Environmental Concerns/Guilt

stevefrisco

One question has occurred to me: if a couple are sharing, say Oasis of the Seas with perhaps five thousand others for a week, how much more (possibly even less) carbon dioxide would they be putting into the atmosphere than they would have had they stayed home, heated their house, made hot water, drove their car(s), perhaps had a fire in their fireplace, etc., etc., etc.?

When you think of all the activities they are not doing, perhaps their individual shares of what the Oasis contributes represents less of a contribution to global warming than what they would have done had they stayed home -- making their cruising a noble activity.

navybankerteacher

You must be very proud of yourself - but I am not sure why you feel a description of your life-style is at all relevant to this thread. Sure, some of the responses to OP were somewhat harsh - but people have a right to not take fatuous questions all that seriously.

We all respect the environment - some more, some less - in our own ways. But it should be fairly obvious that people on a cruise web site are likely to be interested in cruising, and therefore have come to terms with the impact their activity has on the environment.

I agree :)

What answer would one expect to that question when asked to an internet forum

dedicated to cruising? :D

Edited by sail7seas

One question has occurred to me: if a couple are sharing, say Oasis of the Seas with perhaps five thousand others for a week, how much more (possibly even less) carbon dioxide would they be putting into the atmosphere than they would have had they stayed home, heated their house, made hot water, drove their car(s), perhaps had a fire in their fireplace, etc., etc., etc.?

When you think of all the activities they are not doing, perhaps their individual shares of what the Oasis contributes represents less of a contribution to global warming than what they would have done had they stayed home -- making their cruising a noble activity.

The Oasis uses about 11,400 gallons of fuel per hour at full power according to the source below. This works out to about 14 miles per gallon per passenger, not awful but would you ever buy a car that got only 14 mpg? And of course while on a cruise we tend to travel more distance the we do at home. (Isn't that the point of cruising!:D) In a week on the Oasis probably travels 1,500 to 2,000 miles, or about 200 miles a day. That's one long commute back home! So I think we burn more fuel and emit more pollutants for the time we are on a cruise compared to back home. But hey, it's only one week a year, or two, or three......;)

Again, Thank You fellow cruisers. Eh!;)

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/naval-architecture/100758-cruise-ship-fuel-efficiency/

Edited by DirtyDawg

Does anyone ever feel guilty for cruising (or travel in general) due to the negative impact in the environment?

I've personally resigned myself to just feeling guilty but doing it anyways like I have with meat consumption. Maybe someone else can give me another perspective.

actually they are very eco friendly and are masters at recycling( you should see how well the Navy recycles!) and FTR I think the ships are better at the whole: reusing sheets/towels thing than a land based hotel is.

the WASTE is actually from general pax, not the ship itself. so don't plop half the buffet on your plate, and finish that Umbrella drink and only use one towel at the pool.

no need to feel guilty then.

I would LOVE to swim with the dolphins, but I've read too many reports of the dolphins being depressed and even suicidal (drift to the bottom of the tank and don't come up for air) to participate in a dolphin encounter. If they are in the wild and want to swim with me, that would be great.

Virginia Beach. To be precise, Dam Neck Naval Base( sorry, you need to be military to get access or know someone who is).

while it is illegal to approach them, pods have been known to hang around feeding JUST outside of the lifeguards' range. the coolest sound in the world is listening to them underwater.

Bonus: Dam Neck is the only stretch of Sand that allows booze.

Wow - so much for enlightened discussion. The OP simply asked a question.

Except the OP didn't ask a simple question, they asked a very politically charged question that people have very strong opinions about.

But to answer the OPs question, no I have never felt guilty. Can't think of why I should? Guilt is for when you've done something wrong. There is no wrong in taking a vacation.

As many people have said on many different sites here, it's my vacation and I'll do what I want. I don't feel guilty. I see no reason to feel guilty and if you want to feel guilty, feel free to feel guilty. That is one freedom we still have: the right to enjoy our guilt. Just don't inflict your guilt on me.

Meanwhile I'm going to get into my full size SUV, drive to the corner store and pick up some coffee to enjoy.

Do you people have to just bleed for everything?....Oh my.....my breath adds to the CO2 levels in the atmosphere....is anyone guilty for breathing to much?....maybe if i didn't exert myself so much, I would breath less, and cause less damage to mother earth......if you have resigned yourself to suffering with your "guilt" why do you have to come here looking for validation? Or maybe you could start a thread in the specialty cruising section for "guilt wracked" cruisers.

Does anyone ever feel guilty for cruising (or travel in general) due to the negative impact in the environment? How do you justify your actions? I love cruising and appreciate the efforts companies have made to make the activity more Eco-friendly. However inherently, it is wasteful to overeat, travel by boat, plane and car, enjoy luxuries and other things implicit to travel and cruise travel.

I've personally resigned myself to just feeling guilty but doing it anyways like I have with meat consumption. Maybe someone else can give me another perspective.

