Carnival - Amber Cove-Dominican Republic

CarolRoy

I see that Carnival has a new pier in the DR at Amber Cove. It cost over $65 Million. Have not seen any cruises from Carnival that will dock there as of yet. However, I have found one HAL (Neiu Amsterdam) that will dock there in 2016 (cruises at the end of months Jan. Feb. and March 2016). This HAL itin seems ideal for beach lovers. Does anyone have info on Amber Cove?

I see that Carnival has a new pier in the DR at Amber Cove. It cost over $65 Million. Have not seen any cruises from Carnival that will dock there as of yet. However, I have found one HAL (Neiu Amsterdam) that will dock there in 2016 (cruises at the end of months Jan. Feb. and March 2016). This HAL itin seems ideal for beach lovers. Does anyone have info on Amber Cove?

According to Google, Amber Cove is on the Atlantic side of the DR near Puerto Plata. I spent a week at Puerto Plata and really didn't like their beach, much preferred the Punta Cana beaches instead.

There is a Sea World type amusement/interactive park near Puerto Plata that some cruisers might enjoy.

The architects plans call for a two berth pier.

Edited by evandbob

We just got an email that our cruise itinerary was changed. They swapped Nassau for Amber Cove. It's the January 24, 2016 cruise on the Sunshine. I can't wait to see/hear more about this port!

We just got the email today!!

Same with ours on the Victory on December 7, 2015, only we lost HMC in addition to Nassau. Nassau, I couldn't care less about, but had never been to HMC.

here is some info..

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/caribbeans-newest-destination-amber-cove-163400035.html

Amber Cove, an exciting new destination located in the heart of the Dominican Republic's breathtaking North Coast, known as the Amber Coast, just outside the historical town of Puerto Plata – will welcome its first cruise ship when the Carnival Victory arrives on October 6, 2015, for a day-long call.

The visit by Carnival Victory is the first of 37 calls by eight different Carnival ships that will take place between October 2015 and April 2016, accounting for more than 100,000 guests during this period.

Amber Cove will be a featured port on select sailings of Carnival Breeze, Carnival Glory, Carnival Splendor and Carnival Victory from Miami, Carnival Conquest from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Carnival Sunshine and Carnival Valor from Port Canaveral, Fla., and Carnival Fantasy from Charleston, S.C.

Amber%20Cove%20Aerial%20Rendering%205X6%20300%20dpi.jpg

puerto-plata.jpg

Edited by NolaZach

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

No Jamon, no beach right at the docking pier area with Amber Cove. I do believe though that there will be a pool type venue, and I know this cannot ever come close to being as enjoyable to us beach folks:). I am sure there will be beach type excursions available though either through the cruise line or to be booked independently.

I am going there late October, and not yet sure what I will be doing, but it being my first time to the Dominican Republic, I am sure to be booking a tour/excursion somewhere, but am holding off doing so for now.

If you've been to any of Carnival's cookie cutter shopping corrals like Roatan, you will feel very much at home in Amber Cove. Diamonds International and Columbia Emeralds and maybe a Margaritaville, all within a walled secure area.

The Puerto Plata beaches are amongst the worst beach areas in all of DR, La Romana has much better beaches, and of course, Punta Cana outshines them all. If you want a day pass at a resort in Puerto Plata, be advised they are 2 star resorts and rather old.

Cabarete and Sosua have nice character and history, good food and culture, but may be too far from Amber Cove for most cruisers to get to on a day trip. Ocean World nearby is a smaller version of SeaWorld.

• 5 weeks later...

We are leaving this Sunday on the Splendor and it's first stop is Amber Cove. From what I read, it is open and very nice, It has a pool area similar to that of Grand Turk's margaritaville although not as extensive.

I have heard that not all the shops were open in October. There is a link on you tube that a cruiser has posted that shows how nice the pool is there.

I will post some info when I return next week and possibly some pictures.

If you've been to any of Carnival's cookie cutter shopping corrals like Roatan, you will feel very much at home in Amber Cove. Diamonds International and Columbia Emeralds and maybe a Margaritaville, all within a walled secure area.

The Puerto Plata beaches are amongst the worst beach areas in all of DR, La Romana has much better beaches, and of course, Punta Cana outshines them all. If you want a day pass at a resort in Puerto Plata, be advised they are 2 star resorts and rather old.

Cabarete and Sosua have nice character and history, good food and culture, but may be too far from Amber Cove for most cruisers to get to on a day trip. Ocean World nearby is a smaller version of SeaWorld.

Yes we know how much you hate it, thanks again for the glowing NON-Review of the area. So how many times have you been on a Carnival ship to the port, not on a land based vacation, not on another cruise line, not visiting at another time, BUT on an actual Carnival ship that STOPPED at this port AMBER COVE after it has opened?

How many times have you done that?

Sunset leaving amber cove this week on the victory. The port is nice but, not all the stores were open. I don't really shop in port anyway. Pool looked nice but didn't experience it for myself so can't give any tips there. We did the terracross outback excursion. It was an amazing experience. We were taken by open air bus/shuttle, given cold water upon boarding. The ride was about 20 mins. Pedro our guide was awesome. It was 8 atvs, 2people per atv. We got muddy, dirty and had fun doing it. This was not at all what I expected. Off roading is not really my thing. However it was probably the best excursion I've ever done. We drove through the mountains, stopping at a local man's house. He greeted us with fresh coconut which was cracked and we got to drink the water from, then opened up and we ate the jelly inside. Each person got their own. Then we proceeded in to a tiny 2 room shack which was his home. He let us go in and look around. He had a separate structure which was his kitchen and an out house for his toliet. They live very simple. We also stopped at a natural spring than ran from the ocean over the mountains which pooled and created a fresh water spring. We got to swim in it. I felt this tour gave us a unique DR experience. I highly recommend it. I will try and post a few more pics.

1446855833632.jpg.712ac49eccc834847109a76c8b2264c9.jpg

The view from the mountains was amazing. The water from the spring was refreshing( helped getting some mud off lol). Also forgot to mention at the end we were served sandwiches and your choice of drink (including beer.)

1446856749637.jpg.d489ea6244092282fdac52f3fb7105c5.jpg

1446856773837.jpg.9c9d53d0ec50907a0536fd377f01cb6b.jpg

1446856804382.jpg.30165a38b899864d9e83e75e649d8876.jpg

1446856825029.jpg.0730e8b43a558390afd39010be7efe3a.jpg

1446856878583.jpg.6766c21b23d3e5bb2c429af198be276e.jpg