Quantum Failure!

M.S JAZO

Maybe our experience is not as extensive, but our stateroom door has always been locked when we first arrive.

Same here. We've sailed four different lines and never just walked into our cabin without unlocking the door.

I am sorry for the OP's situation. WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!! 5 hours?

This thread has gotten me very concerned for several reasons that have been mentioned.

We are booked for February on the Quantum. It will be interesting to see if they adjust any of these policies by then regarding check in...

I am a patient person until I'm not patient anymore. I don't like it when I'm not patient anymore...This situation would have pushed me to the limit.

I hope that you get the compensation that you are satisfied with.

Same here. We've sailed four different lines and never just walked into our cabin without unlocking the door.

I was on Freedom of the Seas 3 years ago. Door was open, tv on. All the cabins we passed were the same. No big deal. What could they take before we got there? Luggage is already an option if you're going to riffle. Perhaps the closed door let the cabin steward know we were there? The next year on Oasis, door was closed. I think it varies by ship & cabin steward.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I was on Freedom of the Seas 3 years ago. Door was open, tv on. All the cabins we passed were the same. No big deal. What could they take before we got there? Luggage is already an option if you're going to riffle. Perhaps the closed door let the cabin steward know we were there? The next year on Oasis, door was closed. I think it varies by ship & cabin steward.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Then maybe it's more dependent on the attendant. We've sailed Freedom three times and the door was never left open.

Edited by Big_G

Guest maddycat
I just finished writing up the letter to RCI. Sending in a few to the email a few of you provided as well as RCI generic email on the website. Let's see what happens. I'll keep everyone posted.

Good. I just read through all 5 pages of this thread. I agree with many others who have posted that you should get compensated for your trouble. I really think that RCI should refund the cost of the cruise. Good luck.

Excellent. So after the person has entered a room that isn't theirs...has stolen things, has assaulted the person who is supposed to be there and came in later, has done worse to that person...that bad guy can be caught.

I, personally, would rather not have those things happen in the first place. Silly notion, perhaps, to prevent crime rather than just make it easy to punish crime...

I am not a fan of the Seapass being left on the door either. But let's not overreact here. As a poster pointed out, apparently it's in a sealed envelope with a pull tab and instructions to see GS if it's been tampered with. So, if someone opens your cabin, you'll know it. The Seapass still has your name on it, so if someone opens the wrong one, it's likely they might notice that it has someone eise's name on it. Now, I do see a huge problem with someone going to the wrong cabin by mistake, opening the envelope and realizing that it's the wrong cabin. Now, when you get there to find the envelope tampered with you need to go see GS. If someone steals your seapass and runs up bar bills, it shouldn't be a problem for you. You will be going to GS to report it missing, and obviously any drinks charged on it prior to you reporting it missing would have had to be bought by someone else.

But I'm betting this won't be much of a problem. Someone who is on the ship likely isn't going to steal a random seapass to get a few free drinks and risk being either kicked off or charged with theft.

As for the whole "stolen and assaulted" thing, do you honestly think that someone is going to pick a random cabin, open a random envelope, one that the occupant is expecting to find untampered with, sit in this random cabin, then assault the person who walks in? What if that person isn't some demure, young, helpless woman traveling by herself, but an NFL lineman who is with a group of buddies? Really unlikely scenario. Plus, if someone is hell bent on assaulting someone, they'll do it regardless. Happens already on cruise ships.

As for women traveling alone, if you get to your cabin and someone has broken in, it'll be obvious, the seapass will either be missing, or the envelope will have clearly been tampered with.

So, not a good system. But not as serious as maybe thought. Honestly, don't see how this new system improves anything. Hopefully they'll go back to the old system.

As a poster pointed out, apparently it's in a sealed envelope with a pull tab and instructions to see GS if it's been tampered with. So, if someone opens your cabin, you'll know it.

Not if the perp never opens the envelope. You can open the door with the card inside the envelope.;)

Biker, who is expecting a similar story from someone who is disembarking right now from the inagural sailing.

If someone steals your seapass and runs up bar bills, it shouldn't be a problem for you. You will be going to GS to report it missing, and obviously any drinks charged on it prior to you reporting it missing would have had to be bought by someone else.

But I'm betting this won't be much of a problem. Someone who is on the ship likely isn't going to steal a random seapass to get a few free drinks and risk being either kicked off or charged with theft.

Since your photo comes up whenever they scan the seapass, that should not be a problem either, assuming that the staff pays even cursory attention to what they are doing.

I suspect that they may decide to make some sort of change to how they distribute the cards and wow bands but the horrific scenarios that some folks are predicting may be signs of an overactive imagination.

Not if the perp never opens the envelope. You can open the door with the card inside the envelope.;)

Biker, who is expecting a similar story from someone who is disembarking right now from the inagural sailing.

Now that doesn't sound good..........go in and back out and put the envelope back where it was........oops wrong room!!!

Edited by CVU

....go in and back out and put the envelope back where it was........oops wrong room!!!

Call it you own personalized cabin crawl - how else are you going to check out what a loft suite looks like.;)

Biker, who hopes every one understands that the above should not be taken as an invitation to look in other peoples room.

Does anyone know for sure that the SeaPass card can be used while it is in the sealed envelope? It is possible that the envelope is also an RFID blocking sleeve. I'm sailing on Quantum on the 12th, I guess I'll have to try it.

Getting back to the OP's original issue, it was not a case where someone entered their cabin illicitly. It appears that the contractors were mistakenly assigned their cabin without realization that guests were also booked in that cabin. Obviously, that is not something that should not have happened and should have been rectified in a much more timely fashion than it was. I also wonder if perhaps the contractors had already been using that cabin prior to the OP's cruise and were staying aboard from a previous cruise and weren't reassigned another cabin. Again, that is something that should not have happened but might be more explainable.

I've been on cruises where the door is left open and the TV is on and people are milling around in the hallway looking for their rooms. I never thought much about it. Most of the time, the doors are shut and locked though.

My parents were on a cruise with another couple several years back and the women went to go find their rooms (they had connecting balcony rooms) while the men went to the bar. When they got to their rooms the doors were open and ready for them. They noticed a few things were not the way they wanted things set up with their bed arrangement, their ice bucket, and a few other odds and ends. They met the room steward and gave him their requests. They used the bathroom and started getting comfortable in their digs. They were sitting in the rooms waiting for the men to arrive and the men never showed up. It turned out that my mom and her friend were in the wrong room(s). They were a digit off on their room number(s) and were in the opposite corner of the ship of where they should have been. They were so embarrassed and took off to the right room(s). Nothing was intentional or stolen but I can't imagine what the people thought who really had those rooms when they walked in. It happens. :eek:

What a crazy story. However, What stands out for me is the stupid lack of security by leaving the key cards in an envelope outside the cabin door.

All that time & money on this ship and that's the best RCI can come up with.

This is what happens when you try to fix what is not broken. Very stupid idea!

Cant wait to hear about someone using squatters rights to claim a loft suite.