Walking/Shopping in George Town

Raxter54

DW and I will be in George Town on our first cruise. We haven't scheduled any excursions, we are wanting to walk around the town, do some shopping, grab some lunch. I know there is a shopping area around the tender pier, but those seem to be mostly the RCI recommended shops (Diamond International, etc). Is there a shopping area that we could get to by bus/taxi that would have a more local flavor and would be less touristy? Also, any recommendations for a relatively cheap spot for lunch? We're not much into seafood, but would love some jerk chicken/pork/etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all might ave.

DW and I will be in George Town on our first cruise. We haven't scheduled any excursions, we are wanting to walk around the town, do some shopping, grab some lunch. I know there is a shopping area around the tender pier, but those seem to be mostly the RCI recommended shops (Diamond International, etc). Is there a shopping area that we could get to by bus/taxi that would have a more local flavor and would be less touristy? Also, any recommendations for a relatively cheap spot for lunch? We're not much into seafood, but would love some jerk chicken/pork/etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all might ave.

What is around the tender is probably all you'll find that is within walking distance.

GC is expensive...you will NOT find any "bargains" on the "banking capital of the Caribbean"....you may find some cute souvenirs !

Not looking for bargains. Just want to enjoy the novelty of walking around in a foreign country for just the second time in my life :)

And getting some cute souvenirs :D

since their dollar is 1.25 US. I only found good liquor prices at Tortuga and there's an extra discount before 11 am They only deliver to the ship We like the Guy Harvey shop for interesting clothes and his restaurant across the street upstairs is quite good. Everything is close to the tender dock.

Elizabethan Square may be something you'd be interested in for shopping, but it's not walkable. I've not been there, just read about it. We may check it out when we are there in a few weeks.

Also, we're probably going to eat here: http://www.sunshinesuites.com/restaurant/

Highly reviewed and reasonable. Seymour's is also well-rated for jerk chicken.

Elizabethan Square may be something you'd be interested in for shopping, but it's not walkable. I've not been there, just read about it. We may check it out when we are there in a few weeks.

Also, we're probably going to eat here: http://www.sunshinesuites.com/restaurant/

Highly reviewed and reasonable. Seymour's is also well-rated for jerk chicken.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'd really like to hear how your stop in George Town went.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

There are a couple of restaurants listed here (bottom right of the page). Guy Harvey's is one of them.

http://www.caymanfoodtours.com/tours/taste-of-george-town-tour/

We are doing this tour in March and are looking forward to it.

We will be there on the Serenade March 4th. I've heard good things about Guy Harvey's restaurant. Have to check it out.

Elizabethan Square may be something you'd be interested in for shopping, but it's not walkable. I've not been there, just read about it.

Do you have the link to the article you read? I've driven by there numerous times and can't think of anything worth stopping for other than maybe the Thai place... http://www.mpcl.ky/about-elizabethan-square

If you're looking for slightly less tourist-y (but still a little pricy) shopping, I'd walk up the path from Royal Palms to Camana Bay. Some good restaurants there too. http://www.camanabay.com

There's also a small craft market near Paradise Restaurant, to the right of the port area, and a couple of good souvenir shops along the way there.

Overall, Cayman really doesn't have the kind of permanent "straw market" local craft zone that's found on other islands, especially in the George Town port area and Seven Mile Beach. Think mainland banks and fast food chains, tourist-focused shops, etc. We often eat at Burger King, KFC, or Wendy's if we want a quick meal, and the three stores I seem to spend the most time in are Fosters IGA (grocery chain), Cost-u-Less (think Costco) and AL Thompson (a local version of a Home Depot). We love Cayman...it's our home away from home, with safe streets, clean water and friendly people...but it's a very different experience than ports like Ocho Rios or Cozumel...

If you're looking for slightly less tourist-y (but still a little pricy) shopping, I'd walk up the path from Royal Palms to Camana Bay. Some good restaurants there too. http://www.camanabay.com

There's also a small craft market near Paradise Restaurant, to the right of the port area, and a couple of good souvenir shops along the way there.

We love Cayman...it's our home away from home, with safe streets, clean water and friendly people...but it's a very different experience than ports like Ocho Rios or Cozumel...

Bookbabe - Thank you for the information. Since you know Georgetown, had a few questions I hope you could answer:

1. Is the Cayman Islands National Museum close to the tender port?

2. Camana Bay looks interesting, but not within walking distance of the port. How easy is it to get a taxi, and what might the cost be to and from Camana Bay?

3. Is the Hard Rock Cafe in Georgetown operating? Wanted to get a t-shirt from there, but the Hard Rock Cafe website doesn't give any information on the cafe in Georgetown,

Will definitely check out the craft market and souvenir shops by the Paradise. Thanks again!

Edited by Raxter54

Bookbabe - Thank you for the information. Since you know Georgetown, had a few questions I hope you could answer:

1. Is the Cayman Islands National Museum close to the tender port?

2. Camana Bay looks interesting, but not within walking distance of the port. How easy is it to get a taxi, and what might the cost be to and from Camana Bay?

3. Is the Hard Rock Cafe in Georgetown operating? Wanted to get a t-shirt from there, but the Hard Rock Cafe website doesn't give any information on the cafe in Georgetown,

Will definitely check out the craft market and souvenir shops by the Paradise. Thanks again!

The museum is very close to the port, practically across the street depending on which tender dock you arrive at. Just ask one of the staff at the gates of the port area (or I think there's an info desk) to point you in the right direction. You'll pass it on your way to the craft market.

Camana Bay is easy walking distance from Royal Palms on Seven Mile Beach, which is about a $5pp taxi ride or a $2.50 bus ride. I'm sure you could get a taxi all the way there, but the path to Camana Bay is actually a nice walk, depending on the weather, along a nature sidewalk with local plants labelled, etc.

As Capt_BJ said, the Hard Rock is currently closed, but there are rumors it's reopening at some point. Best bet is to glance to the right as you leave the port area, see if you can see the signage. It's by the Harley Davidson store, right along the waterfront, so it's relatively easy to spot. (Just past the museum as you head away from the port.)

Google maps will show you all of the various locations if you're interested in seeing the relative distances.

Edited by bookbabe

Do you have the link to the article you read? I've driven by there numerous times and can't think of anything worth stopping for other than maybe the Thai place... http://www.mpcl.ky/about-elizabethan-square

Here is the short article I saw: http://www.10best.com/destinations/cayman-islands/grand-cayman/all/shopping/elizabethan-square/. Never having been there, I defer to your hands-on advice, of course!

Good info on the craft market too, thank you. We'll check that out as well.

Hard Rock has been closed for some time - seems they weren't a 'real' Hard Rock ...

but recently it was rumored to be reopening but no date or timeline was given.

That explains what I saw on the Hard Rock website. There was a listing for Coming Soon, and Cayman Islands was listed. Wonder when?