Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

Hi Danish viking,

We're cruising with Eurodam on June 25 2015. We'll be arriving in Copenhagen by car three days earlier. Can you recommend a long-term parking lot in Copenhagen Port (Ocean Quay) or somewhere close, for the duration of the cruise? The one Holland America recommended - Park Via - seems to be full. Thank you!

Katja

Hello Danish Viking,

We are traveling into Copenhagen for our Disney Cruise on Friday, June 19th and do not have any questions related to bus schedules or trains. :)

We would however would like your opinion on Bakken Amusement Park and whether it is worth taking the time to visit this park. We have 7 yr old daughter and do plan on seeing Tivoli with her but would like your opinion on this park.

As so many have said prior, THANK YOU for your advice on this wonderful city, you truly are a great ambassador to Copenhagen and your country!

Eric

Danish Viking,

First thank you so much for all your time in answering our questions and sharing information on your city. We are excited to visit Copenhagen!

We (2 parents and 2 adult children) will be arriving at CPH and staying at the Marriott for one evening. The next day we leave on the a cruise from Oceankaj. We plan to use public transportation for these routes. We will walk for our sightseeing.

Is there a group ticket or discount ticket we should purchase or just buy them from a ticket machine?

Also is there a point with these routes and 4 people where it is cost effective to take a taxi?

Thank you again for our insight.

Hi Danish viking,

We're cruising with Eurodam on June 25 2015. We'll be arriving in Copenhagen by car three days earlier. Can you recommend a long-term parking lot in Copenhagen Port (Ocean Quay) or somewhere close, for the duration of the cruise? The one Holland America recommended - Park Via - seems to be full. Thank you!

Katja

This is from the port authoritys website

Parking:

Below please find prices for car Parking at Copenhagen’s public parking area at the entrance to the new “Ocean Quay” (Oceanvej) in 2014:

10,00 DKK per hour

80,00 DKK per day (00-24)

400,00 DKK per week

Hello Danish Viking,

We are traveling into Copenhagen for our Disney Cruise on Friday, June 19th and do not have any questions related to bus schedules or trains. :)

We would however would like your opinion on Bakken Amusement Park and whether it is worth taking the time to visit this park. We have 7 yr old daughter and do plan on seeing Tivoli with her but would like your opinion on this park.

As so many have said prior, THANK YOU for your advice on this wonderful city, you truly are a great ambassador to Copenhagen and your country!

Eric

Its a big yes from me, its located out in a deer garden so you could watch deers aswell.

btw its the worlds oldest amusement park, just a fun fact.

Not to talk about trains and busses but if you took the train to Klampenborg you could take a horse carriage ride to Bakken from there.

Danish Viking,

First thank you so much for all your time in answering our questions and sharing information on your city. We are excited to visit Copenhagen!

We (2 parents and 2 adult children) will be arriving at CPH and staying at the Marriott for one evening. The next day we leave on the a cruise from Oceankaj. We plan to use public transportation for these routes. We will walk for our sightseeing.

Is there a group ticket or discount ticket we should purchase or just buy them from a ticket machine?

Also is there a point with these routes and 4 people where it is cost effective to take a taxi?

Thank you again for our insight.

Sadly no group tickets that I´m aware of.

You say adult children, so they are +16 years old?, if they only are between 12 and 15 they travel for half the price.

You can calculate for yourself if its worth taking a taxi.

From the airport to the hotel you will pay a total of 144 kroner, a taxi around 300-350 kroner.

From the hotel to the pier its 96 kroner a taxi is around 250 kroner.

Thank you!

Do you know if we have to reserve the parking space? Is it possible to do it? From what I could see on the net there are a lot of cruises starting in Copenhagen at the end of June. MSC, Disney, Royal, Costa ... and our HAL.

And one more question. If we decide to go to Sweden for one day, which would you recommend for the crossing? Ferry, train, road? We will have our car.

Katja

DV,

You are a wealth of information on your city.... thanks so much cor sharing it.

We are a group of three in Copenhagen for day off RCL's Brilliance of the Seas; Sat June 13th.

Although we have arranged expensive tours in other cities (St Petersburg, in particular), we are thinking of doing Copenhagen on our own. We are only in port tfrom 7am to 4pm.

Notes on the internet indicate that our dock is walk-able to the following:

-*The Little Mermaid*

– The Old Citadel and ramparts

– The Gefion Fountain*

– The English church*

- The Danish Resistance Museum*

- Amalienborg Palace

DV: We'd love your thoughts on walking to the major sight. Will we miss out on anything? Tivoli Gardens? .... Should we take a cab or hop on hop off bus?

