Whoever said you can't feel the boat rock on the Allure.....

debbs0723

I'm on the boat now. It has been swaying back and forth like crazy for days. We are having some propulsion problem. We were 3.5 hours late in St. Thomas. None of this has ruined a great trip and I feel like Royal showed some real class by giving room credits. We got a credit totaling $200. $100 per room for 2 rooms with 2 people each. I know they do not have to do that. Trip has been great. I think mdr food has been better than I've had in a long time on a ship. Windjammer....not so much. Beautiful ship and fun ship. I just wish I wasn't living on dramamine.

Debbie

That is really unusual, especially in the Caribbean. The first time I felt some rock'n roll on an Oasis class ship was in the Bay of Biscay from Southampton to Spain on our transatlantic. I was on the jogging-track and it actually felt like running up and down hills :D.

I second the swaying. I'm on the allure right now and while lying on bed, it moved a little each way from the current spot I was laying. It doesn't bother me but I was surprised it could be felt. The waves are swell and don't look that big. Wind is only 8-9 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Probably someone who hasn't been cruising for very long and believes everything they read on Cruise Critic. :D

Well I don't believe everything I read but even our waiter last night said he's been on this ship 3 years and has never felt it sway like this. It's not my first rodeo either.

Edited by debbs0723

Out of curiosity .. where are your cabins located? Aft? Forward or Midships?

Midship deck 9 but it can be felt and seen everywhere. I'm really not trying to sound negative. It was all meant more in a joking tone, but there is tons of movement.

If the ship is having propulsion problems and running behind schedule they won't use the stabilizers which slow the ship down further and cause more fuel use.

Eventually new ships will move from retractable stabilizers to ones more like SeaKeeper gyroscopes that won't impact speed when in use.

I just got off the Liberty yesterday. It went from Ft Lauderdale to Belize and Cozumel. We had almost 60mph winds yesterday and the day before. The ship was rocking REALLY bad and they had to close the pools and the pool deck for awhile. The seas were really rough because of the winds.

I'm home and still swaying really bad.

Forward deck 11. 12th cruise. I know this type of movement could be cancelled out with stabilizers. It's a slow methodical "roll". Feels like the movement that happens while cruising up/down Mississippi River to New Orleans. So, I don't think the stabilizers are in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well I don't believe everything I read but even our waiter last night said he's been on this ship 3 years and has never felt it sway like this. It's not my first rodeo either.

Well, I'm not on the ship with you but I'm referring to the title of your post. In fact I quoted it. I haven't been on a ship yet that at one point or another didn't have good rocking including Allure. My apologies if you felt I was trivializing in your experience in some way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Midship deck 9 but it can be felt and seen everywhere. I'm really not trying to sound negative. It was all meant more in a joking tone, but there is tons of movement.

Well sheeeet, that's where our cabin is located and we embark in two days!:eek:

I am on the ship as well and you can definitely feel the rocking motion. Of course, it is fairly similar to the movement I have felt every time I have sailed the Eastern route. I was on Allure last year Western route and felt nothing. I am on the same deck similar location. I have to agree that it was very nice of Royal to give a nice OBC for being late to a port. The only horrible thing is that tomorrow is the last day!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wonder if they can't use the stabilizers for some reason?

Stabilizers can only do so much, they don't negate it all. Also, and here's a dirty little secret, they add to ship's drag and fuel consumption. So, if they figure they can do without them, they keep them in. ;)

Besides, some motion is good, reminds one that they are on a ship, not a land resort!:D

Well sheeeet, that's where our cabin is located and we embark in two days!:eek:

You are going to have a great cruise. The movement can be felt but it is not that bad. I feel like the swaying has helped me sleep better. That and the alcohol...lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app