every bar is even open.....special "limited" bar menus are printed and available at those bars that ARE open....but truly a disappointment for me as well as I searched high and low for a bar that could serve me some champagne! Finally settled for some "sparkling" stuff at one of the bars that was open....but this was AFTER muster drill as well....

I wouild happily pay an extra surcharge to be able to consume what I wanted if they made that option available....but probably too much work. It seems like a nightmare for the bar staff as the "regular" bottles are taped off and locked up......really strange....

Glad we are leaving from LA tomorrow.......no flying and no alcohol shortage AND my 6 bottles of Moet will be waiting for me in my room!

My feelings exactly.

We've never considered carrying on wine before, but are definitely thinking about trying to purchase some of the sparkling variety when we land at IAH the night before. We shouldn't have any problem with that, should we (since it will be purchased in Texas)? :confused:

Hopefully by the time we cruise in February, this will no longer be an issue. I hope that cruisers will continue providing updates. :)