Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

Danish viking,

We will be staying near Tivoli Gardens and understand that it is something to see at night as well as during the day. I just read in the paper about a terrible incident that happened last Dec. Is it safe to go out at night?

Thanks.

Hi Danish Viking,

My bad that I did not read the previous threads on bus 25 & bus 27 when asking you the questions. So, please ignore the questions above.

However, I do have another question:

Which way is better/easier to catch bus 25 at Osterport: take bus 26 (close to central station) or TRAIN from central station to Osterport?

Thanks,

There are pro's and con's on both trip.

If you take the train you just turn left when exiting the station building and walk over to the bus stop on the other side of the Folke Bernadotte's Allé..

But if you take the train I will suggest that you take bus 25 from Nørreport instead because its the start of the line so it should be easier to get a seat etc.

The 26 bus takes a little bit longer but stops at the same bus stop as the 25 bus at Østerport so there will be no walking with luggage.

Danish viking,

We will be staying near Tivoli Gardens and understand that it is something to see at night as well as during the day. I just read in the paper about a terrible incident that happened last Dec. Is it safe to go out at night?

Thanks.

If you think about the couple that got attacked by 5 persons it was a sad case.

First of all it didn't happen in the tourist areas (not saying that It can't happen) and secondly they were letting themselves being provoked instead of ignoring the provocations.

Hopes that makes sense.

I'm not saing it was their fault but I such situations its best to ignore people yelling and screaming at you because most of the time they only seek the confrontation.

Yes bus 25 is the new cruise shuttle.

2 and/or 3 zone tickets is valid for 1 hour and the rule is that you should just have boarded the train, metro, bus etc before the time expire.

The ticket machines round up to the next quarter so if you buy the ticket at 9:04 the ticket will expire at 10:15.

I'm still thinking that the bus stops next to the terminals, it did last year so I don't expect otherwise.

There isn't any fixed timetable but it departs every 20-30 minute between 8:00 and 16:00, I'm guessing the 30 minute interval is when there is only 1 ship in port.

So do I buy a 2 zone for the metro to Norreport? We will have lunch and continue on, so then we buy a ticket from the driver for the bus 25 to Oceankaj? How much is that?

Thanks for all your help!!

There are pro's and con's on both trip.

If you take the train you just turn left when exiting the station building and walk over to the bus stop on the other side of the Folke Bernadotte's Allé..

But if you take the train I will suggest that you take bus 25 from Nørreport instead because its the start of the line so it should be easier to get a seat etc.

The 26 bus takes a little bit longer but stops at the same bus stop as the 25 bus at Østerport so there will be no walking with luggage.

Hi Danish Viking,

Thanks so much for your advice!

If I take the train to Norreport to catch bus 25, how can I get to the bus stop from Norreport train station?

Danish Viking,

In post #342, you listed 3 hotels in Nyhavn that you would recommend. I'm considering two of them, Wakeup Borgergade and Hotel Bethel. But, I'm also thinking about the Cabinn City near Tivoli as it looks central to a lot of sites as well.

Which area (Nyhavn or City Central) would you recommend? And which hotel of those I've listed would you choose? FWIW, I'm particularly interested in the Hotel Bethel just because it doesn't seem as "sterile" as the Wake-up or Cabinn, but I've also read reports that it's really noisy, both inside and outside the hotel and I would not like that!

Many thanks for your help!

Hello again, Danish Viking,

I know that you get inundated with requests for information, but would you have any input on the question I posted yesterday? Many thanks to you (and anyone else) for your insights on these hotels.

Thanks DV. Yes that is the case. I guess that is what you have to do- ignore them.

Are these men on trial now?

Yes the trials is actually happening right now.

Sadly we have a few cases of badly integrated immigrats from the middle east/northern africa that makes trouble in their local neighborhood but its not as bad as seen in France, Belgium etc.

Mostly its just pranks and such so its very very rare that it turns to that much violence as seen in this case.

So do I buy a 2 zone for the metro to Norreport? We will have lunch and continue on, so then we buy a ticket from the driver for the bus 25 to Oceankaj? How much is that?

Thanks for all your help!!

Its only a 2 zone ticket if you already are in Copenhagen, from the airport its 3 zones.

