Quantum Failure!

M.S JAZO

Booking a room should be the simplest of procedures. It's nothing new for a cruise company, regardless of how old the ship is. Granted the ships probably don't have contract workers staying on them often, but no guests should ever be double booked!

I'd imagine that getting an external company to pre-make the cards could be cheaper and would save time at the desk, since they no longer have to print them. How much does it save though? Only they know. Maybe the saved time just transfers over to the handful of soon-to-be frustrated customers. So, in the end, those couple of minutes saved per room simply transfer over to hours of waiting for a few unlucky guests. Maybe RCI considers that acceptable collateral damage :P

Edited by docd

Perhaps RCI should stop charging super premium prices for these initial "shakedown" cruises. If their paying passengers on the first few cruises aboard any spanking brand new ships were given price incentives for being the cruiseline's guinea pigs, at least problems like these and even worse would be acceptable, IMHO.

Shame on you, RCI. You need to make this right to the OP.

. . . and that new seapass card system makes absolutely no sense to me, either.

Perhaps RCI should stop charging super premium prices for these initial "shakedown" cruises. If their paying passengers on the first few cruises aboard any spanking brand new ships were given price incentives for being the cruiseline's guinea pigs, at least problems like these and even worse would be acceptable, IMHO.

Shame on you, RCI. You need to make this right to the OP.

. . . and that new seapass card system makes absolutely no sense to me, either.

And yet many people are paying those prices despite the risks, Unless they are totally unaware of those risks, they apparently feel that it is worth the cost, so why should the line charge less than what they know the market will bear? They are a "for-profit" company and if I were a shareholder I would expect them to maximize their revenues.

If there are changes that need to be made with the seapass system, I am sure that they will make them, but aside from a possible security problem with the way passengers obtain the cards, the cards themselves and the WOW bands worked extremely well.

And yet many people are paying those prices despite the risks, Unless they are totally unaware of those risks, they apparently feel that it is worth the cost, so why should the line charge less than what they know the market will bear?

Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Big_G

Sorry for your terrible experience.

I"m starting to worry - we're booked on Quantum come February. Putting aside my apprehensions of being on a huge Mass-Market ship - I'm not starting to get the impression that this might be worse - a huge mass market ship, think WalMart on Black Friday - only for added comfort, the whole darn thing revolves around i-pads and high tech that causes confusion for simple things.

I'm telling myself that this is because Quantum has just started off. Royal can't be the world's largest cruise line by putting out bad cruises. I'm hoping by February things settle down and are of good quality and organized.

Am I really the only one who feels that you need to have a certain level of understanding when you go on one of the VERY FIRST cruises on a BRAND NEW ship with BRAND NEW technology and boarding procedures? I would be shocked if there weren't bugs! It is unfortunate that your family had some challenges and lost some of your vacation time, but I think you also need to have some understanding considering what you booked.

IF RCCL sends a huge refund to the poster, then I'd say it's totally acceptable.

But if RCCl is charging the regular rate - they aren't making concessions for offering a terrible product, so the customer should expect a good product.

Even if the ship has been at sea for years - I"m glad that passengers speak out if something is wrong. Sure, some passengers love saying "stop complaining - a cruise is what you make of it!" - well, ok, I wonder - if I send in my final payment, $100 short along with a note saying "here RCL, it's what you make of it" - would they be so forgiving?

Doubt it

And yet many people are paying those prices despite the risks, Unless they are totally unaware of those risks, they apparently feel that it is worth the cost, so why should the line charge less than what they know the market will bear? They are a "for-profit" company and if I were a shareholder I would expect them to maximize their revenues.

If there are changes that need to be made with the seapass system, I am sure that they will make them, but aside from a possible security problem with the way passengers obtain the cards, the cards themselves and the WOW bands worked extremely well.

Having been on Oasis Maiden & Inaugurals & Allure Maiden & Inaugurals I can tell you that Quantum has a heck of a lot more problems than OA & AL had on their first sailings out put together.

When the OP sailed the Quantum had already been sailing for 3 weeks doing a Pre-Inaugural from Southampton & then the Maiden Voyage & 5 pre-inaugurals from Cape Liberty so really the OP should not have had these problems.

From what I have been hearing the Inaugural sailing is having problems even now.

I suspected the Maiden Voyage would have some hiccups but not as many as she did.

Yes we on the 11/2 Maiden Voyage were given compensation on day 2 because of the terrible mess at check in (I was nearly 3 hours in the terminal) and we were delayed sailing because there was still luggage sitting on the dock.

