How to book with nanny

jaclync324

I always bring the nanny and we stay in the 2 bedroom haven suite. The kids either sleep on bottom bed together and the nanny on the bunk or the nanny sleeps on the twin convertible couch in the living room. It is tight but not horrible especially with the Haven across the hall. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think you should contact the concierge and ask him if the nanny can join you with your suite perks

My traveling buddies were in a suite and nephew in inside cabin and she got permission for him to use same privileges she had in the suite

It might have been arranged before she boarded though

Edited by johnsak123

Unless I'm missing something here, you should go right ahead and book your nanny an inside. If you're aboard the Gem, there is no special Haven restaurant, or bar, just a small pool, hot tubs etc. You can bring your nanny any of the restaurants aboard ship, and pay a fee if necessary, its really no big deal. I'm guessing they'll require a Credit card for the nanny's inside room charges, just something to think about.

I suggest you contact the shore-side Concierge in Miami and prearrange an extra key card, and any other issues you can think of before boarding, and keep copies of emails confirming specific arrangements.;)

They are probably thinking of the perk of breakfast/lunch in Cagneys.

Unless I'm missing something here, you should go right ahead and book your nanny an inside. If you're aboard the Gem, there is no special Haven restaurant, or bar, just a small pool, hot tubs etc. You can bring your nanny any of the restaurants aboard ship, and pay a fee if necessary, its really no big deal. I'm guessing they'll require a Credit card for the nanny's inside room charges, just something to think about.

I suggest you contact the shore-side Concierge in Miami and prearrange an extra key card, and any other issues you can think of before boarding, and keep copies of emails confirming specific arrangements.;)

What you're missing, is that Cagney's breakfast & lunch is not purchasable. It's a benefit of VIP status, and/or Suite occupancy.

And that's what they're hoping to have from their nanny.

What I don't fully understand in the request, is that presumably the kids aren't going to want to eat adult food, so why not have the nanny take the kids to the buffet, where there's lots of selection, while DH & DW eat in Cagney's.

Having the nanny right beside you to tend to your kids (also right beside you), so you don't have to.... seems.... to me...... ummm.....peculiar.

But I don't have kids, so what do I know? :rolleyes:

Stephen

No, Stephen, I have a kid and I had similar questions.

The kids would probably be happier eating breakfast and lunch in the non-suite restaurants anyway, especially if the Gem has that special kids' buffet like the Star and others do.

And how does it require three adults to board with a 7-year old and a 2-year old? There were a couple references to that being one of the times the nanny would be most needed but the reason isn't self-evident.

If the money is there to spend, fine. But there are certainly alternatives.

No, Stephen, I have a kid and I had similar questions.

The kids would probably be happier eating breakfast and lunch in the non-suite restaurants anyway, especially if the Gem has that special kids' buffet like the Star and others do.

And how does it require three adults to board with a 7-year old and a 2-year old? There were a couple references to that being one of the times the nanny would be most needed but the reason isn't self-evident.

If the money is there to spend, fine. But there are certainly alternatives.

We need to be fair with the OP. She, along with others, lead a lifestyle not like most of us. I have no clue what it's like to be in her position. The closest I've come to anything like that is when my mom was a willing participant in helping me anytime with my children, especially when they were young.

Unless I'm missing something here, you should go right ahead and book your nanny an inside. If you're aboard the Gem, there is no special Haven restaurant, or bar, just a small pool, hot tubs etc. Y...

Yes, you are missing quite a bit.

1 - Suite guests on the Gem and sister ships can eat breakfast and lunch in Cagneys (or the new Moderno). Only suite guests. No payment options.

2 - They have 2BR cabins that are NOT in the Haven, so those suites do not have access to the haven area.

Come on now posters!! Lets get normal here

Both parents are most likely well educated and well paid and guess what? The got legally married and had kids who have 2 loving parents who are taking a vacation.

Those parents have hired a nanny to care for their kids while those parents work outside the home.

None of this is unusual nor up for debate any longer.

They want to take the nanny with them on the cruise. Their choice!

I personally would never bring anyone else along with us on a cruise but that us only because i would see it as an intrusion. Also we have plenty of alone time already whereas these parents probably don't

Personally I gave up my career to have 4 kids but had I only had 2 you can bet I would have kept my career

Would I have a live in nanny... Nope and only because I don't really care for others living with my family and would have probably used daycare and then after school care... That would have been my choice

A nanny works for others but would not have worked for me only because I see it as an intrusion

However..... Anyone who thinks having a nanny is wrong is living in lala land and doesn't understand the world nowadays

Parents work.... Parents pay people to help care for the kids...... It's not a big deal and I don't think anyone realizes just how stressful it is to be in a position of needing a nanny to be there for the family.

Would be great if we could go back to 1955 America but that is only possible in few families these days and I was fortunate to be one of those families

So stop with negative nanny and parenting comments. Really.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Both parents are most likely well educated and well paid and guess what? The got legally married and had kids who have 2 loving parents who are taking a vacation.

