Surf and Turf vs Beef Wellington?

tjcletsgo

Well the above post isn't even remotely pretentious. LOL

Oops, and there I was trying to be helpful and avoid you being surprised and disappointed when you don't get what you expect in Europe.

Just don't order Filet Mignon over here. You will be in for a very big surprise!!!

Edited by Corfe Mixture
wrong spelling of Filet

All this talk about pate in a Beef Wellington is most interesting to us Europeans as we do not use pate in Beef Wellington, and certainly not fois gras, so if you come to Europe and order Beef Wellington you are likely to be very surprised.

For information only, and not saying one is right and the other is wrong, a European Beef Wellington has a coating of 'mushroom duxelles' which consists of finely chopped mushrooms and shallots, perhaps with a little cream, and mixed into a paste and then the pastry.

If you want fois gras with your beef in Europe, you really need to order a Tournedos Rossini, but it will be topped with a slice of hot fois gras and only fois gras, but note it not be wrapped in pastry.

If anyone in France replaced fois gras with a pate and called it Tournedos Rossini, Gioachino Rossini would probably turn in his grave.

Beef Wellington, a British dish Never has used 'Pate" its a mushroom duxelle of shallots and mushrooms sautéed with cognac ...NEVER cream and reduced

Americans eat the classic Wellington..... not with pate. Someone must have been confused by the thin layer between the meat and pastry.....

Now don't be like the jerk I saw in a dining room who complained his Wellington was not well done.... because it is served medium rare......

If it were served well done it would be called" Beef Abomination"

If you want lobster king crab, Langostine , Wellington, Rossini, Then you need to cruise other lines like Regent and Oceania where at no charge it is available every day in every dining venue ...You can grab a lobster and filet sandwich at the pool grill !!!

Beef Wellington, a British dish Never has used 'Pate" its a mushroom duxelle of shallots and mushrooms sautéed with cognac ...NEVER cream and reduced

Americans eat the classic Wellington..... not with pate. Someone must have been confused by the thin layer between the meat and pastry.....

Now don't be like the jerk I saw in a dining room who complained his Wellington was not well done.... because it is served medium rare......

If it were served well done it would be called" Beef Abomination"

If you want lobster king crab, Langostine , Wellington, Rossini, Then you need to cruise other lines like Regent and Oceania where at no charge it is available every day in every dining venue ...You can grab a lobster and filet sandwich at the pool grill !!!

Guess you need to correct this.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_Wellington

Oops, and there I was trying to be helpful and avoid you being surprised and disappointed when you don't get what you expect in Europe.

Just don't order Filet Mignon over here. You will be in for a very big surprise!!!

I noticed on a Cunard cruise some people from Australia would pronounce the "t" in filet, here in the states the "t" is silent. How is it pronounced in Europe? thanks.

I noticed on a Cunard cruise some people from Australia would pronounce the "t" in filet, here in the states the "t" is silent. How is it pronounced in Europe? thanks.

"Europe" is a big place. In the UK, I think I've generally heard "FILL-ET" but in France, where the word comes from, the "t" is generally silent. Now there's Italy, Germany, Spain, etc., lots of other countries in Europe and I imagine there are words in the respective languages to describe the thing.;)

[ATTACH]332828[/ATTACH] Here's a pic of my Beef Wellington from Friday night on the Emerald Princess. I also got the lobster too. [ATTACH]332829[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly. Notice there is virtually nothing between the pastry and the beef. So no matter what is supposed to be there it is not much. I doubt seriously that it is Pâté.

Apparently you liked it as did we. No Lobster on the Golden shorty cruise though. :(

If it is a "Pâté" on Princess it isn't a liver based one. We tasted no liver flavor in our meal on the Golden. I think that is what got this whole discussion started.

I am one of those people, who when he sees pate on a menu orders it without hesitation. Ditto seared foie gras. Ditto beef Wellington.

If there was pate in the beef Wellington I ate on the Ocean Princess two months ago it was wearing a disguise.

I will order it again on the Ruby in January and cut a cross section for photo analysis. If it has a discrete pate then I won't be complaining. I'll ask for seconds!

I watched Gordon Ramsay make one from scratch on The F Word and he didn't use pate but it may be a regional thing (i.e France).

Norris

I am one of those people, who when he sees pate on a menu orders it without hesitation. Ditto seared foie gras. Ditto beef Wellington.

If there was pate in the beef Wellington I ate on the Ocean Princess two months ago it was wearing a disguise.

I will order it again on the Ruby in January and cut a cross section for photo analysis. If it has a discrete pate then I won't be complaining. I'll ask for seconds!

I watched Gordon Ramsay make one from scratch on The F Word and he didn't use pate but it may be a regional thing (i.e France).

Norris

Norris, your wonderful pictures and comments about what you had on your Ocean Princess review is what got my wife and me interested in trying it. Thank you for your review!! :cool:

Norris, your wonderful pictures and comments about what you had on your Ocean Princess review is what got my wife and me interested in trying it. Thank you for your review!! :cool:

Thanks for the kind words re my long Ocean ramble! It was good to have you contributing as we went along.

15565504075_4f6cc8e196_b.jpg

Beef Wellington on the Ocean Princess

Norris

Thanks for the kind words re my long Ocean ramble! It was good to have you contributing as we went along.

Norris

Yep, that was the picture......lol!

IMHO, after seeing that picture I think anyone who likes a nice beef dish would try it. After all, if it isn't to your liking, order something else. I bet a lot of folks would be surprised if they tried it.

Edited by ar1950

Norris

OMG, I'm getting that next weekend! With a lobster/prawn on the side!:D

Janie

Fillet steak sounds the 't' but Filet Mignon (being French) does not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You don't believe whats written in Wikipedia, do you?

I googled Beef Wellington and only one recipe in more than a dozen included pate. Looks like that Wikipedia entry does need to be corrected.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Which do you prefer? The shellfish on cruise ships is pretty dismal :eek: and I've never had Beef Wellington so I'm leaning towards that.

Which do you like better?:D

Janie

It would depend. The only time I ordered Beef Wellington, was in a shore restaurant and it was prepared with a liver pate. I hated it. I understand that the Beef Wellington can also be prepared with a mushroom pate. I've seen a recipe for that and I intend to fix it for New Years. So it depends.

I have to agree with you Dorset Cruiser. I wouldn't trust Wikipedia as the authority for many things and especially not for cooking. My experience with real Beef Wellington has always included a duxelles of mushrooms and shallots. I have made it a number of times here at home and that's what I used based on a very old recipe handed down to me. The last time I tried Beef Wellington on a Princess ship a few years ago I sent it back because it was awful and not really beef wellington.

My husband loves the Beef Wellington on Princess (and he has confirmed he "thought" it was more of a mushroom pate/mush). I love the surf and turf (the large shrimp). The second formal night is normally the only formal night we attend for these two dishes...and sometimes the only night we attend the MDR.

I have to agree with you Dorset Cruiser. I wouldn't trust Wikipedia as the authority for many things and especially not for cooking. My experience with real Beef Wellington has always included a duxelles of mushrooms and shallots. I have made it a number of times here at home and that's what I used based on a very old recipe handed down to me. The last time I tried Beef Wellington on a Princess ship a few years ago I sent it back because it was awful and not really beef wellington.

The Beef Wellington served on our last two Princess cruises was inedible with mushy pastry and 'grey' beef 😔

No, not at all....but I have had it with liver pate....never with prosciutto, although I would probably like it.

I, too, believe that Princess started to use eye of the round beef instead of filet, a few years ago.