There were major IT problems that first night but as I said we were compensated.

But the problems continued for many many guests, right the way through the sailing.

By mid way through I was ready to get off the ship. I was so fed up of the glitches and the "oh when we get to Bayonne we will have this or that or things will be fixed" responses from staff on the ship.

So when the OP sailed, really, RCCL had had enough time to get the glitches fixed and the OP should not have had to endure what he did.

Many people paid a lot of money for the 11/2 Maiden Voyage (although many of us also got it very cheaply) but the cost of it does not matter, it is the fact that this ship was simply not ready for every guest to enjoy what this new beautiful amazing ship had to offer...because of glitches and under trained staff.

Just because some guests didn't have problems and thought their sailing was fantastic, doesn't mean it was the same for every guest.

Construction work at 3am for an hour which can be heard when you are trying to sleep...really is not a good thing. That happened to me on 11/2 Maiden Voyage...but no contractor would put their hand up to say it was them and so the matter was brushed aside.

OP, I applaude you for the way you kept calm and the manner in which you told your story here, thank you.

So before I get attacked for bashing Royal please be aware I went in with an open mind and excited to try out a Royal Caribbean. I had never sailed on Royal before and with quite a few sailings under my belt it was time.

It was the 2 night sampler cruise on Quantum on 11/21 from Bayonne. Being a new ship I expected some kinks that needed to be worked out but it being a weekend trip I was just wanting to relax, eat, have some drinks and bond with my siblings (5 of us, 3 girls, 2 guys). Like I said... been on cruises enough to know I love them so if somethings don't go as planned I know its just because it's a new ship.

I had 2 rooms... one for the girls and one for me and my brother. Both superior balcony rooms only a few doors apart. So I had done the entire check in process online for all of us. I had also put both rooms on my credit card for shipboard account. That was the first problem. Their system was not recognizing that so it took a port coordinator manager and countless visits to multiple check in counters for the problem to get fixed. No biggie we finally board the ship after 30 minutes from arriving.

We were on deck 9... my brother and my room was the first door you saw when you turned the corner from the elevator bank. The girls was probably 4 doors down. I didn't know how to open the door. Nothing on the little holder above the room number. Go to the girls room and they have an envelope with 3 cards that open the door. Cool we go in and the wrist bands (3 of them) are there for the girls. I figured they forgot to leave the cards for our room (new ship kink or some new crew members) no biggie, I went to guest services (its about 12:30pm) and asked for cards. No problem, they said so sorry... pulled my info and she went and made 2 cards, one for me and for my brother. Awesome! I head upstairs and turn the corner from the elevators and since my room is the first door you see, what do I see... people coming in and out of my room... I stopped dead in my tracks and thought to myself... am I seeing things... are they crew members? (the guy was in shorts and shades so no on the crew member part). Maybe I got off the wrong floor? (nope) Maybe I had the room number wrong? (Pulled the boarding pass out and nope I was right). So I causally walk by and see suitcases inside and I ask, (I'm sorry are you guys staying there?) Yes he says, closes the door and walks away.

So yeah now I'm like ***... I go to the girls rooms and call guest services and explain everything that I just explained here. I'm kinda like this is funny but ok can someone look into this because I don't have a room and if I didn't have the second room for my sisters I'd be in the hallway with my brother and our luggage. Ok so the guy says Ok... "give me a few minutes and i'll call you back in 10 minutes. Let me see whats going on". Ok no problem. 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes... I call back. Long Long Long Long story short. That cabin has 5 people staying in it. It's 4:30... I have no room, no card, no wristband, I can't buy a drink, I don't have a room, the muster drills sounds... even though my sisters room was only a few doors down they had a different muster station... So I tell my brother... screw this we are going to go sit at guest services because we don't know where to go. By this point I've been to guest services and called guest services about a dozen times total. They know its me and my brother in this room we don't have, it's two of us... I'm frustrated... I'm tired... i'm starving but I'm not going to relax until I have a room. I keep asking for a hotel manager or someone who can do something because everyone at guest services just kept saying sorry and please wait... and at one point they even told me they were sending housekeeping to look into the matter... I didn't even have a room... I wasn't asking for someone to turn down a bed, why are you sending housekeeping. The "i'm sorry" wasn't doing anything anymore. Empty words because it's been how many hours and i don't have a room.

