Less than 7 days and it is not a cruise!

Trevor Fountain

As the title says. People claiming to have done dozens of cruises, when most are less than 7 days are on the wind-up.

In the UK it has always been traditional for the shorter trips to be referred to as a Mini-Cruise.

In the same way a mini suite isn't really a suite at all, a mini cruise isn't really a cruise.

Latitudes points should be halved for all sailings of less than 7 days. Then Platinum would really recognize the true cruisers. I know some will say you get one point per day on board, but for some it's very easy and cheap to hop on at one of the home ports, for a two day "cruise" to nowhere.

I'd find it pretty embarrassing to declare I'd done fifty cruises if many were just short trips.

I suppose to some my views will be considered controversial, but I'm looking forward to reading others opinions.

Why does this bother you? Does it somehow affect your experience on cruises when you sail? Have you considered that some younger people enjoy cruising but do not always have the time to take off from work, school, or life?

Not everyone "cheats the system" to reach platinum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Why does this bother you? Does it somehow affect your experience on cruises when you sail?

Arguably, it does to some extent. If it's easier for people to make Platinum, then there will be more Platinum members. If there is more Platinum members, then it is harder for NCL to extend great benefits to all of them. The number of Platinum members has skyrocketed since NCL overhauled their loyalty program, and a lot of benefits have been significantly watered down or effectively eliminated because of their inability to extend these benefits to the huge number (sometimes hundreds) of Platinum members onboard.

Does that make a taker of short cruises less of a cruiser? I personally don't think so, but there is definitely something to be said about how NCL has currently structured their program that does leave their top cruisers out in the cold. New Platinum-Plus and Pinnacle tiers (looking at RCI for inspiration) would do a lot to ensure groups are small enough that benefits still mean something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by barnacle_boy

... but there is definitely something to be said about how NCL has currently structured their program that does leave their top cruisers out in the cold. New Platinum-Plus and Pinnacle tiers (looking at RCI for inspiration) would do a lot to ensure groups are small enough that benefits still mean something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with this. However, please do not forget that Norwegian is a mass market cruise line and they cater to making a buck.

It is super easy to become platinum and receive benifits because Norwegian probably has a sales policy which says, "if XYZ customers spend X amount of money to reach the Platinum status, we can retain an X percentage of our 'loyal' customers with the loyalty program currently in place as is."

This means as long as that X percentage of platinum cruisers exist on their ships, the process is working.

It then becomes a party line of "so what if some platinum cruisers feel like their service is affected - as long as we continue to create more platinum cruisers, the loss of that business is not going to impact our sales."

This is a business with an endless amount of potential customers and they know they do not need to keep everyone happy.

Interesting post. Another thing I wonder along these lines is if actual revenue determines Latitudes point accrual at all?

For example, 7 night cruise - passenger A sails in an inside cabin, passenger B sails in a suite - do they both accumulate the same number of

Isn't it double points for a suite? And also here is a bonus for booking 9 months out and also for using a Latitudes Insider.

Unless it has changed since July.

While it is now much easier to reach platinum, realistically you could do it in 2 cruises with the right combination of booking.

The problem as I see it is the gap between platinum and the next level. We have been cruising NCL pretty much exclusively our whole cruising experience. We are now platinum and while the perks are nice, there is really no level higher to try and achieve other then getting a box of chocolates at a certain point level.

While at this point I will try to cruise NCL in the future, I will not be exclusive if another itinerary, price point or ship of another line interests me.

I was one point away from being platinum and wanted platinum for our upcoming 10 day med cruise.

We did a 2 nighter to achieve this a few months back.

Does this make me less of a cruiser?

Maybe. Depends on whether you normally cruise or just go on 2 nighters.

My idea of Latitudes points would be;

1/2 point for all Mini Cruises (Less than 7 days)

1 point for Cruises 7-13 days

2 points 14 days or over

Automatic Platinum for full World Cruise.

I don't think cabin grades should come into the equation. People book what they can afford, doesn't make them less loyal.

I don't think cabin grades should come into the equation. People book what they can afford, doesn't make them less loyal.

But it's ok to penalize them if they can only book shorter cruises because they can't afford a longer one? If they can only afford a shorter cruise, they are less loyal? You can't have it both ways.

Maybe. Depends on whether you normally cruise or just go on 2 nighters.

