Am I a cheapskate?

What a mean spirited individual you are.

Ahhh, the oldest trick in the book. Someone calls out a person doing something wrong, and THEY are wrong for doing so! But to the point at hand:

If you do not want to tip because you want to save money, that is your choice. But to go on a rant basically implying the crew do not work very hard so they do not deserve compensated in the accepted way of the cruise industry, that is too far. If you do not like tipping, write a letter, email the CEO, do something, but do not take your vendetta against an accepted practice out on the crew. I have gotten to know too many of them too well to not say something to people like that. I did not wish to debate the topic, I just wonder what made that poster so jaded. Their siggy would indicate they have been on dozens of cruises, in all that time what caused them to be so angry at the crew?

If calling that person out is mean spirited, I will gladly wear that label...with pride! Can I get a badge for my signature?

Ahhh, the oldest trick in the book. Someone calls out a person doing something wrong, and THEY are wrong for doing so! But to the point at hand:

If you do not want to tip because you want to save money, that is your choice. But to go on a rant basically implying the crew do not work very hard so they do not deserve compensated in the accepted way of the cruise industry, that is too far. If you do not like tipping, write a letter, email the CEO, do something, but do not take your vendetta against an accepted practice out on the crew. I have gotten to know too many of them too well to not say something to people like that. I did not wish to debate the topic, I just wonder what made that poster so jaded. Their siggy would indicate they have been on dozens of cruises, in all that time what caused them to be so angry at the crew?

If calling that person out is mean spirited, I will gladly wear that label...with pride! Can I get a badge for my signature?

Your argument is invalidated by calling something "wrong" when in fact it is the cruise line offering the option. If a RCI offers a guest an option how can anything the guest chooses from available options be "wrong"? They can't be. They can differ from your choice, but you can't call someone "wrong".

Your argument is invalidated by calling something "wrong" when in fact it is the cruise line offering the option. If a RCI offers a guest an option how can anything the guest chooses from available options be "wrong"? They can't be. They can differ from your choice, but you can't call someone "wrong".

Removing the tip was not the wrong part, of course that is their choice... the bashing the crew to justify your decision is. If you got bad service, by all means dump the tip. But to claim they do not deserve it because they do not work hard in general, well, we are getting into semantics. but that is not correct.

I have respect for some on Cruise Critic (mostly on the Carnival section, it seems) who post they just do not feel they need to tip. Then by all means remove your tip, that is your right. But to cloak that under the "well, these crew members hardly do anything" is (insert colorful adjective here)

I wonder what got that person to that point after so many cruises.

Removing the tip was not the wrong part, of course that is their choice... the bashing the crew to justify your decision is. If you got bad service, by all means dump the tip. But to claim they do not deserve it because they do not work hard in general, well, we are getting into semantics. but that is not correct.

I have respect for some on Cruise Critic (mostly on the Carnival section, it seems) who post they just do not feel they need to tip. Then by all means remove your tip, that is your right. But to cloak that under the "well, these crew members hardly do anything" is (insert colorful adjective here)

I wonder what got that person to that point after so many cruises.

I see your point now. And I so agree. Generally speaking I feel crew take pride in their jobs. And even with rare instances of bad service they all DO work hard contractually speaking. Not many of us would want to work 7 days a week for 4, 6, 8 months. And long days at that.

As someone who works for tips (a tour guide in Niagara Falls) I usually advocate for full tipping and more for great service. But on this one I'm going to cut the traveller a break. Vacationing with the kids is already expensive. As long as the adults in a party have tipped appropriately, I am happy to have helped the kids have a great time. The only time I would be upset or disappointed would be if I had a very large family, with say six or seven kids and they didn't tip at all for the kids. At that point, those kids are taking seats on my bus that would normally be occupied with full fare paying, tipping adults, and I'm losing out on expected income.

I think the same idea applies on the ship. The Cabin Attendant is expecting two tipping people in each cabin, he won't be missing out on any expected income because of the kids. I fact, anything he gets for them is above what he would have expected for that week. Similarly, the waitstaff knows that there will be kids on board, as long as it's not a whole big table of non-tipping kids, having a child or two in the mix is an expected part of the job.