So we go and sit at guest service as the alarm is sound for the muster drill... I'm the oldest... so I tell my brother... let's sit and relax here cause we literally have no where to go. So ANOTHER guest service person comes up to us... asked if we were contractors, we said no and I told her I have no where to go. I don't have a room, I don't have a key or a wrist band (they keys that were made for me when I went down the first time were taken away). So she practically accused us of being stowaways... awesome feeling if I may say & we shouldn't be on board. So I simply and calmly said... well unless someone is gonna cut me a check for what I paid for the room I didn't get, i'm not getting off. So she asked for ID's which I didn't have on me. They were in my luggage. My brother had his so she took that and went to the back and we waited again.

Now a guest service supervisor comes out with another guest service member, not the same that asked for ID and apologizes some more. I tell her... It's almost 5pm... I'm mentally drained now. I'm tired. I'm frustrated... it's barely a 2 day cruise and I've spent nearly 5 hours waiting for a room. I explained that had it not been for the other room.. I would've been waiting in a public lounge hauling my luggage around like a foul that missed his flight at an airport. I told her I had reservations for dinner and my mind is completely lost at this point and I don't remember what time or what restaurant or anything. She has the other guy go and pull my reservations for dinner and a show. He comes and says 5:30 at Chops, Mama Mia at 8.30... She says she is gonna stop by Chops at 5:30 to check up on us, she gives me cards to the room and says the room is ready, it's been cleaned completely from top to bottom and we can go once the drill is done (like 5 mins before it was done).

NOT DONE!

We FINALLY go upstairs.... we open the door... Some kinds of chemical bottles on the corner of the sofa... I asked for twin beds... got a king... being in guest service so so so many times now they know it's my brother and me but I find one wrist band in the room (I have to head back downstairs AGAIN because housekeeping says only they can issue the wrist bands... and later in the evening we lay down just to lay down and relax for a few... pulled the comforter up just to get comfy... hairs on the sheets below which honestly looked like pubic hair but can't be sure... it wasn't my hair or my brothers... we just pulled the comforter off.

ONE MORE!

5.30 we arrive at Chops... I'M STARVING! I Need A Whisky Sour & Hoping The Food Is The Saving Grace... Hostess says.... oh yes I have you here for 5 at 5:30... however we won't be seating till 6.15! WHAT???!!!! THAT'S IT! Guest service people/manager/every guest service crew member on this Quantum failure has apologized for almost 6 hours now... guest service manager confirmed the reservation for me and even said she would stop by to check up on us... I bolt for guest services again and now I'm like... I want off this ship NOW! Some assistant hotel manager or something hears my frustration... hears the story and calls the food and beverage manager who is in shock and opens the restaurant for us.

This was no WOW experience. I didn't come on the ship trying to get free stuff... I was simply asking for what I paid for... a room. I'm sorry Royal... but I missed what everyone is always talking about. The food was excellent. That dinner at Chops was just excellent, and service on point but i'm thinking it had something to do with the food and beverage manager, but they were super nice so i'm thinking there are generally that nice and attentive. I was not charged for the dinner (just alcohol). The Starwater show and Mama Mia were really good too. Excellent actually.

I kept my cool and had a lot of patience... I work with customers on a daily basis and I understand how it feels when someone is frustrated and yelling at you and you are trying to make it right but the amount that passed and how much kept happening was just like a sick sad joke or some hidden camera show.

Judge for yourself... but after that little weekend cruise... I left the ship more stressed than a full 5 day work work.

WOW, you deserve a free cruise! Are you listening RCL??????????:eek:

Having been on Oasis Maiden & Inaugurals & Allure Maiden & Inaugurals I can tell you that Quantum has a heck of a lot more problems than OA & AL had on their first sailings out put together.

When the OP sailed the Quantum had already been sailing for 3 weeks doing a Pre-Inaugural from Southampton & then the Maiden Voyage & 5 pre-inaugurals from Cape Liberty so really the OP should not have had these problems.

From what I have been hearing the Inaugural sailing is having problems even now.

I suspected the Maiden Voyage would have some hiccups but not as many as she did.

Yes we on the 11/2 Maiden Voyage were given compensation on day 2 because of the terrible mess at check in (I was nearly 3 hours in the terminal) and we were delayed sailing because there was still luggage sitting on the dock.

There were major IT problems that first night but as I said we were compensated.

But the problems continued for many many guests, right the way through the sailing.

By mid way through I was ready to get off the ship. I was so fed up of the glitches and the "oh when we get to Bayonne we will have this or that or things will be fixed" responses from staff on the ship.

So when the OP sailed, really, RCCL had had enough time to get the glitches fixed and the OP should not have had to endure what he did.

