Crazy high prices for FOS....

just erica

Hi there, we just got off our very first cruise on FOS two weeks ago. We had an absolute blast and are now hooked on cruising!!

I was looking up prices on the website today and found that they are crazy high, even with the current sale. We paid $1039 for a D1 balcony and now that same room for the Nov 8/2015 sailing is listed at $1850. Even with the 50 percent off second passenger, we would be paying more. I don't get it.....does anyone know why the prices have just about doubled?

I even looked at a Nov 28th/2015 sailing on the Navigator and a smaller balcony room is going for almost $1300.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Hi there, we just got off our very first cruise on FOS two weeks ago. We had an absolute blast and are now hooked on cruising!!

I was looking up prices on the website today and found that they are crazy high, even with the current sale. We paid $1039 for a D1 balcony and now that same room for the Nov 8/2015 sailing is listed at $1850. Even with the 50 percent off second passenger, we would be paying more. I don't get it.....does anyone know why the prices have just about doubled?

I even looked at a Nov 28th/2015 sailing on the Navigator and a smaller balcony room is going for almost $1300.

That's how their sales work. Raise the price 200% then discount it 50%

I would not pay the prices they are asking on many cruises now. I would check out other cruise lines.

You can also book the cruise you want to go on and check for price drops. You are guaranteed the lowest price until final payment. If prices don't go down to what you want to pay cancel BEFORE final payment. I recommend if you do this with a travel agent make sure they are on top of it. If you are booking without a travel agent check prices often.

I would not pay the prices they are asking on many cruises now. I would check out other cruise lines.

I'm glad I have my cruises booked thru the beginning of 2016 except for the 2015 last minute hurricane season bargain one that supposedly won't be there next year:)

Edited by molly361

I'm glad I have my cruises booked thru the beginning of 2016 except for the 2015 last minute hurricane season bargain one that supposedly won't be there next year:)

I feel the same way. When the new itineraries come out next year, I suspect I won't be booking anything if the prices are still crazy.

You can also book the cruise you want to go on and check for price drops. You are guaranteed the lowest price until final payment. If prices don't go down to what you want to pay cancel BEFORE final payment. I recommend if you do this with a travel agent make sure they are on top of it. If you are booking without a travel agent check prices often.

I completely agree. We did this with our cruise on FOS and our price now is several thousand dollars lower than when we booked! Definitely the way to go to book a RCCL cruise. :D

As to the reason prices are so high, there are a number or explanations. For one, the cruise industry has been making a comeback after the bad economy and for a while, Ebola, lowered the prices for a period of time. Another reason could be that FOS is being refurbished in January, thus RCCL has decided to treat it as a "new" ship, which they charge more for.

People constantly give this advice. The problem is that if people are booking hoping for a drop and the ship appears to be selling well then there won't be any price drops. If RCI found themselves with an empty ship 3 months before sailing the prices would drop like a rock.

If you can go 11/19/15 balconies start at $833- That historically is a lower priced week since it is right after Thanksgiving.

:confused:

Freedom of the Seas sails on Sundays, and November 19, 2015, is a Thursday, and it's a week before Thanksgiving.

You can also book the cruise you want to go on and check for price drops. You are guaranteed the lowest price until final payment...
Not true if the lower price is for "New Bookings Only". More and more the lower prices have that restriction. I am willing to play their game. Six of the eight weeks I have cruised thus far in 2014 were new bookings AFTER final payment. Give me a good deal and I'm on-board, otherwise I'll look elsewhere.

Thom

PS A quick check shows that Molly361 made a one stroke typo. The 11/29/15 Fos has $833 balconies.

Edited by TravelerThom