In both cases, if the service directed toward the child was exceptional I would be sure thank the person with a gratuity appropriate for extra effort.

Like I said, I'm usually a big voice in favor of tipping. But, as someone on the receiving end of tipping, I have a soft spot for families. Just remember that 60 - 80% of that person's income is derived from tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SamFritz

Actually, I think that some of the comments against tipping the full amounts, for a variety of reasons, on various threads, are fairly reasonable.

But I'd love to see what would happen if the majority of US passengers started tipping this way. I feel that currently, US passengers subsidize many of the non US (and US) non-tippers.

Love to see what would happen if everyone started cutting down/cutting out their tips.

Sorry, I feel differently. The cabin steward is not picking up anything more with the 1 and 3 yr old in the cabin. He is making one extra bed for the 3 yr old and probably not for the baby, since the baby will be in a crib. He will empty the garbage no matter what is in it. He will not dust or vacuum any differently for 4 in the cabin as compared to 2 in we cabin. I do not think we have to pay income to employees, these are tips, not a supplement of poor wages. They work and hope for good tips but I do not think it is our jobs to make sure they have a living wage. As far as having food served, I do not think the infant will be served, and I think a 3 year old will not be eating many courses either. We use to do 50percent per child when it was not auto tipping. I have learned that we Americans over tip for everything, and after cruising with so many people that tipping is not done so readily, I have been looking at tipping in a different way. I only adjust when I am having poor service. I do it and feel no regret. It does not happen often, but if it does I do reduce or take it all off and give the people who worked cash. I have been told that they keep it. If they have to split it, so be it also. Not going to worry about it.

So to the op, do what you feel comfortable doing depending on service.

So you think that having a one year old and a three year old in a house creates no additional work than just an adult couple? Your children must have been amazing. Wish I could say the same. Excuse it all you want but it all comes down to being cheap at the cost of reduced income to the hard working staff. Don't stand behind the poor service excuse either - complain the first time it happens and it will be fixed - why would anyone tolerate poor service for an entire cruise? If there are four in a cabin, whether they are children or adults, four full tips should be paid.

So you think that having a one year old and a three year old in a house creates no additional work than just an adult couple? Your children must have been amazing. Wish I could say the same. Excuse it all you want but it all comes down to being cheap at the cost of reduced income to the hard working staff. Don't stand behind the poor service excuse either - complain the first time it happens and it will be fixed - why would anyone tolerate poor service for an entire cruise? If there are four in a cabin, whether they are children or adults, four full tips should be paid.

At the guests discretion as the company allows and clearly communicates to guests

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning a cruise for next fall. We will be traveling with our 3 year old and 1 year old. We researched different cruise lines and dates to find a cruise within our budget. We are also driving, rather than flying, all the way from Ohio to save money. I have cruised before (before I had kids), so I know how the gratuity works on a cruise, but I found out our gratuity will be $84 per person, totaling $336. I thought that seemed high for a 3 year old, who won't eat much, and a 1 year old, who will hardly eat anything. The RC rep said that we are able to adjust the 3 year old and 1 year old's gratuity. Should I, or would that make me a cheapskate? Has anyone ever done this, and if so, what do you think would be considered fair? Thanks!

Yes, you CAN adjust the gratuity for the child; but, yes, that WOULD make you a cheapskate.

Gratuities are given for service, not the amount of food the child eats. The wait staff still has to provide a place at the table for the child (in fact, they have to bring over high chairs). They have to set out a plate, silverware and a cup; then they have to clean them up. Whether they're bringing a whole plate of food or just a bit of fruit doesn't make a difference. Why wouldn't the server deserve more money for doing double the work?

Similarly, if you're thinking of your cabin, your steward will have to pull out the sofa /pull down the bed from the ceiling. He will make up double the beds, change out twice the towels, remove twice the trash. He does "save" a bit of labor in that vaccuming and cleaning the bathroom isn't a great deal more for four.

You can tip less, but should you? Is it a good moral choice to accept service and then withhold payment?