Many people paid a lot of money for the 11/2 Maiden Voyage (although many of us also got it very cheaply) but the cost of it does not matter, it is the fact that this ship was simply not ready for every guest to enjoy what this new beautiful amazing ship had to offer...because of glitches and under trained staff.

Just because some guests didn't have problems and thought their sailing was fantastic, doesn't mean it was the same for every guest.

Construction work at 3am for an hour which can be heard when you are trying to sleep...really is not a good thing. That happened to me on 11/2 Maiden Voyage...but no contractor would put their hand up to say it was them and so the matter was brushed aside.

OP, I applaude you for the way you kept calm and the manner in which you told your story here, thank you.

Agreed, we were invited on the maiden Allure cruise, and while much of that cruise was excellent (with all the big shots on board) there was still a lot of problems, but nothing like what was described by the OP!:eek:

WOW! I have never been let on a ship without my ID. In your luggage? hmmmm weird?

:confused:

This whole ordeal sounds fabricated. It sounds like what could happen. But it is so crazy it's probably true.

I have always had to have my ID, right up to getting on the ramp up to the ship. Then from there use the ships card/pass. How do they scan you boarding the ship without the ships card/pass. Your photo tied to the barcade on the boarding paperwork?

This whole ordeal sounds fabricated. It sounds like what could happen. But it is so crazy it's probably true.

I have always had to have my ID, right up to getting on the ramp up to the ship. Then from there use the ships card/pass. How do they scan you boarding the ship without the ships card/pass. Your photo tied to the barcade on the boarding paperwork?

When you check in for Quantum all you need is your ID and your set sail paperwork. When boarding Quantum you do not have a sea pass card. You do not get it until you are on the ship.

When they scan your set sail paperwork when you board the Quantum your photo shows up on their screens.

It could be that the OP put their ID with their luggage in his sisters cabin while he went to talk with Guest Services.

But the initial room keys are outside of your cabin. Nothing stops anyone from going up, taking the room key from the little area by your cabin # and going in your cabin....NOTHING

Or taking the card key and buying themselves a few drinks.

The cruise being two days... I didn't check in my luggage. We all walked on board with our bags. This not being my first cruise... and ID once on board is not needed as I just need my cruise card... my wallet is not needed and so I didn't have my ID with me as I went back and forth to guest services. So once I boarded with my bags and ID which was in my bags... that I went and left in my sisters room.

Sooooooooooooooooooo.... to clarify... I got on the ship checking in at the terminal, using my ID and my printed boarding pass. You do not receive ship cards before boarding... they are suppose to be waiting in an envelope outside your room next to the room number. The printed boarding pass has a scan bar they scan as you board the ship.

I clearly didn't sneak myself and my brother with our bags on board and gallantly went to guest services over a dozen times demanding a room. I did everything as Royal Caribbean asked... from online check in to uploading a selfie to speed up the terminal check in process. Just in case anyone is doubting a story.

I honestly didn't think I was going to write to RCCL... but based on what many of you have said being loyal RCCL cruisers... I changed my mind and will reach out to RCCL. Other than a standard email on their website... anyone know any other contact to reach out to?

What happened to you is inexcusable! I am a very loyal Royal who spent 5 days on quantum, and was lucky enough to have no issues, but I don't doubt for one minute what you say happened.

Please don't hesitate to email Royal Caribbean, I have found they are usually very good about getting back to you. You can use agoldstein@rccl.com

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow, what a terrible thing to happen especially on such a short cruise. Our 3 and 2 nighters both went really well, but I honestly had concerns about that card on the door thing. Seemed flwed. No way to stop anyway from grabbing the card and if someone goes to the wrong room what a mess. I loved everything about Quantum and the new check in was super quick, but they should go back to giving sea pass before we get on!

They may change the Seapass distribution once they identify the amount of lost revenue they experience between boarding & cabin availability. The first thing we do when we board is head to the Schooner Bar for a drink or two. Then lunch, then the cabin. With this new process, that's (at least) 4 drinks we wouldn't purchase. Knowing many other cruisers do something similar, that has the potential of being a lot of lost $$!!

I am boarding on Monday. I was very suspicious from the first time that I heard about this "Your SeaPass card will be in an envelope on the outside of your cabin door" thing. I had and have very serious reservations about the security of the situation, and the two posters that I quoted said what I have been thinking.

The cruise being two days... I didn't check in my luggage. We all walked on board with our bags. This not being my first cruise... and ID once on board is not needed as I just need my cruise card... my wallet is not needed and so I didn't have my ID with me as I went back and forth to guest services. So once I boarded with my bags and ID which was in my bags... that I went and left in my sisters room.