My idea of Latitudes points would be;

1/2 point for all Mini Cruises (Less than 7 days)

1 point for Cruises 7-13 days

2 points 14 days or over

Automatic Platinum for full World Cruise.

I just don't understand you reasoning, based on current points if you booked 2 day cruises only it would take at the least, taking advantage of every extra point you could get it would take 20, 2 day cruises to get platinum. I have no problem with this.

I have more of a problem of someone taking 2 cruises at max points and becoming platinum.

Also the gap between 76 points and becoming platinum and the next prize level of 250 points is huge with not much of an incentive to even reach that point

But it's ok to penalize them if they can only book shorter cruises because they can't afford a longer one? If they can only afford a shorter cruise, they are less loyal? You can't have it both ways.

I think if you look at my last post, you'll find I am not penalizing anyone, far from it in fact.

Why does this bother you? Does it somehow affect your experience on cruises when you sail? Have you considered that some younger people enjoy cruising but do not always have the time to take off from work, school, or life?

Not everyone "cheats the system" to reach platinum.

My thought also.

I think if you look at my last post, you'll find I am not penalizing anyone, far from it in fact.

I disagree.

If someone takes a shorter cruise because either they cannot afford a longer cruise, or they do not have the time to take a longer cruise due to work, school, or life, then why should they only get half points? Are they less of a cruiser than someone who always takes full cruises?

Lighten up.

It then becomes a party line of "so what if some platinum cruisers feel like their service is affected - as long as we continue to create more platinum cruisers, the loss of that business is not going to impact our sales."

This is a business with an endless amount of potential customers and they know they do not need to keep everyone happy.

Of course, no single passenger, no matter how loyal, is worth much effort to retain. However, a company that tramples on their greatest fans does so with a definite amount of risk. For example, would you purchase something from a company if many of their best customers agreed that they were treated poorly to the point that they were looking at other companies? This is a complete hypothetical, because I do think that NCL treats me relatively well as a Platinum member, but hopefully this extreme better illustrates my point that taking care of loyal passengers can have an affect on the overall reputation of the brand and its ability to attract new passengers.

I recently completed my first cruise on Celebrity Cruises as an Elite member, and their benefits were far better than those on NCL. Free internet package, free pressing and dry-cleaning, but the best was the nightly cocktail event with unlimited, free drinks. Overall, I think Celebrity is a mixed bag, but I’d definitely be tempted to sail with them again over NCL under certain conditions, and their far superior loyalty program would definitely play a huge role in that decision. Sheehan keeps saying that he wants to turn NCL into a “premium” line like Princess and Celebrity. Well, if he's serious, it’s time for NCL step up to the plate and get a hit with some comparable perks for their passengers.

I have more of a problem of someone taking 2 cruises at max points and becoming platinum.

I definitely think that those who pay substantially more should get more points. Prices for suites are usually several times higher than the prices for regular cabins. If you’re paying twice as much (sometimes many times over) than passengers in regular cabins, you should get twice as many points. I could have easily done five cruises in a regular balcony for the price it cost for me to travel in a Haven suite a few months ago. I feel the same goes for solo cruisers, who generally have to pay a supplement equal to the price of two (studios excluded). If you’re paying twice as much as a solo cruiser, you should get twice as many points.

Edited by barnacle_boy

The loyalty program is what it is, and the smart people use it to their advantage. We can't criticize them for taking advantage of the breaks the system offers.

Think of it like the IRS system ! There are no penalties for using the breaks that system offers.

Having said that, NCL is looking at adding another level to the program, but nothing is definite yet. Stay tuned !!

Another way to look at it is the new cruisers tend to spend more onboard than the "old heads". Smart business says attract the new ones with a fast track loyalty program and placate the old ones as much as is necessary.

Edited by swedish weave

Another way to look at it is the new cruisers tend to spend more onboard than the "old heads". Smart business says attract the new ones with a fast track loyalty program and placate the old ones as much as is necessary.

Agreed! It is what it is, and I personally am always happy with what I get for my buck. Otherwise, I would reconsider sailing with them again.

I was one point away from being platinum and wanted platinum for our upcoming 10 day med cruise.

We did a 2 nighter to achieve this a few months back.

Does this make me less of a cruiser?

I basically did the same with Carnival when they revamped their program to reach their platinum level.:D Those of us who were close to 10 cruises got grandfathered in on the number of cruises instead of days cruised.