You're still new at being a family of four, but you have to accept that paying for yourself PLUS the kids will cost more. I remember going through this adjustment when our second child was born. Our first seemed to be a blip on the financial radar when we ate out, etc. But when we added a second, things seemed to cost so much more: TWO kids' plates, TWO kids' haircuts, TWO Halloween costumes, etc. But you've chosen to have two children, and you have to make the finanical adjustment to paying for four people.

I won't go into the standard "the crew makes so little already" argument,
No, I don't buy into this idea particularly. These guys certainly do work hard, but who doesn't? I trust that each of them has the good sense to choose the best job available to him, given his circumstances and education.

What does matter is that a person who provides service for four people ought to be tipped for four people.

If you want to be frugal, that is fine, no problem there, but do not be frugal on the backs of the crew. Try a different form of vacation. I did not start cruising till my girls were almost 6 because I could not afford it, and I would not take a vacation by screwing those who take good care of me.
Bingo. Our second is just about to start college, so, yes, we're bleeding money here in our house -- but that doesn't mean I should take advantage of others just because it's possible.
Yes i did 2 of them and a 1 yr old is being feed by mom or dad they are not feeding them selves in the dinning room.. yes the 3 yr old is making a mess
I suspect you weren't very involved in caring for your kids when they were toddlers.

One year olds are learning to feed themselves, and they make a HUGE MESS of it. Three-year olds, on the other hand, are much more coordinated and practiced at the table. While they certainly aren't at adult levels yet, their mess is considerably smaller than that of a one-year old.

Even if you assume that mom and dad feed the child, the server still must do quite a bit: Bring the high chair, provide food, provide drink (and transfer it to the sippy cup that mom probably brought), clean up the mess (which is larger than an adult's mess), clean up the floor under the chair, and remove the high chair. That's MORE work than serving a typical adult.

In the OP's original post she said the Royal rep offered to adjust the 3 and one year old's gratuity. So I guess Royal saw the logic and agreed with their rationale. It's all moot now as the OP has since stated that she will be paying the full gratuity for everyone.
Look at the big picture: The customer service rep who works in Miami and is trained to do whatever he can to get people to sign up for a cruise . . . said, "Yeah, it's fine for you to choose to decrease the pay of a manual labor employee who works in another area of the company and whom I will never meet".

Do you think you'd get the same answer if you asked the crew members who provide the service?

Do you think you'd get the same answer if you asked the head of hospitality (the guy who runs the hotel end of the ship)?

At the guests discretion as the company allows and clearly communicates to guests
Well, not quite: The company publically posts, "We recommend you tip X amount."

When someone calls and asks, "Can I cheap out and do less for the people who provide good service for me over the course of a week? Can I get away with it?" the customer service reps say truthfully, "Yes, you can do that. We cannot stop you from making that choice."

That's not quite the same thing as publicizing, "You can walk away without tipping fairly!", now, is it?

Edited by MrsPete

I think the same idea applies on the ship. The Cabin Attendant is expecting two tipping people in each cabin, he won't be missing out on any expected income because of the kids. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCI do budget gratuities to crew on a per-person basis and this is reflected in the recommended gratuities policy.

This is also reflected in their distribution of cabin types and occupancy requirements they now place on certain categories and fares.

The situation that crew on a cruise ship face can not be related to any other gratuity based land position in any way.

Sorry, not wanting to be mean, but I do think that makes you a cheapskate! :o

Your 3 year old & one year old will create work for the cabin attendant, extra linens, trash, (what are you going to do with those dirty diapers?) etc. The wait staff will be bringing some food to your children, or cleaning up after them in the MDR, WJ, etc. So, yeah, I would pay the full amount. We did with our grandsons when they were that size without even thinking about it.

However, it is possible to remove the gratuities and/or reduce the amount if you choose.