If your transportation to Nørreport and lunch takes under 1 hour you can use your ticket to get to Oceankaj.

If you will use more time you just buy a new 2 zone ticket and that is still 24 kroner.

Hi Danish Viking,

Thanks so much for your advice!

If I take the train to Norreport to catch bus 25, how can I get to the bus stop from Norreport train station?

Its not confirmed yet but i expect it will be the bus stops near Tornebuskgade.

The M is the access point to the metro

S is of course the S-train¨

RE is Regionaltog, Øresundstog (airport train) and long distance trains

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/N%C3%B8rreport.pdf

Hello again, Danish Viking,

I know that you get inundated with requests for information, but would you have any input on the question I posted yesterday? Many thanks to you (and anyone else) for your insights on these hotels.

I would say Bethel and Wake Up as a second choice.

Bethel is located opposite all the restaurants so its on the calm side of Nyhavn so I don´t get why anyone would call it noisy.

Recent reports on tripadvisor doesn´t mention any noise issue and the hotel is rated as the 6th best hotel in Copenhagen at the moment.

Is there left luggage storage/lockers at either Norreport or Osterport Stations? Only able to confirm luggage storage at Main station Kobenhavn. Looking to dump luggage (one bag) in between airport and Oceankaj cruise shuttle bus so I can explore Cop pre cruise. Thanks!

No you are out of luck, its only the central station that offer these facilities.

The airport is of course also another option but the location is not so good for sightseing.

Edited by Danish viking

Dear Danish Viking; Thank You for all the information, but Just in case can everyone on this board have Your e-mail, personal phone number, and cell, your address, and can We stay there the first night before cruise. And if We get really lost would You or a family member come and get us(including transportation to the next port).

Thats a no, no, no and another no. :D

Danish Viking,

Our ship is overnighting the evening of May 29. I'm part of a large group of 20-25 people who would all like to stay at Tivoli Garden as late as possible, but public transit out to the terminal finishes at 7 pm.

Do you have any suggestions for booking a group transfer that evening? While taxis are always a possibility, it would be much more cost effective if we can book a shuttle of some sort.

Thanks for all your great advice.

Here are a couple of suggestions.

I have added the email adress for the companies that only provides a danish website.

Strøby Turist:

http://www.stroebyturist.dk/

info@stroebyturist.dk

Larsen Bus - Københavns Bustrafik

http://larsenbus.dk/

mail@Larsenbus.dk

Herfølge Turistfart

http://www.incoming-denmark.dk

Viking Bus

http://www.vikingbus.com/

Lyngby Turistfart

http://www.lyngbyturistfart.dk/contact-us.html

There are many many more but this should do it.

Its not confirmed yet but i expect it will be the bus stops near Tornebuskgade.

The M is the access point to the metro

S is of course the S-train¨

RE is Regionaltog, Øresundstog (airport train) and long distance trains

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/N%C3%B8rreport.pdf

Thanks so much, Danish Viking!

From the pdf, is it true that if we take RE or S train, we have to use stair case?

We will be arriving at CPH airport, some family will be arriving KLM from Amsterdam, others Norwegian Shuttle from London, within 40 minutes of each other.

Do both flights arrive at same terminal?

Will we have to clear immigration in CPH? AMS, probably not, but from London??

Is there a good spot anyone could suggest to reconnect with all travelers?

Thank you for your help:)

I would say Bethel and Wake Up as a second choice.

Bethel is located opposite all the restaurants so its on the calm side of Nyhavn so I don´t get why anyone would call it noisy.

Recent reports on tripadvisor doesn´t mention any noise issue and the hotel is rated as the 6th best hotel in Copenhagen at the moment.

Thank you for your recommendation. I am reassured to hear that the Hotel Bethel should not be noisy.

Thanks so much, Danish Viking!

From the pdf, is it true that if we take RE or S train, we have to use stair case?

Yes that is correct.

The metro has escalators almost all the way up, only the last little bit is with stairs.

But there are elevators to all platforms.

We will be arriving at CPH airport, some family will be arriving KLM from Amsterdam, others Norwegian Shuttle from London, within 40 minutes of each other.

Do both flights arrive at same terminal?

Will we have to clear immigration in CPH? AMS, probably not, but from London??

