Just booked a Christmas cruise on Explorer. First time on RCL for a CCL VIP. Advice?

Lady_Jag

Hi!

I just booked a 4-day cruise out of port Canaveral on Explorer of the Seas last night for me hubby and our 8 year old daughter.

We've sailed multiple times with carnival and once on Disney, but never royal until now. So now what?!?

Need advice on:

1. Any way to determine our GTY cabin #?

2. Reserving shows?

3. My time dining info?

4. Kids club?

5. Labadi?

6. Pool temps?

7. Door decorations? Are they allowed if secured with magnets/twine?

8. Is the 3rd bed a bunk or trundle?

9. Any other tips? (We don't really drink alcohol so don't need a bar package.)

Thanks!

Some of the answers to your questions will depend on your GTY room assignment. This can be assigned anytime from booking until the date of the cruise. For some cabins the 3rd bed will be a bunk style [pullman] bed. Others have a sofa bed. Which category of GTY cabin did you reserve?

You used to need to reserve tickets for the ice shows. However, I have read they are now assigned according to your muster station and then there is another show if the other time does not suit you.

Have you logged on [or even discovered] My Cruises on the Royal Caribbean website? This is where you can see your room assignment, buy a soda package, etc.

Labadee is RCL's private "island.' [really a peninsula] This is one of our favorite stops. Check out the Ports of Call section of Cruise critic for more info on this.

edit: The doors are metal--so many pax use magnet decorations from the dollar store.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Hi!

I just booked a 4-day cruise out of port Canaveral on Explorer of the Seas last night for me hubby and our 8 year old daughter.

We've sailed multiple times with carnival and once on Disney, but never royal until now. So now what?!?

Need advice on:

1. Any way to determine our GTY cabin #?

2. Reserving shows?

3. My time dining info?

4. Kids club?

5. Labadi?

6. Pool temps?

7. Door decorations? Are they allowed if secured with magnets/twine?

9. Any other tips? (We don't really drink alcohol so don't need a bar package.)

Thanks!

1. Guarantee cabins can be assigned anytime from a couple hours after making the reservation until arriving at the pier. Once assigned you can change for any available cabin that is in the exact same category.

2. No show reservations can be made ahead of time for the Explorer. Once on board there will be instructions on how to make reservations for the ice show.

7. No problem with using magnets for door decorations.

8. Third bed could be a sofa bed or a Pullman. It will depend on category assigned. You can tell by the deck plans.

Enjoy the holiday.:)

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Some of the answers to your questions will depend on your GTY room assignment. This can be assigned anytime from booking until the date of the cruise. For some cabins the 3rd bed will be a bunk style [pullman] bed. Others have a sofa bed. Which category of GTY cabin did you reserve?

You used to need to reserve tickets for the ice shows. However, I have read they are now assigned according to your muster station and then there is another show if the other time does not suit you.

Have you logged on [or even discovered] My Cruises on the Royal Caribbean website? This is where you can see your room assignment, buy a soda package, etc.

Labadee is RCL's private "island.' [really a peninsula] This is one of our favorite stops. Check out the Ports of Call section of Cruise critic for more info on this.

Thank you! Interior was sold out and Outside (ov) was all that was left in our price range. So it's an ov gty.

I'll check out the site when I'm on my laptop. Thanks!

Hope this help - see answers in red... :)

Hi!

Need advice on:

1. Any way to determine our GTY cabin #? No, should find out a few days or so prior

2. Reserving shows? Only for Ice show

3. My time dining info? Just show up, times in daily compass, need to do pre-paid gratuity for MTD

4. Kids club? dont have any so cant advise.

5. Labadi? check excursions on RCCL site, or just go to beach, get chairs etc no charge, and free BarBQue lunch on island

6. Pool temps? pools are heated

7. Door decorations? Are they allowed if secured with magnets/twine? Yes

9. Any other tips? (We don't really drink alcohol so don't need a bar package.) get a soda package, good deal if no alcohol - get on board or pre-order on RCCL site

Thanks!

Thank you! Interior was sold out and Outside (ov) was all that was left in our price range. So it's an ov gty.

I'll check out the site when I'm on my laptop. Thanks!

Most of the Oceanview cabins are on decks 2 and 3. However, there are a few sprinkled around on the other decks--most far forward or aft. You will find sofa beds and pullman beds in this cabin type. You will need for your assignment.

...what's the required attire for formal night? Tie? Dress? Or slacks/polo? Trying to keep our bags down to just 2 carry ons. Thanks!

There is no "required attire", merely a suggested dress code which says suit or tux for men, cocktail dress or gown for women, but we saw very few tuxes and gowns on our recent Explorer cruise. You absolutely do not have to take along formal wear, per sé. You will look wonderful in the alternatives you already mentioned and hopefully they fit in your carry-ons! Makes for a nice light trip. :)

In my opinion, the best free coffee on the ship is in the Café Promenade, in large thermoses at the back. You can add a little hot water if you like and they also have various tea bags, and hot chocolate mix. Blow your diet with one of their Cheesecake Pops! OH MY!!! :D

Have fun.

There is no "required attire", merely a suggested dress code which says suit or tux for men, cocktail dress or gown for women, but we saw very few tuxes and gowns on our recent Explorer cruise. You absolutely do not have to take along formal wear, per sé. You will look wonderful in the alternatives you already mentioned and hopefully they fit in your carry-ons! Makes for a nice light trip. :)

In my opinion, the best free coffee on the ship is in the Café Promenade, in large thermoses at the back. You can add a little hot water if you like and they also have various tea bags, and hot chocolate mix. Blow your diet with one of their Cheesecake Pops! OH MY!!! :D

Have fun.

Oooo! Hubby loves cake pops and cheesecake, so a cheesecake pop might make it a struggle to get him off the ship when the cruise is over! ;-)

Good to know about the tea, too - I'm not a coffee drinker, but do enjoy a cup of hot tea! Speaking of tea, is there a tea time on sea days, like with Carnival?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lady_Jag

Speaking of tea, is there a tea time on sea days, like with Carnival?

No, sorry. There is nothing like Afternoon Tea Service like on Princess and Carnival (I'm guessing, from your comment). There are "Afternoon Snacks" in the Windjammer buffet and tea is available 24 hours, but no dedicated tea service.

Just off Explorer and had a great time. Temps were warm in theater and cool in other places so I layered. Ice show is best we have seen on a cruise. We had a headliner who used to be in Vegas. He was a singer, dancer and entertainer and very, very good. Sings all kinds of music for all ages.Don't remember his name and they didn't saw what kind of entertainer he was in compass. He only did 1 show at 7:30.

Windjammer has different food on each side so be sure and walk all the way around the buffet. Asian not always in same place. Pizza and Hamburgers and Hot dogs in back.

70's party on promenade at 10pm is lots of fun and they throw out neon lights.

Time changes in Cozumel and can be confusing so check carefully. We didn't get the notice when it changed back.

My time dining helps if you make reservations. Don't go at 7:30 as usually long lines.Portifino is very good and relaxing. Worth the service charge.

You will have fun with friendly and helpful crew.