Sooooooooooooooooooo.... to clarify... I got on the ship checking in at the terminal, using my ID and my printed boarding pass. You do not receive ship cards before boarding... they are suppose to be waiting in an envelope outside your room next to the room number. The printed boarding pass has a scan bar they scan as you board the ship.

I clearly didn't sneak myself and my brother with our bags on board and gallantly went to guest services over a dozen times demanding a room. I did everything as Royal Caribbean asked... from online check in to uploading a selfie to speed up the terminal check in process. Just in case anyone is doubting a story.

I honestly didn't think I was going to write to RCCL... but based on what many of you have said being loyal RCCL cruisers... I changed my mind and will reach out to RCCL. Other than a standard email on their website... anyone know any other contact to reach out to?

Write a detailed but succinct account of your experience. Attach any relevant photos, and email to agoldstein@rccl.com Someone from that office will read your email and get back to you quickly, IME.

Good luck.

I am a "loyal to Royal" cruiser, but if I were you, I would ask for a full refund of your fare. That is truly the LEAST that they should do for you!

What an ordeal! :eek: :mad:

What happened to you is inexcusable! I am a very loyal Royal who spent 5 days on quantum, and was lucky enough to have no issues, but I don't doubt for one minute what you say happened.

Please don't hesitate to email Royal Caribbean, I have found they are usually very good about getting back to you. You can use agoldstein@rccl.com

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Write a detailed but succinct account of your experience. Attach any relevant photos, and email to agoldstein@rccl.com Someone from that office will read your email and get back to you quickly, IME.

Good luck.

I am a "loyal to Royal" cruiser, but if I were you, I would ask for a full refund of your fare. That is truly the LEAST that they should do for you!

What an ordeal! :eek: :mad:

GMTA, Rita!

I am boarding on Monday. I was very suspicious from the first time that I heard about this "Your SeaPass card will be in an envelope on the outside of your cabin door" thing. I had and have very serious reservations about the security of the situation, and the two posters that I quoted said what I have been thinking.

Plus, people are going to go into your stateroom and steal your sparkling water!:eek:

Or taking the card key and buying themselves a few drinks.

And as far as the "photo comes up when they swipe your card" safeguard goes, if you're John Doe and you're using Bill Smith's card, a simple "well I guess they screwed that up as well, that's not the photo that I submitted" will probably stump the bartender and get you your drinks:(

The room number was printed on our cards last week. Hopefully they continue to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, good to hear this, could have been feedback equally from crew and from guests to re instate the numbers.

On one occasion in the casino the power was out when I withdrew some cash. The cashier had to fill in a hand written slip. That is one occasion when you definitely needed the cabin number on the card, the member of staff just asked your deck number. I also noticed the folio number was no longer on the card!:eek:.

In the casino situation I could easily have transposed a number amd some poor person would be queuing at GS to sort out an anomaly on their sea pass account. . As liz would say " ecky thump" :eek:

When I mentioned the lack of number on the card to a member of staff unbelievably I was told Richard Fain wanted them like that ,

The only photo I have is one my sister took... I was so frustrated I just laid down on the floor next to the stairs by the elevator bank of the 9th floor because I was just tired already and was waiting for someone to come upstairs and fix this so I just gave up and laid on the floor.

The only photo I have is one my sister took... I was so frustrated I just laid down on the floor next to the stairs by the elevator bank of the 9th floor because I was just tired already and was waiting for someone to come upstairs and fix this so I just gave up and laid on the floor.

Your ordeal is quite descriptive and convincing without photos. Don't hesitate to escalate this to corporate. People complain about far less than what you endured.

Liz, I agree with you. The ship has had a few embarkations/disembarkations now and glitches applicable to those areas should be sorted by now.

The excuse when the ship left Southampton was inexperience of shoreside staff and the lack of the satellite .

When we arrived in Southampton on 31st October at 10.30am for the 2 night freebie cruise friends who were already on the ship arrived to find people in their allocated cabin. They phoned me from the ship to tell me.Embarkation was halted completely until the onboard housekeeping/cabin situation was resolved. Seems the contractors hadn't vacated the arriving guest cabins so we all ended up waiting 90 mins. in the terminal. Everything was free already so there was no cause for complaint but for a similar situation to still be ongoing is unacceptable.

Edited by heatherb1958

That photo should sum up your experience perfectly:eek:

What you went though is completely unacceptable. Please write the letter and let us know the outcome. Good luck!