Sherri:)

I agree with you 100%. Couldn't have said it better. To the OP, no I don't think you're cheap. I understand how a young couple might try to save money on a vacation, but it shouldn't be at the expense of those working on cruise ships. They put in very long hours and work really hard for those tips. That would be like asking "them" to supplement the cost of your vacation. If you need to cut expenses, ask a relative to care for the children and go on the cruise by yourselves. If that's not possible, don't book any shore excursions or purchase any beverages, and don't purchase anything. This way, "you" would be making the sacrifices, not the crew making sacrifices to save you money. Please don't think of my suggestions as being critical or mean. I don't think you really thought of this while trying to save money. Wishing you safe and happy holidays, and wishing you a fun cruise. You really do not need to spend money on a cruise to have a great one. :)

Look at the big picture: The customer service rep who works in Miami and is trained to do whatever he can to get people to sign up for a cruise . . . said, "Yeah, it's fine for you to choose to decrease the pay of a manual labor employee who works in another area of the company and whom I will never meet".

I would expect the rep to convey the Company Policy which allows adjustments.

Do you think you'd get the same answer if you asked the crew members who provide the service? Of course not, That's like asking the Fox to guard the Hen House. Or my boss asking me to set my own bonus for the year, which by the way, would be HUGE!!! A wee bit of conflict of interest there, don't you think?;)

Do you think you'd get the same answer if you asked the head of hospitality (the guy who runs the hotel end of the ship)? As management I would expect him/her to convey the Company policy with a little bias towards the front line crew. Remember the head of hospitality is the Foxes' manager.

Big picture looked at, thanks.

Yes, you CAN adjust the gratuity for the child; but, yes, that WOULD make you a cheapskate.

Gratuities are given for service, not the amount of food the child eats. The wait staff still has to provide a place at the table for the child (in fact, they have to bring over high chairs). They have to set out a plate, silverware and a cup; then they have to clean them up. Whether they're bringing a whole plate of food or just a bit of fruit doesn't make a difference. Why wouldn't the server deserve more money for doing double the work?

Similarly, if you're thinking of your cabin, your steward will have to pull out the sofa /pull down the bed from the ceiling. He will make up double the beds, change out twice the towels, remove twice the trash. He does "save" a bit of labor in that vaccuming and cleaning the bathroom isn't a great deal more for four.

You can tip less, but should you? Is it a good moral choice to accept service and then withhold payment?

You're still new at being a family of four, but you have to accept that paying for yourself PLUS the kids will cost more. I remember going through this adjustment when our second child was born. Our first seemed to be a blip on the financial radar when we ate out, etc. But when we added a second, things seemed to cost so much more: TWO kids' plates, TWO kids' haircuts, TWO Halloween costumes, etc. But you've chosen to have two children, and you have to make the finanical adjustment to paying for four people. No, I don't buy into this idea particularly. These guys certainly do work hard, but who doesn't? I trust that each of them has the good sense to choose the best job available to him, given his circumstances and education.

What does matter is that a person who provides service for four people ought to be tipped for four people. Bingo. Our second is just about to start college, so, yes, we're bleeding money here in our house -- but that doesn't mean I should take advantage of others just because it's possible.I suspect you weren't very involved in caring for your kids when they were toddlers.

One year olds are learning to feed themselves, and they make a HUGE MESS of it. Three-year olds, on the other hand, are much more coordinated and practiced at the table. While they certainly aren't at adult levels yet, their mess is considerably smaller than that of a one-year old.

Even if you assume that mom and dad feed the child, the server still must do quite a bit: Bring the high chair, provide food, provide drink (and transfer it to the sippy cup that mom probably brought), clean up the mess (which is larger than an adult's mess), clean up the floor under the chair, and remove the high chair. That's MORE work than serving a typical adult.

Do you think you'd get the same answer if you asked the crew members who provide the service?

Do you think you'd get the same answer if you asked the head of hospitality (the guy who runs the hotel end of the ship)?

Well, not quite: The company publically posts, "We recommend you tip X amount."

When someone calls and asks, "Can I cheap out and do less for the people who provide good service for me over the course of a week? Can I get away with it?" the customer service reps say truthfully, "Yes, you can do that. We cannot stop you from making that choice."

That's not quite the same thing as publicizing, "You can walk away without tipping fairly!", now, is it?

It's not the same as you say. The company makes a recommendation and then says it is discretionary, so your alternate response isn't accurate either.