Many thanks!

Cruiznuts

Thank you!

Do you know if we have to reserve the parking space? Is it possible to do it? From what I could see on the net there are a lot of cruises starting in Copenhagen at the end of June. MSC, Disney, Royal, Costa ... and our HAL.

And one more question. If we decide to go to Sweden for one day, which would you recommend for the crossing? Ferry, train, road? We will have our car.

Katja

There times I have been there hasn´tr been filled up on the parking area.

But contact one of these persons and they will tell you what you need to know.

http://www1.cmport.com/contacts/persons

Scandlines offers a 1 day ticket for 405 kroners at the ferry and 360 kroner if you book online.

This prices are for June, July and August, the rest of the year its a little bit cheaper.

http://www.scandlines.com/

The bridge is 345 kroner each way, if you order a bropas you can get a single ticket for 158 kroner and weekends its only 100 kroner oneway

https://uk.oresundsbron.com/order/bropas/

Danish Viking,

Thanks for all the work you do to answer every ones questions!!

With that said, I have one more question, it seems the price for train tickets vary quite a bit from site to site, is that normal, and is it wise to purchase tickets well in advance??

Looking at tickets for two from Copenhagen to Berlin and Berlin to Basel, Sw.

Thanks again for all you do.

Shirley:)

The cheapest tickets will be on Bahn.de, just switch to English in the top right corner.

I don't know if they send the ticket to your location but else you just choose the print at home option.

At least to Denmark they charge around 4 euro or something to send the tickets with the post.

Bahn.de is the website for the German national rail company deutsche Bahn.

Btw when are you traveling, because there are some track repairs near Ringsted from mid July to mid August and I can't remember if the journey planner I updated with this info.

The trains will be rerouted via my town of Køge instead so its a 20 minutes longer trip but the line from Roskilde to Næstved over Køge is single tracked all the way so delays can easily spread like rings in the water.

That's only a problem if you have a tight connection in Hamburg, if you however are taking the direct train to Berlin you don't need to worry. :D

So just tell me the date and what departure you are planning on taking and I will look it up for you.

DV,

You are a wealth of information on your city.... thanks so much cor sharing it.

We are a group of three in Copenhagen for day off RCL's Brilliance of the Seas; Sat June 13th.

Although we have arranged expensive tours in other cities (St Petersburg, in particular), we are thinking of doing Copenhagen on our own. We are only in port tfrom 7am to 4pm.

Notes on the internet indicate that our dock is walk-able to the following:

-*The Little Mermaid*

– The Old Citadel and ramparts

– The Gefion Fountain*

– The English church*

- The Danish Resistance Museum*

- Amalienborg Palace

DV: We'd love your thoughts on walking to the major sight. Will we miss out on anything? Tivoli Gardens? .... Should we take a cab or hop on hop off bus?

Many thanks!

Cruiznuts

Personally I love Tivoli and I have a season card but I don't think you will regret it if you don't go because Copenhagen has lots and lots to offer in a limited time.

I will however say that if you had the opportunity to visit it when is getting darker you should go to see all the lights, but its first getting visible from around 9 pm.

Another things is that the resistance museum is burned down so its not possible to see that one before 2017 or 2018.

Else your walking route looks manageable, it looks like you have the time to swing by both Rosenborg castle with the crown jewels and Nyhavn with perhaps a canal tour.

If you give me your docking information and a date I would love to make up a walking route for you.

Danish Viking, I would be grateful if you could answer some questions.

We are starting our cruise on Saturday 15 August. Our ship is the Serenade of the Seas which is docked at Oceankaj and leaves at 17PM.

We are flying from Amsterdam into Copenhagen one day before. I expect us to arrive at our hotel around 12PM. We booked the hotel First Hotel Mayfair.

My questions:

1. I read our hotel is in or near the red light district. Is it safe to walk there in the evening?

2 . would it be best to take the train or the subway to the central station? What's the difference?

3. Is it a far walk from the station to the hotel, or is it better to take a taxi?

4. My wife loves amusement parks, especially roller-coasters. So we are planning to visit Tivoli for sure. When would be the best time to go there, and how long does a visit take?

5. With two half days in Copenhagen, what do you certainly recommend on seeing or doing?

6. I was wondering if you could recommend some good seafood restaurants

7. What's the best way to go from the hotel to the cruise terminal. I'm guessing taxi, since it's on a Saturday? How much would that cost? Or is there a bus connection. We'd like to avoid walking for a long time with our luggage in hand.

