Anytime Dining Question

cambriah

Well, unless all manners have disappeared (which I'm sometimes convinced of), IMO it would be rude to not wait for your tablemate's to eat the same course at the same time.

We love Anytime Dining. We don't mind waiting for a table (it's never been more than 20 minutes) and sometimes we share a table, sometimes we have a table for two. When we share, we follow the "courses" rule. When alone we eat at our own pace.

Personally, I find making reservations for Anytime Dining to defeat the purpose. If you want to eat at the same time every night, use Traditional.

I've heard that Traditional Diner's have come to Anytime Dining, but that was in the beginning. Now they check your cruise card which shows which dining time you have.

Here we go again. More rules no one knows about for others to try to make someone else happy.

I don't think its about "making someone else happy" I think its about common courtesy.

Yes, you would be right but for the fact that those who subscribe to the "I don't care about anyone but me" crowd, common courtesy means, you should be nice to them when they act boorish.....

Depends on the ship. You call in the morning to make a reservation for that evening. Sometimes they will let you have a standing reservation for the whole cruise, but then if you want that, you might as well do traditional.

People make this and similar statements all the time and it isn't true UNLESS you really want to eat at 5:30-6:00 or at 8:30. If you prefer to eat at 6:30, 7:00 or 7:30, then traditional dining does NOT work. Anytime dining allows you to eat when you want, with or without a reservation, by yourself, with others you have chosen, or with new people. On our 28(29!) days on the Crown, we started out calling each morning to reserve a time. Later in the cruise, as we got to know the Head Waiter/Maitre' d and our favorite wait staff, it was no longer necessary. Our group would arrive around 7:00, and go into the 'reservations' line. As soon as they saw us, they'd wave us in saying "your table is ready". Only once or twice did we have to wait about 10 minutes. On a few sea days, we let them know in advance that we would not be there for dinner. We had the best of both worlds - a great table with a superb wait staff, tablemates WE chose, at the time we wanted to eat.

We just got off the Royal. I called to make reservations for four in ATD and was told the only available times were 5:30 and 7:30. To eat around 7 you have to go and wait until the first diners finish. So much for "anytime". I never saw anyone check cards for dining assignments. Karen

People make this and similar statements all the time and it isn't true UNLESS you really want to eat at 5:30-6:00 or at 8:30. If you prefer to eat at 6:30, 7:00 or 7:30, then traditional dining does NOT work. Anytime dining allows you to eat when you want, with or without a reservation, by yourself, with others you have chosen, or with new people. On our 28(29!) days on the Crown, we started out calling each morning to reserve a time. Later in the cruise, as we got to know the Head Waiter/Maitre' d and our favorite wait staff, it was no longer necessary. Our group would arrive around 7:00, and go into the 'reservations' line. As soon as they saw us, they'd wave us in saying "your table is ready". Only once or twice did we have to wait about 10 minutes. On a few sea days, we let them know in advance that we would not be there for dinner. We had the best of both worlds - a great table with a superb wait staff, tablemates WE chose, at the time we wanted to eat.
May I ask if the reason "it was no longer necessary" to make reservation involved $$$'s ?

If I'm not clear enough , did you significantly tip the Head Waiter/Maitre' d ?

And here I always thought those who used the term boorish knew what the definition of snobbish is.

So what you are saying is that as long as there is no physical harm to anyone, people can do as they please and rules of common curtesy and etiquette no longer have any meaning?

So what you are saying is that as long as there is no physical harm to anyone, people can do as they please and rules of common curtesy and etiquette no longer have any meaning?

No, no, no. Certain people can do as they please. The rest of us are supposed to continue to show courtesy to them since certain people are entitled and the rest of us aren't. :rolleyes: You haven't been paying attention, AKman. ;)

May I ask if the reason "it was no longer necessary" to make reservation involved $$$'s ?

If I'm not clear enough , did you significantly tip the Head Waiter/Maitre' d ?

There is no need to "bribe" the Headwaiter/Maitre d' to get good service on Princess.

There is no need to "bribe" the Headwaiter/Maitre d' to get good service on Princess.
True but this was not a question about good service. I was asking how a group were

able to have a "standing reservation" for AT dining. This doesn't seem to be the norm.

Good service still is.

No, no, no. Certain people can do as they please. The rest of us are supposed to continue to show courtesy to them since certain people are entitled and the rest of us aren't. :rolleyes: You haven't been paying attention, AKman. ;)

Ah! :D

Not what I said at all. Allow me to expand, those who use the word boorish should know what snobbish means. It seems kind of self explanatory to those who understand.

Not what I said at all. Allow me to expand, those who use the word boorish should know what snobbish means. It seems kind of self explanatory to those who understand.

OK.. I used the word boorish and I do know the meaning of snobbish. The two don't really go together. Are you saying that people who use the term boorish are snobs?

Boorish means someone who is unmannered. Snob means someone with an exaggerated respect of social position or wealth.

The two don't go together. You can be a peasant and recognize bad manners....

We go anytime now, even though we enjoy company on a large table. The crunch came when a couple ordered two main meals. It does take longer anyway on a large table, but this was a wait too long for us. Saying that, I do like the tables for two on princess, close enough where you can chat with the table next door if they seem open to conversation, but you get served at your own pace.

I know what "boorish" means. I know what "snobbish" means. I know what "troll" means.

Yes, you would be right but for the fact that those who subscribe to the "I don't care about anyone but me" crowd, common courtesy means, you should be nice to them when they act boorish.....

When growing up we were always taught to ask "May we be excused from the table?" But only if there was a pressing need. This is still considered proper etiquette. Otherwise, go to the Buffet !

And here I always thought those who used the term boorish knew what the definition of snobbish is.

Respect for others is never snobbish! Rudeness can be overlooked in a 3 year old, but never in an adult.

Do you also play with your iPhone during dinner? :rolleyes:

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

I had to go back and check the original post from the OP as I am signed up for AT on my upcoming cruise. Have any of you EVER considered the possibility that some of us are AT because TD is full????:confused: Here I thought I might learn something, but, nope, just as lively as the tip debates.

I had to go back and check the original post from the OP as I am signed up for AT on my upcoming cruise. Have any of you EVER considered the possibility that some of us are AT because TD is full????:confused: Here I thought I might learn something, but, nope, just as lively as the tip debates.

Yes, that happens. People get forced into ATD. I talked about that recently on another thread (I think.) I have narrowly missed that fate myself.

Yes, that happens. People get forced into ATD. I talked about that recently on another thread (I think.) I have narrowly missed that fate myself.

I have had this conversation with numerous Maitre d's over the years - when there is such a demand for traditional dining, and so many forced to take ATD because they cannot get traditional - wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just have more traditional dining??? I know.....there I go thinking again!?

OK.. I used the word boorish and I do know the meaning of snobbish. The two don't really go together. Are you saying that people who use the term boorish are snobs?

Boorish means someone who is unmannered. Snob means someone with an exaggerated respect of social position or wealth.

The two don't go together. You can be a peasant and recognize bad manners....

And most peasants recognize snobs and their behavior which is often boorish.

When growing up we were always taught to ask "May we be excused from the table?" But only if there was a pressing need. This is still considered proper etiquette. Otherwise, go to the Buffet !

Respect for others is never snobbish! Rudeness can be overlooked in a 3 year old, but never in an adult.

Do you also play with your iPhone during dinner? :rolleyes:

I know what a troll is also and it does not go with boorish or snobs. Now you are down to demeaning people. As I have said before peasants know snobbish behavior.

Respect is earned nor demanded.

Edited by Potstech