I always tip above minimum suggestions on ships but it is because I choose to do so, not because it is compulsory. I find the level of services received to be worth it. I think most others do as well. Therefore it is best to provide factual and objective information to people and then let them experience and decide. Please refer to my first response on this posting that I made yesterday. I can no more tell people how to spend their money than anyone else in here. Make the choices that best suit yourself and the service you experience. It is annoying when people condescend, put down, ridicule, and bully people into doing things the way they feel it MUST be done when the reality is neither you [the general and collective you, not you specificslly] nor I have that power to compel anyone to anything.

Give adults facts. Let them then make their choices. If someone tips less, the same, or more than me isn't really my business OR my problem.

As far as the OP is concerned, all arguments at this point are moot since they came back and said they would tip the recommended amount.:)

However, I will add my $.01. When we were a young frugal family with limited means, if it was something that we couldn't cover all costs involved, we just didn't do it.;)

On another note, it is so tiresome when those who are not from a "tipping society" jump in. So what, you're not in Kansas anymore. If anyone doesn't know what that means, it's from the Wizard of Oz and things are not done now how you previously expected. It's also tiresome that Americans get blamed for the tipping society, especially when it comes to tipping on ships. Samuel Cunard, who was Canadian and emmigrated to England, started the tipping practice on ships.:D

On another note, it is so tiresome when those who are not from a "tipping society" jump in. .:D

While there are a couple of 'societies' in the world where 'gratuities' are not expected like Japan, many others have moved to a 'living wage' service charge method and thus, in a sense, forcing everyone to 'give' the minimum. The premise is still the same. Customs vary greatly not only by continent, nation and region, but even by community.

A recent finance minister in Spain actually tried to blame inflation in the Spanish economy partially on 'excessive tipping in the upscale sector'

Gratuities are understood by almost every society around the world, while practices do vary.

Why should one cabin have to pay tips X 4 when 2 are babies? They have paid a cruise fare. The idea of a tip is nothing more than a service charge now. If it truly is a tip then do with it what you wish. It should not be mandatory. For those who are more generous then so be it. I am sure the staff appreciates it. So this couple is paying $48 a day in tips???? That is highly insane and the whole tipping aspect should be looked at.

The cabin steward, as nice as they are, make a bed and unmake a bed. They dump a pail of garbage. Sometimes they vacuum but not every day. On HAL our cabin steward had 32 cabins to do. They are not dusting either. I have found tons of dust along the headboards. I find a $24 a day tip is TOO high on RCL. When you consider that the breakfast in the main dining room is now serve yourself, and the dining rooms are closed for lunch during port days, and buffets close at 9 PM.... how much service am I really getting?

Please do not tell me it is for the people that do the laundry either. That is their job. It is not for me to supplement living wages. Also, they do not even change the sheets on a 7 night cruise!

You appear not to have any idea of how the tips are broken out. Only a portion goes to the cabin steward, not the whole amount. The main dining room is only "buffet" for breakfast by choice. You can still order off the menu.

The waiters rotate for breakfast and lunch to other venues. So your tip goes to them too. Your cabin steward cleans your room twice per day.

The MDR is closed in port... how rude that they try to give some of the wait staff some time off during their 7 day per week job that they do for a number of months. Have you ever worked 7 days per week for 3 or more months with absolutely NO time off other than a few hours per week in port?

So, tip as you see fit. That's what I do. If you think they earn too much, take your tips off at the beginning of the cruise and do as you wish. No one is going to argue with you. We may think you are cheap and unappreciative, but that is certainly our right, and actually how you come across. But that's ok, you certainly have a right to your opinion.

You appear not to have any idea of how the tips are broken out. Only a portion goes to the cabin steward, not the whole amount. The main dining room is only "buffet" for breakfast by choice. You can still order off the menu.

The waiters rotate for breakfast and lunch to other venues. So your tip goes to them too. Your cabin steward cleans your room twice per day.

The MDR is closed in port... how rude that they try to give some of the wait staff some time off during their 7 day per week job that they do for a number of months. Have you ever worked 7 days per week for 3 or more months with absolutely NO time off other than a few hours per week in port?

So, tip as you see fit. That's what I do. If you think they earn too much, take your tips off at the beginning of the cruise and do as you wish. No one is going to argue with you. We may think you are cheap and unappreciative, but that is certainly our right, and actually how you come across. But that's ok, you certainly have a right to your opinion.