Those parents have hired a nanny to care for their kids while those parents work outside the home.

I personally would never bring anyone else along with us on a cruise but that us only because i would see it as an intrusion. Also we have plenty of alone time already whereas these parents probably don't

Personally I gave up my career to have 4 kids but had I only had 2 you can bet I would have kept my career

Would I have a live in nanny... Nope and only because I don't really care for others living with my family and would have probably used daycare and then after school care... That would have been my choice

A nanny works for others but would not have worked for me only because I see it as an intrusion

However..... Anyone who thinks having a nanny is wrong is living in lala land and doesn't understand the world nowadays

Parents work.... Parents pay people to help care for the kids...... It's not a big deal and I don't think anyone realizes just how stressful it is to be in a position of needing a nanny to be there for the family.

Would be great if we could go back to 1955 America but that is only possible in few families these days and I was fortunate to be one of those families

They could have left the kids HOME with a nanny, but are opting to not do that. In this case, all win. The nanny gets a cruise, the parents get time with their children, get part time help to boot. Win win!

My loving husband posted all of the above posts. The "best husband in the world" comment should have been a clue. Lol.

For the boarding and dinning comments, he was referring to the priority boarding perks and cagneys. We do have a nanny and she is wonderful. We wanted her to experience the "suite" life. This would be a vacation for her as well but since she is not a live in, we are not comfortable sharing a room.

Loved the comments. We do raise our own children but we both work out of the home and since our dog is not up to watching a rambunctious pair of boys, we had to hire outside help. It's up surd, I know! By the way, that's sarcasm.

Thanks for the info. Not sure why DH even asked the question here. I already had the answer as most wives do.

Happy Holidays.

They could have left the kids HOME with a nanny, but are opting to not do that. In this case, all win. The nanny gets a cruise, the parents get time with their children, get part time help to boot. Win win!

Well said!

We travel with our children and often need extra help. My wife stays at home, so have no requirement for a nanny, but if she did, we would have one.

Actually the op posted that the nanny is not a live in.

And your point is??

You suggested they leave the kids at home with the nanny

That doesn't work if the nanny gets in the car and goes home to her own house and family at the end of the day

And just because the nanny was willing and able to spend a week on the ship with them.... Which the op said was something they wanted to Do for the nanny.... It doesn't mean the nanny was willing to move into their home for a week while they cruise nor that the parents would even be comfortable with that arrangement

Yep... The kids are going on the cruise.... As much as many posters here hate to see kids on cruises... They will be there.... And rightly so.

Edited by luvtheships

I would have loved to have been able to afford a nanny for my kids after my divorce from their mother. I was working round the clock hours 60- 80 hours a week. I'll never be able to thank my Mom and sister for all the help they gave me. But a nanny really would have been a wonderful help.

You suggested they leave the kids at home with the nanny

That doesn't work if the nanny gets in the car and goes home to her own house and family at the end of the day

And just because the nanny was willing and able to spend a week on the ship with them.... Which the op said was something they wanted to Do for the nanny.... It doesn't mean the nanny was willing to move into their home for a week while they cruise nor that the parents would even be comfortable with that arrangement

Yep... The kids are going on the cruise.... As much as many posters here hate to see kids on cruises... They will be there.... And rightly so.

Reread the post you are referring to. Digest what I wrote. You must have just skimmed the post and drew a conclusion.

Instead of booking her in an inside cabin, book her in a suite. The money you pay to double up or tip extra will probably be comparable to just upgrading her to a suite.

Here is what I would do.

Book mom, dad and one child in the big suite.

Book second child and nanny in second, smaller suite.

The child will move to the big suite with parents.

Get a spare key for nanny.

That way you're paying 5 cruise fairs only, as opposed to paying 6 by double booking nanny in two rooms, or booking her by herself in one room.

Reread the post you are referring to. Digest what I wrote. You must have just skimmed the post and drew a conclusion.

Sorry but they COULD NOT have left the kids home with the nanny..... Because she is not a live in.... So where would the kids go when the nanny left for the day..... However they could give the nanny the week off while they cruise but are not choosing that option

Case closed

Edited by luvtheships

Sorry but they COULD NOT have left the kids home with the nanny..... Because she is not a live in.... So where would the kids go when the nanny left for the day..... However they could give the nanny the week off while they cruise but are not choosing that option

Case closed

I guess you did not reread my post as I asked. Case closed. By the way, someone else read it, understood it, and agreed with the post.

Instead of booking her in an inside cabin, book her in a suite. The money you pay to double up or tip extra will probably be comparable to just upgrading her to a suite.
An inside on the Gem in March is currently selling for around $2000. The cheapest suites are over $6000. If you book an inside and offer the right people around the ship $4000 in extra tips, I'm sure you could get a lot of special perks, and I'm not talking about breakfast in Cagney's…