8. I believe there is some sort of gay pride festival when we are there. How noticeable is that, for example with traffic.

Sorry for the big number of questions. It's just that I like to be prepared.

Personally I love Tivoli and I have a season card but I don't think you will regret it if you don't go because Copenhagen has lots and lots to offer in a limited time.

I will however say that if you had the opportunity to visit it when is getting darker you should go to see all the lights, but its first getting visible from around 9 pm.

Another things is that the resistance museum is burned down so its not possible to see that one before 2017 or 2018.

Else your walking route looks manageable, it looks like you have the time to swing by both Rosenborg castle with the crown jewels and Nyhavn with perhaps a canal tour.

If you give me your docking information and a date I would love to make up a walking route for you.

DV:

Wow... you're my hero!

Thanks so much for your kind and generous offer to design a walking tour for us!!!

We are docked in Copenhagen from 7am til 4pm on Sat June 13th. We are traveling on RCL's Brilliance of the Seas. I believe that our dock is LANGELINIEKAJ.

Our group of three comprises my two 17 yr boys and myself. There are no mobility issues - we are all fit and well capable of marching around town.

It would be great to see the highlights and, possibly, sample a local snack for lunch (we tend not to eat large meals in port as there is way too much food on the ships already).

Thanks again for your expert advice!

Cruiznuts

We will be traveling from Copenhagen to Berlin on July 5th. Do you think we need to buy the tickets before we arrive in Copenhagen or are there always seats available. We are looking at the 1143 train. Would like the earlier one but not sure we can get off cruise ship in time to make it.

Again, thanks for all your knowledge.

Danish Viking--have not posted for a long time. Our Serenade of the Seas cruise leaves 4/24 from Boston, & ends in Copenhagen Sat. 5/9. Could you possibly tell me how to get to the Savoy hotel from the port via public transportation? We will be staying there 3 nights. Thank you so much!

Danish Viking, I would be grateful if you could answer some questions.

We are starting our cruise on Saturday 15 August. Our ship is the Serenade of the Seas which is docked at Oceankaj and leaves at 17PM.

We are flying from Amsterdam into Copenhagen one day before. I expect us to arrive at our hotel around 12PM. We booked the hotel First Hotel Mayfair.

My questions:

1. I read our hotel is in or near the red light district. Is it safe to walk there in the evening?

2 . would it be best to take the train or the subway to the central station? What's the difference?

3. Is it a far walk from the station to the hotel, or is it better to take a taxi?

4. My wife loves amusement parks, especially roller-coasters. So we are planning to visit Tivoli for sure. When would be the best time to go there, and how long does a visit take?

5. With two half days in Copenhagen, what do you certainly recommend on seeing or doing?

6. I was wondering if you could recommend some good seafood restaurants

7. What's the best way to go from the hotel to the cruise terminal. I'm guessing taxi, since it's on a Saturday? How much would that cost? Or is there a bus connection. We'd like to avoid walking for a long time with our luggage in hand.

8. I believe there is some sort of gay pride festival when we are there. How noticeable is that, for example with traffic.

Sorry for the big number of questions. It's just that I like to be prepared.

1) There shouldn´t be any problems but you can avoid Istedgade by walking to your hotel via Vesterbrogade instead.

See here.

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/First+Hotel+Mayfair/@55.672824,12.561102,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x4652530cb8c76385:0x277c122c9430ad5

2) The difference is that the metro (aka subway) doesn´t stop at the central station.

It will in 2019 but thats another story. :D

3) look at the map to answer #1, its very close.

4) When they open the rush isn´t so bad, Tivoli is open until very late so mostly people arrive at around 13:00 14:00´ish.

I can easily use 2-3 hours, but it varies, normally we are in the park 4 hours or so.

5) You did mention Rolloercoasters, Bakken north of Copenhagen is the worlds oldest amusementpark and they have a terrifying wooden rollorcoaster. :D

Else in no particular order.

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek (free entrance on Sundays)

National Museum (free entrance)

Open Air Museum with Brede Works (free entrance)

Canal Tour

Christiansborg Palace

Amalienborg Palace

Rosenborg Palace and crown jewels

Combi tour to Frederiksborg Palace and Hamlet´s Kronborg Castle

Copenhagen Zoo

Blue Planet Aquarium

6) I´m not that into seafood but the tourist board recommends these 10.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/gastronomy/top-10-seafood-restaurants

Else you can find some at Nyhavn, mostly specializing in herring but I think they have other things on the menu.