Every post you make is so judgmental and condescending. What exactly makes you think you're so much better than anyone else? Why not just mind your own business and do what you feel is best? I have not read a single post from you lately where you are not looking down your skyward aimed nose at someone, sometimes even basing your judgments on obvious misunderstandings of policies. I am sure you are probably a nice person and want a certain level of service and ambiance for your hard earned dollar but you're not in charge and frankly your belittling of people is wearing thin. Just give people facts and allow them to do decide what is best. Jeez....

Don't ask here unless you want to hear "yes' because cc folks tend toward tip and tip frequently. Not that there is anything wrong with it - but ultimately, tipping is a personal experience and you should do how you feel, but if you ask here, you're gonna hear a resounding Yes to your question.

I'm glad you changed your mind concerning the gratuities. Two places you cannot scrimp are gratuities and port charges. I'd also suggest getting cruise insurance. We had to cancel our very first cruise when DH broke his hip. Our first cruise taken arrived back in port eight hours late and we missed our flights and had to spend the night. Fortunately, we'd gotten the insurance. We also get 50 one dollar bills for tipping. I use up a lot on embarkation and disembarkation day. The rest go to tip for such things as room service. On our most recent Celebrity cruise, our cabin steward discovered we tipped for room service and personally delivered all our room service! Usually we get faster service when they learn we tip.

Find out where your waiters work at lunch and dinner and try to sit at their station. We've gotten better service that way.

With young kids, you probably want to take advantage of the ships photographers. Skip the shots in the dining room. Even if you look good, they may frame it with a pole coming out the top of your head. Once they took the pictures with the cleaning bottles showing in the background.

Do take advantage of the picture booths. They have several poses they often get from their computers, so they look more professional. You should have no sitting fees, so then it's a matter of picking out the best near the end of your cruise. They often have photographers ready at each port of call. We had some table mates that bought a picture from each port. I'd suggest setting a budget for this. Photos can set you back a lot.

Skip the alcohol and specialty coffees, and stay out of the shops (unless you realize you've forgotten something. Most Caribbean shore excursions are cheaper than the ones up in Alaska and Canada/New England. Pick the ones you REALLY want to take ahead of time. We missed out on one of the shore excursions because we wanted to use onboard credit, and it had sold out. Also, no specialty dining. It can set you back a lot, and Chops isn't as good as it used to be.

They have a baby section from gifts and gear if you'd rather not haul diapers. Or you should be able to print the luggage tags on labels and check them at the pier. Be sure to cover them with tape so they don't run in the rain.

Check out the Next cruise bookings onboard. On our last Celebrity Cruise, we got $300 to spend on the current cruise for booking a new cruise. So we were able to upgrade one of our shore excursions.

Sometimes they have Kids Sail free Promotions, but compare the overall rates to ones when w/o a promotion.

Check out tightwad cruising tips.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=785229

Edited by knittinggirl

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning a cruise for next fall. We will be traveling with our 3 year old and 1 year old. We researched different cruise lines and dates to find a cruise within our budget. We are also driving, rather than flying, all the way from Ohio to save money. I have cruised before (before I had kids), so I know how the gratuity works on a cruise, but I found out our gratuity will be $84 per person, totaling $336. I thought that seemed high for a 3 year old, who won't eat much, and a 1 year old, who will hardly eat anything. The RC rep said that we are able to adjust the 3 year old and 1 year old's gratuity. Should I, or would that make me a cheapskate? Has anyone ever done this, and if so, what do you think would be considered fair? Thanks!

In my opinion, since you asked for it, it makes you a cheapskate to adjust the gratuities of the kids. People will still serve them (and most likely do extra things for them since they are small), clean up after them, and take care of them. No different than for an adult.Have i ever adjusted the tips for my kids, NO, never. wouldn't even think of it. Tips are part of the cost of cruising.

LOL!:D

The National Sport here at CC is Flogging a Dead Horse.

Followed closely by Nailing Jello to a Tree.

:)

Nanny nanny, boo boo.:D

th?id=HN.607988088973953345&pid=1.7

OP answered in post #22 for all those who didn't read.

Edited by iheartbda