Edited by LabGuy64

Seriously steve,

If you really are a cruiser, I would suggest you just stay home. I am sure you can find many "eco-friendly" vacation opertunities, or, take the money you would spend on it to one of the many environmentally based charities hungry for your cash. But PLEASE...if you must cruise, don't pour out your bleeding heart ON the cruise, we are trying to enjoy ourselves.

Thank you for your service to our economy. Does that service mean that in your mind as long as you can afford something it is ethical to do it?

Also, I think they have come a long way but cruising is inherently bad for the environment like most pleasures.

Edited by LabGuy64

Also, I think they have come a long way but cruising is inherently bad for the environment like most pleasures.

Well, by all means, please allow your guilt to overwhelm you and not allow you to take any pleasure from life. Ashes and sackcloth are over there in the corner.

Perhaps you should look into a Windstar cruise, that should allow you to enjoy cruising while assuaging your massive guilt.

Edited by Raxter54

I think you raised an important, timely question and I feel badly about the uncharitable responses you have received, particularly those that criticized you and where you live.

I feel conflicted about cruising and other things in life that I know negatively impact the planet upon which humans and other sentient beings live.

However, I think feeling conflicted, if examined properly, can lead to better life balance. Hubby and I do not buy overpackaged products or unneeded "stuff" that ends up in landfills, we produce very little trash and recycle/reuse like crazy. We practice as green a life as reasonably possible in a modern world and feel mostly okay with our choices. We are always seeking ways to improve, though and that is actually fun and enlightening; knowing our lives are not so much about "things," as they are about our beliefs, essentially, the Buddhist tenet of "the middle way."

I see you are new to Cruise Critic. Welcome!!

Edited by Bookish Angel

I think you raised an important, timely question and I feel badly about the uncharitable responses you have received, particularly those that criticized you and where you live.

I feel conflicted about cruising and other things in life that I know negatively impact the planet upon which humans and other sentient beings live.

However, I think feeling conflicted, if examined properly, can lead to better life balance. Hubby and I do not buy overpackaged products or unneeded "stuff" that ends up in landfills, we produce very little trash and recycle/reuse like crazy. We practice as green a life as reasonably possible in a modern world and feel mostly okay with our choices. We are always seeking ways to improve, though and that is actually fun and enlightening; knowing our lives are not so much about "things..." QUOTE]

I am not the original poster, but I certainly would agree with the above. It is certainly a thoughtful response. It is refreshing to know that some folks do indeed have a social conscience. I do not feel that the OP's question was fatuous at all, although many of the other responses can be categorized as benighted. Unfortunately I expect that they shall continue.

...I feel conflicted about cruising and other things in life that I know negatively impact the planet upon which humans and other sentient beings live...

The OP's original statement was not unlike asking diners in a steak house if they feel conflicted about eating meat.

Environment zealots claim that a cruise ship is the most fuel inefficient form of transportation. And since it's purely for leisurely pleasure - and not real transportation - passenger ships have no right to exist outside of geographic anomalies like Norway.

If one is really conflicted and concerned about whatever activity is harming the environment then don't participate in whatever "it" is. To do otherwise is self justification for hippocracy. (Yeah, I know it's bad but I don't do it that often.)

You are not actually conflicted, being conflicted is really that area where you are as yet undecided as to which direction or action to take. As you have chosen to cruise you should either embrace your choice and be able to enjoy it fully or, rethink your position....Cruising is not one of the "HARD" choices in life where there is perhaps no good resolution. You have chosen to endulge a pleasure and as such should throughly enjoy it....if you do not then.....you obviously think what you are doing is wrong.

However, I think feeling conflicted, if examined properly, can lead to better life balance. Hubby and I do not buy overpackaged products or unneeded "stuff" that ends up in landfills, we produce very little trash and recycle/reuse like crazy. We practice as green a life as reasonably possible in a modern world and feel mostly okay with our choices. We are always seeking ways to improve, though and that is actually fun and enlightening; knowing our lives are not so much about "things..." QUOTE]

I am not the original poster, but I certainly would agree with the above. It is certainly a thoughtful response. It is refreshing to know that some folks do indeed have a social conscience. I do not feel that the OP's question was fatuous at all, although many of the other responses can be categorized as benighted. Unfortunately I expect that they shall continue.

You are not actually conflicted, being conflicted is really that area where you are as yet undecided as to which direction or action to take. As you have chosen to cruise you should either embrace your choice and be able to enjoy it fully or, rethink your position....Cruising is not one of the "HARD" choices in life where there is perhaps no good resolution. You have chosen to endulge a pleasure and as such should throughly enjoy it....if you do not then.....you obviously think what you are doing is wrong.

Good summary. Someone who chooses to cruise has decided that there is no real harm to the environment or else that he does not care if there is-- he has resolved the conflict. To continue to cruise while professing to feel conflict is little more than an exercise in hypocrisy.

Well said......

Good summary. Someone who chooses to cruise has decided that there is no real harm to the environment or else that he does not care if there is-- he has resolved the conflict. To continue to cruise while professing to feel conflict is little more than an exercise in hypocrisy.