7) I know the info is very new but bus 27 will take you from Østerport (sløjfen busstop) to Oceankaj.

The cruise shuttles departs from the same place.

At the central station you just buy a 2 zone ticket costing 24 kroner, then take any trains headingf for Østerport, Nivå or Helsingøær from track 1 to 4.

Doing this you will end up closest to the Sløjfen bus stop, at Østerport you just follow the guide i made a few pages back.

8) Not that I´m aware off.

DV:

Wow... you're my hero!

Thanks so much for your kind and generous offer to design a walking tour for us!!!

We are docked in Copenhagen from 7am til 4pm on Sat June 13th. We are traveling on RCL's Brilliance of the Seas. I believe that our dock is LANGELINIEKAJ.

Our group of three comprises my two 17 yr boys and myself. There are no mobility issues - we are all fit and well capable of marching around town.

It would be great to see the highlights and, possibly, sample a local snack for lunch (we tend not to eat large meals in port as there is way too much food on the ships already).

Thanks again for your expert advice!

Cruiznuts

Here you go.

I was thinking that you could get a famous Hot Dog at Nyhavn. :)

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Langeliniekaj+(Midt)/Den+Lille+Havfrue,+Langelinie/Gefionspringvandet/St+Alban%E2%80%99s+Church,+Churchillparken/Botanisk+Have,+%C3%98ster+Farimagsgade/Rosenborg+Slot,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade,+K%C3%B8benhavn/Nyhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn/Amalienborg,+Amalienborg+Slotsplads/Langeliniekaj+(Midt),+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.6888787,12.5676358,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m56!4m55!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dda8e3b789:0x177c1078db48f2c3!2m2!1d12.600197!2d55.698501!1m5!1m1!1s0x464c90eb8d422103:0xdfa8900ca2351e3c!2m2!1d12.599283!2d55.69286!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652532092758a5d:0xca4f8b1b331039ae!2m2!1d12.597637!2d55.689328!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525320f4e2fea7:0xf8d831f266f2430b!2m2!1d12.597008!2d55.689177!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525304b2fe287f:0x1d976c806f585309!2m2!1d12.573962!2d55.686494!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652531b429e531d:0x52359c3345281b3c!2m2!1d12.577269!2d55.685827!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652533cd7fbc8c3:0x42e5ef91044ebd38!2m2!1d12.591804!2d55.679209!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525322363e0673:0x5cf17fab9d15553f!2m2!1d12.59302!2d55.684059!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dda8e3b789:0x177c1078db48f2c3!2m2!1d12.600197!2d55.698501!3e2

We will be traveling from Copenhagen to Berlin on July 5th. Do you think we need to buy the tickets before we arrive in Copenhagen or are there always seats available. We are looking at the 1143 train. Would like the earlier one but not sure we can get off cruise ship in time to make it.

Again, thanks for all your knowledge.

I would higly recommend you to purchase your ticket in advance for 2 reasons, first is way cheaper and secondly its the day after the Roskilde festival ends so I´m thinking that many people will travel home by train and there are a huge number of germans travelling to Roskilde festival each year.

When I´m searching the standard fare is 142,40 Euro but the savings fare is 89 Euro.

http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml

When we disembark from our cruise our flight doesn't leave until 7 PM. Is there anywhere we can store our luggage near city centre so we can do a little sightseeing before heading to the airport?

Thanks

Thanks for all your advice. Is it better to go to Osterport from Norreport(taking the metro) or from the Central Train station? Is there a difference where we catch the shuttle or #27 bus once we get to Osterport?

Thanks

The metro doesn't go to Østerport yet, it will in 2019 but that's another story.

Regular trains and S-trains runs between the Central Station, Vesterport (only S-train), Nørreport and Østerport.

When you get to Østerport its important that you follow the instructions I posted a few pages back.

Hi DanishViking- we had a quick question- do you know if we can still take Bus #26 from Kongens Nytorv to the Oceankaj cruise terminal on Monday, May 11th (about 11 AM), or will Bus #27 or another route be the way to go then?

Thank You!

Here you go.

I was thinking that you could get a famous Hot Dog at Nyhavn. :)

Thanks so much! It looks great ... and my boys will love the hot dog stop.

Sorry to trouble you again, but what sights will we see along the way?

Cruiznuts