Am I a cheapskate?

Why are people still lecturing? The OP thanked everyone several posts ago that they would leave tips as the full amount..

Because most people only read the first question and answer, without having time to read through all of the posts. I usually read all of the posts, and then answer.

Why doesn't Royal use the money for the 3rd and 4th fare that includes a per diem expense for food, that the kids aren't going to use, and, you know, pay their crew?

Because your society (by which I mean the US) just doesn't work that way. You choose to have low wages supplemented by tips for service positions. In turn you pay very low prices.

In contrast, in Australia we have much higher wages. Tipping is appreciated but not really expected. If paying cash many people will round up a bit or leave the change but there is definitely no 15% or 18% expectation. Everything costs substantially more - roughly double in most cases.

I guess either way someone pays for it, either in the initial price or with the tip. But out here I'm generally paying more!

I don't want to discourage anyone from traveling here though, come on out - its beautiful and we're a friendly bunch!

I'm more shocked that you can get them to lower your gratuities for your young children! Is that really true?

Not to belabor this post, but if you have a child who isn't eating food on the boat, I would argue that little ones do require less service, at least in the dining room. The cabin steward would deserve most of the gratuity. I may be the minority on this one, but my kid costs a lot of money to not eat, use the pool, etc. I am not complaining about this, but my infant isn't going to use the service as fully as I or my husband will.

I'm more shocked that you can get them to lower your gratuities for your young children! Is that really true?

Not to belabor this post, but if you have a child who isn't eating food on the boat, I would argue that little ones do require less service, at least in the dining room. The cabin steward would deserve most of the gratuity. I may be the minority on this one, but my kid costs a lot of money to not eat, use the pool, etc. I am not complaining about this, but my infant isn't going to use the service as fully as I or my husband will.

Unless you have my time dining you are given the option to modify the daily gratuity as you see fit.