Is there a good spot anyone could suggest to reconnect with all travelers?

Thank you for your help:)

You will arrive at the same terminal so the baggage claim area is the same.

The London flight will have to clear immigration first as Great Britain isn't a part of the Schengen countries where free travel is allowed.

Maybe the Pølsevogn (hot dog stand) at the baggage claim area could be a good spot to meet up.

If you exit the baggage claim area you will end up together with the departing passengers in terminal 3 so its not the ideal place to wait for each other.

Yes that is correct.

The metro has escalators almost all the way up, only the last little bit is with stairs.

But there are elevators to all platforms.

Thanks for your great help, Danish Viking!

I am not really clear as you said that "there are elevators to all platforms":

+ Does "all platforms" include platform for RE & S train OR just platform for Metro?

+ If we have luggage & there' s no escalator/elevator in train areas, it will be very difficult for us to take RE & S train areas to Norreport, correct? Then could you advise us another option - should we take Metro instead?

I am so sorry for disturbing you too much.

Thanks again!

Danish Viking,

Thank you so very much for the advice - it gives me peace of mind to have a designated meeting point! The "Hot Dog stand" it will be. Our overseas travelers will be pleased with that point as they will grab a quick snack!

I have read your entire posts and it has been so very helpful - thank you for your time.

Thanks for your great help, Danish Viking!

I am not really clear as you said that "there are elevators to all platforms":

+ Does "all platforms" include platform for RE & S train OR just platform for Metro?

+ If we have luggage & there' s no escalator/elevator in train areas, it will be very difficult for us to take RE & S train areas to Norreport, correct? Then could you advise us another option - should we take Metro instead?

I am so sorry for disturbing you too much.

Thanks again!

There are 3 platforms at Nørreport.

2 platforms just below street level located in a northern/southern direction, the westernmost located is the S-trains and the easternmost located is for long distance trains (including the trains from the airport.

These platforms has stairs in both ends of the platform and 1 or 2 elevators to street level.

Under these platforms there is a transfer tunnel connecting these platforms with metro.

The metro platform is located west of the S-train platform in a east/western direction, but is located very deep in the ground as it has the pass under the 2 other platforms

This platform has 2 elevators to street level and one to the transfertunnel.

There is also a set of escalators to street level and to the transfer tunnel.

If you look at the map of Nørreport I linked to when I posted about the new bus 25 you can see it more clearly.

Thank you so much.

Hi. As your information has been so helpful I wondered if you could help with another query..

We will be in copenhagen 30.6.2015. Docking at the freeport terminal. We were thinking taking the bus as you explained before, our query is, is it possible to walk into town viewing the little Mermaid on the way?

How long a walk would it be please.

Many thanks in advance

Mrs Tex

According to the cruise list there are no ships at the freeport that day.

There is Caribbean Princess at Oceankaj and Azura and AIDAdiva at Langeliniekaj.

I´m thinking that you mean Caribbean Princess

Its a way to long walk but I have a suggestion.

Take the 27 bus and get off at Søndre Frihavn, then follow this route

Its important that you don´t take bus 25 as it does´t stop at Søndre Frihavn.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/S%C3%B8ndre+Frihavn/Den+Lille+Havfrue,+Langelinie/Gefionspringvandet/Amalienborg+Slotsplads/Nyhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.6873664,12.5767879,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m30!4m29!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252e0968f4e45:0xa8c3c49d8638f8a8!2m2!1d12.593602!2d55.69499!1m5!1m1!1s0x464c90eb8d422103:0xdfa8900ca2351e3c!2m2!1d12.599283!2d55.69286!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652532092758a5d:0xca4f8b1b331039ae!2m2!1d12.597637!2d55.689328!1m3!2m2!1d12.5932156!2d55.6841483!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652533cd7fbc8c3:0x42e5ef91044ebd38!2m2!1d12.591804!2d55.679209!3e2

Edited by Danish viking

Hi

Many thanks for your speedy reply. Sorry yes we are on the Caribbean Princess and I put the wrong port.

I did read that it would take 40 mins to walk ti the Little Mermaid and onto the town, but have since been told thats underestimated.

I will certainly look into your suggestion, Many thanks for taking the time to help ;)