freedom of the Seas arrival is delayed

I think is a legitimate point.. @ Retired Leo.. It looks like you live in Florida, so although the change in ports might be somewhat disappointing, you did not spend thousands of dollars to ARRIVE to port. We came from Canada and this was a huge trip for us. Imagine if you planned a trip to Canada and they brought you around the northern US states.. I suspect you'd be raising a little ruckess too. Life happens and things do not always go as planned, but it is how companies handle those changes in plans that make all the difference. I checked, and noticed there was space available on other Royal Caribbean ships. Since it cost us 3000.00 just to make it to port with air, car, hotel etc, I was more than willing to drive to Miami to catch the itenerary we had payed and planned for - only to be told, we were already on the roster.. (This is a polite way of saying, it would be inconvenient for RCCL to make the changes) UNACCEPTABLE!!!! If they cannot deliver what we paid for, there should be the option for a refund. I wouldn't pay for a truck and receive a car and not complain, or for a steak dinner and receive a hamburger and not say something - and this is the same thing. Please, try and understand not everyone lives just hours or less from port and that money does not come freely to some. This may have been a once in a lifetime experience - and folks did not get what they paid for. For us personally.. with travel costs and cruise - we spent 5900.00 we will get approx 700.00 back towards a future cruise.... not enough

I think is a legitimate point.. @ Retired Leo.. It looks like you live in Florida, so although the change in ports might be somewhat disappointing, you did not spend thousands of dollars to ARRIVE to port. We came from Canada and this was a huge trip for us. Imagine if you planned a trip to Canada and they brought you around the northern US states.. I suspect you'd be raising a little ruckess too. Life happens and things do not always go as planned, but it is how companies handle those changes in plans that make all the difference. I checked, and noticed there was space available on other Royal Caribbean ships. Since it cost us 3000.00 just to make it to port with air, car, hotel etc, I was more than willing to drive to Miami to catch the itenerary we had payed and planned for - only to be told, we were already on the roster.. (This is a polite way of saying, it would be inconvenient for RCCL to make the changes) UNACCEPTABLE!!!! If they cannot deliver what we paid for, there should be the option for a refund. I wouldn't pay for a truck and receive a car and not complain, or for a steak dinner and receive a hamburger and not say something - and this is the same thing. Please, try and understand not everyone lives just hours or less from port and that money does not come freely to some. This may have been a once in a lifetime experience - and folks did not get what they paid for. For us personally.. with travel costs and cruise - we spent 5900.00 we will get approx 700.00 back towards a future cruise.... not enough

I understand and don't mean to minimize the frustration you feel about the changes in itinerary and substitutions of ports. However, if you truly feel its UNACCEPTABLE and the $700 compensation is NOT ENOUGH then you should really consider not doing any additional cruises in the future. EVERY cruise line has as part of their contracts (which you agreed to) that they reserve the right to make itinerary or port changes as necessary. The $700 you received was above and beyond what they were obligated to provide, and was done in an attempt to appease their customers and make them happy. Since there are about 1800 cabins on Freedom, that cost RCI $700 x 1800, or a bit over 1.25 MILLION $$, not an insignificant amount.

I understand and don't mean to minimize the frustration you feel about the changes in itinerary and substitutions of ports. However, if you truly feel its UNACCEPTABLE and the $700 compensation is NOT ENOUGH then you should really consider not doing any additional cruises in the future. EVERY cruise line has as part of their contracts (which you agreed to) that they reserve the right to make itinerary or port changes as necessary. The $700 you received was above and beyond what they were obligated to provide, and was done in an attempt to appease their customers and make them happy. Since there are about 1800 cabins on Freedom, that cost RCI $700 x 1800, or a bit over 1.25 MILLION $$, not an insignificant amount.

I agree with you. However, I think Shanaid brings up a interesting point. Another ship (belonging to the same company) was doing a similar itinerary. Why not let people who are interested in doing so transfer to the other ship as long as there is room to do so? RCI is out nothing and a customer is happy. That seems like a nice compromise. RCI has certainly been know to let customers change ships, and offer incentives to do so, when it has been in RCI best interest.

And before other posters jump on the bandwagon.... I have read the cruise contract many times over. I know what it says.;):) It is a bit odd, to reference Shanaid's post again, that the cruise industry is one of the few I can think of that can provide a product very different from the one purchased and the consumer really has little recourse.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Why is Freedom of the Seas in San Juan, PR. According to RCI itinerary they are suppose to be in St. Thomas.

I am really worried. We have a cruise scheduled for March 8th 2015 and I keep reading about problems with this ship.

I don't know about the first part of your question, but don't worry about your cruise in March. After dry dock, the ship should be almost as good as new. We just got off, and are booked again for next November. Of all the ships we have sailed, Freedom is still our favorite. :)

Why is Freedom of the Seas in San Juan, PR. According to RCI itinerary they are suppose to be in St. Thomas.

I am really worried. We have a cruise scheduled for March 8th 2015 and I keep reading about problems with this ship.

At their current reduced speed, they wouldn't be able to dock in St. Thomas for several hours after they passed Puerto Rico, and they're getting to San Juan in the afternoon, so it would be almost dark by the time they got to St. Thomas.

Has anyone actually received the letter with the future cruise credit amount?

I was wondering the same thing.. We have not yet received a letter. I did call RCCL before Christmas, and was informed they have 30 days to send the compensation letter - so we should expect it by December 30th. When I asked her about the 25% off a future cruise - and told her that was what we were told on the ship, she asked me if I had it in writing! She said compensation had not yet been decided - so i am a bit concerned it is not going to happen.

I was wondering the same thing.. We have not yet received a letter. I did call RCCL before Christmas, and was informed they have 30 days to send the compensation letter - so we should expect it by December 30th. When I asked her about the 25% off a future cruise - and told her that was what we were told on the ship, she asked me if I had it in writing! She said compensation had not yet been decided - so i am a bit concerned it is not going to happen.

I was on Freedom Nov.30, I got a letter at when I checked in "We will be providing each guest with a future cruise certificate for 25% of the cruise fare paid for your November 30, 2014, Freedom of the Seas sailing. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on any Royal Caribbean ship within the next year. Future cruise certificates will be mailed to your home address or travel agent within six to eight weeks."

• 3 weeks later...
I was on Freedom Nov.30, I got a letter at when I checked in "We will be providing each guest with a future cruise certificate for 25% of the cruise fare paid for your November 30, 2014, Freedom of the Seas sailing. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on any Royal Caribbean ship within the next year. Future cruise certificates will be mailed to your home address or travel agent within six to eight weeks."

Yikes.. I did not receive the letter.. have you received the certificate yet?

I have been on ships with a change of ports, but this was a change of cruise type.. it went from a Caribbean cruise to a Bahamas cruise.

Its about the travel... this is not a quick jaunt.

On the flip side.. Lets say you booked an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver and paid to fly stay etc.. and then found out (the night before) that you were going to criuse British Columbia and not go to Alaska. The cruiseline had 5 other ships that were going to Alaska that day that were not full - but would not allow you to change. Would you feel entitled to compensation?

Edited by shanaid73